Table of Contents
Foreword By Martin E. Marty
Pt. I. Our Culture and the Church's Worship
Pt. II. The Culture Surrounding Our Worship
- 1. Why This Book Is Critically Needed
Pt. III. The Culture of Worship
- 2. Inside the Technological, Boomer, Postmodern Culture
- 3. Outside the Idolatries of Contemporary Culture
- 4. Upside-Down: Worship as a Subversive Act
Pt. IV. The Culture in Our Worship
- 5. God as the Center of Worship: Who Is Worship For?
- 6. The Character of the Believer: Having Content or Being Content?
- 7. The Character of the Church as Christian Community: What Is at Stake?
Pt. V. Worship for the Sake of the Culture
- 8. Throwing the Baby Out with the Bath Water or Putting the Baby in Fresh Clothes: Music
- 9. Worship Ought to Kill Us: The Word
- 10. Discovering Our Place in the Story: Ritual and Liturgy and Art
Appendix: Sample Children's Sermons Works Cited
- 11. Reaching Out without Dumbing Down
- 12. The Church as Its Own Worst Enemy: Is It Happening Again?