Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Sim City (PC DVD) forum

Is Anyone Really Surprised That This Fiasco Happened Yet...Again?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Mar 2013 11:01:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2013 14:26:39 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
Einstein defined idiocy as doing the same thing over and over and yet expecting a different outcome.

Mega-publishers are repeatedly trying to turn the beautiful artform of gaming into a utility, where "gaming content" will be streaming to your TV or PC or phone - and you will be charged by the second for it. Monopolistic issues aside, are they even remotely ready for such a model? It matter because their every attempt is (involuntarily!) financed by the customers they manage to scam in paying for games that do not deliver the gaming experience advertised.
Let's count the number of times the same idiocy was repeated, shall we?
-- HalfLife 2 (the first game to be tied to an OnLine account)
-- BioShock (the first game to require OnLine Activation & constant re-authentication)
-- Spore
-- Prince of Persia
-- Splinter Cell (or any UbiSoft game at this point)
-- Command & Conquer 4
-- Diablo 3
-- SimCity 2013 (and every single EA game requiring ORIGIN)
The list is long.

The problem with gaming today is not the hard-working and creative people working in game studios but the executives at the top of game publishing houses, the likes of EA, ActiVision/Blizzard and 2K.

They do not love, comprehend or even care about the product they are marketing. They might as well be peddling sacks of potatoes. And they clearly do not care about the game developers who provide them with games to market. They only care about one thing: their annual bonuses. And their bonuses depend solely on last years' profits.

That is why they operate on a very short-sighted basis.
Sell the most popular games in thin DLC slices? Sure!
Release games before they are completed? Why not?
Exploit a beloved franchise to promote the unpopular new Digital Distribution DRM? Go ahead!
Ruin the experience of most paying customers by forcing them to log on to servers they do not have? Who is to stop us?

They do not care about the company they are running (and the bigger it is, the easier to dissociate) because this time next year they may be running a company selling hardware or health care insurance or weed control. So, they do not care whether they insult, make angry and chase away customers the company they are now running enjoyed for years. It takes almost a decade for a game studio to acquire a loyal fan base. Yet it only takes a couple of months to chase them away never to come back.

But the bozos at the top do not care. They will have grabbed their fat bonuses and run.
Who is there to stop them?
Well, we all are. I, for one, have stopped buying EA and UbiSoft games for some time now.

We are the one standing in their path. And THEY. SHALL. NOT. PASS.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
(Source: neurosplicer.blogspot.com)

Posted on 9 Mar 2013 11:26:06 GMT
Honest joe1 says:
Completely agree gaming(especially on PC) is dying due to issues like you state, to buy all DLC for sims 3 will cost you over £250 it's driven by greed

Posted on 10 Mar 2013 10:10:20 GMT
Ian says:
I look at how much value I have got from the Humble Bundles for roughly the same amount of money as this, and I wonder why anyone buys EA.

Posted on 10 Mar 2013 16:04:09 GMT
What makes me laugh, is the large amount of people that buy these games on day 1, and then complain if things don't go smoothly. As if there aren't enough examples of day 1 disasters due to EA's aggressive DRM. You would think these people would learn, but they just can't help themselves. Like waiting 2-3 months to buy a game is too difficult.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 17:10:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2013 17:11:19 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
Simulation game series, the likes of THE SIMS and SimCity, have fans from all over the age, professional and gender spectrum. A good proportion of those who buy these game do not follow every single story surrounding the gaming industry. The liked the previous games and, in good faith, bought the next installment. Little did they know that EA would take advantage of them.

In fact, you could bet dollars to donuts that EA executives were counting on this uninformed crowd in order to slip them a fast one and continue with their schemes.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2013 15:24:29 GMT
J. Spencer says:
Mr. M. Simpson - of course in reality you're right, your point is valid and I personally haven't bought a game on release day for many years. However, are we simply accepting mediocrity by doing this? Surely we SHOULD EXPECT a new release, that we're parting with our hard-earned for, to have been properly tested beforehand and minor issues aside to actually work on day one?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2013 14:13:08 GMT
You can count me in on the list of peope boycotting ANY game with DRM.
Maybe DRM is the reason sales are falling.

I know I am scouring the older titles for games that have stood the test of time and are DRM and STEAM free

Start tagging these products "DRM blighted" or "STEAM Required"

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 20:54:14 GMT
sadoldbishop says:
I find STEAM a bit painful but so long as you can use offline mode for your game I can live with it

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 22:05:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2013 22:05:51 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
True, especially now that most STEAM games will go into offline mode if a connection is not found (up to some months ago, unless you were already in offline mode, STEAM would not start without a connection).
However, this is not true for ORIGIN, the POS this game runs on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sim City (PC DVD) forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  9 Mar 2013
Latest post:  30 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sim City (PC DVD)
Sim City (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.3 out of 5 stars (587)