on 24 March 2010
.... to a nervous novice in the sewing department, like me! A delightful, informative book, that I will keep and use for many years to come. It is easy to dip into, to find just what you're looking for eg I wanted to find out if and when I was to cut into my darts, and found excellent instructions in here. There are even projects to make for the home, as well as some clothes, which is great as the 70's are still in current fashion. Well worth its weight in gold.
on 31 August 2013
As a fashion student, I really wanted a book that would be in-depth in a variety of different areas in regards to sewing and this book is definitely the one! The guides are really easy to follow with nice and clear illustrations for a professional finish. I was undecided about which version to buy, but I decided on the oldest edition and I think I made the right choice... It's not filled with writing which was one of my worries, just short notes alongside the images... Plus there's the section on home furnishings which I think is a fun little extra!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2012
This book has been around since 1978 in one form or another, and it dates from the days when making a garment from scratch was quite usual. Even so, it doesn't assume you already know the basics, and explains even the simpler things really well, so it is a superb buy for someone looking to go into proper dressmaking or designing their own clothes.

Use this book and you can produce properly made, couture-quality clothes at home. Or run up something for the kids using a remnant. It's your choice. The main part of the text takes you, step by step, through every aspect of making a garment, including cutting and fitting your own patterns, from underlying principles to finishing touches. There is guidance, with excellent diagrams, to all the processes involved. There are garments to make, too, with the patterns shown as diagrams for you to scale up to full size on paper.

The last section of the book is "sewing for the home" with patchwork projects, curtains, soft toys - the whole lot, including a four-foot-long cuddly Stegosaurus! But the main emphasis is on clothes.

Because the clothes are designed from first principles, the book hasn't dated; in fact, many of the 1970s clothes featured are exactly what is in the shops at the moment, which is amusing! I would recommend this book very highly indeed to anyone interested in learning to design, in taking their sewing skills beyond the basics in most recent books, or especially in following the "new thriftiness" by adapting and altering clothes or making something new from something old.
on 6 July 2015
The very book I needed. So lucky to have found one. I found our sewing teacher at school, in the sixties, patronising and foul tempered. The result was that I shut down to sewing completely and have only now discovered, at the age of 65, how much fun it can be to sew and embroider.
on 18 November 2009
The instructions were clear and easy to understand. plus illustrations were easy to follow. The book is being shared by my 12 year old granddaughter and she is now making presents for her friends in school for christmas. A great asset for home craft enthusiasts.
on 3 February 2009
This book is fantastic it tells you anything you would want to know about sewing it is easy to follow the instructions. Would definately say to anyone thinking of buying it go ahead you will not regret it.
on 29 January 2013
Probably no better book than the 1978 edition. Includes tailoring instruction. Beautifully illustrated and clearly written. You won't regret buying it.
on 6 August 2015
The book itself is very helpful and packed with clear explanations and diagrams. Some illustrations are dated but that is to be expected from this first edition. Unfortunately the copy I was sent smelt musty and still does a few days later. Also it was described as in very good condition which I would dispute as there also quite a few marks on pages. So five stars for the actual book and three for its condition.
on 16 August 2013
A brilliant book for people learning to sew, good reference manual with straightforward explanations and diagrams. Was highly recommended by friends who sew, who tell me they are still using their copy after years.
on 22 January 2010
Very good guide for beginners and experienced sewers alike.Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing