on 25 July 2014
This book describes Cuba perfectly, and the author did an excellent job in all the topics. It has a great overview of economics, history and daily life in Cuba. As others have mentioned, the section on saving money is fantastic. The first time I went to Cuba, I spent a fortune. It's funny to look back it it now, but I fell for every trick imaginable.

After reading this guide, I was able to navigate Havana like a pro. I got a great apartment (casa particular) in Vedado and I was able to enjoy fantastic, huge meals at local restaurants for almost nothing. I even spent a week in Varadero and used the tips in this guide to take cheap rides on the local bus line and to use communal taxis to get around the city. Honestly, I never imagined Cuba could be so affordable. This guide really helped me. It's truly a different approach to travel books.

The website is great too. Look it up for free info.
on 26 July 2015
Having just come back from Cuba I can say this is a really useful book to take with you. It is clearly written in straightforward English and doesn't use complicated words - helpful when offering international travellers (perhaps those without english as a first language) the chance to consult or read it. All in all, it is a breath of fresh air when compared to Lonely planet and Rough Guide books.

The introduction to Cuba and the way of life it offers is brilliantly helpful and worth purchasing alone for that. The overview of Havana is excellent, but also many of the things written (especially in the earlier stages of the book) are helpful for your adventures across the whole country. It is written by someone who seemingly cares about the experience you have during your stay and isn't just a generic "this is what you should do".

One downside I felt was the inclusion of many of Vedado's places of interest...there is a focus on that area of Havana, especially when searching for restaurants away from Havana Vieja (La Habana Vieja/Old Havana). However, the author openly admits this bias so you know what you are getting.

In my humble opinion, you should buy this book to assist your visit to Cuba. It will prove to be a wise purchase if you invest the time to read it before and during your stay.
on 10 April 2015
Excellent book, quite different from the usual travel guides, it really does try to take you beyond the tourist trail and enhance your experience (and save you money too). I wouldn't travel to Havana ONLY with this book, but would definitely recommend it 100% as a great companion to a DK/LP etc. Well done to the author.
on 13 July 2014
I've been to Cuba once before and read many guide books. This is the most essential. I have now switched from a hotel to a Casa (not in the book) on the strength of what I've read. I know this book will transform my visit to Havana for the International Ballet Festival in October. A bargain!
on 13 February 2016
Just come back from a week in Havana and this book absolutely made the trip. The information contained is fantastic and lets you experience the real Havana like a local. Information on where to stay, areas to visit, the currencies, places to eat, how to get around, what to eat, the local customs and so much more.
- We stayed in a local Casa Particular
- We were able to take the local taxis and only pay a few CUP (Cuban Peso) this saved us the price of the book after only a couple of trips
- We were able to take a trip to Casablanca on the local ferry
- We visited the local town of Guanabo using a local taxi which again we only paid the local Peso rate for
The information is up to date and accurate, the only thing that has changed is the dropping of the 25 CUC exit charge. (I had the 2015 version, this might have been updated in the latest version.)
If you are going to Havana and want to properly explore the city you need to take this book, it is the best travel guide I've ever purchased.
on 30 June 2015
Says it's the 2015 edition, it may be but the prices haven't been updated for several years. It's descriptions of several areas are dubious, Obisbo Sy for instance has changed markedly. The prices too are way off. You will NOT get a beer for under 2CUC's anywhere.
on 25 May 2015
Excellent read and highly knowledgable. Will make the journey even more enjoyable
on 25 September 2015
So useful ! Great tips and advice ...very happy with this purchase !
on 16 June 2016
Do not rely on this book for Havana (the bonus section on Trinidad is useless) although some parts were useful such as taxi routes some parts were largely inaccurate (travelled to Cuba in June 2016). If you plan to purchase make sure you buy another general cuba travel book.
on 20 April 2016
This is a brilliant book! It saved the cost of the cover price within a day! Great tips on how to use local currency and shops to save a fortune. Tips on how to save on queuing and great little bits of information which made Havana a magical experience. Brilliant buy.