Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Dec 2008 14:46:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2008 10:05:46 GMT
Buggerlugs says:
Has anyone noticed that on eBay.co.uk premierposters was selling the CE for £99.99 but had 10 (yes, that's right, TEN) available. I sent her/him a question asking how come s/he got TEN. Not only that but premierposters had ANOTHER ad on ebay selling a further TEN! That's TWENTY in all! Not surprisingly, I did not receive a reply! Last time I looked (about 10 minutes ago) both ads had been withdrawn!?! Even if one of the ads was a mistake, that's still 8 more than anyone else got! That set me wondering - Does anyone have any idea what the maximum per customer was throughout the last four months, or so? I mean I ordered 2 CEs way back in August and I received 2. BUT when I tried to order another last week, Amazon wouldn't let me. QUITE RIGHT TOO!!! I think Amazon should have realised the enormous popularity potential of the CE, and rationed the CE to one per customer ON ALL AMAZON's SITES! That means USA, Canada, France, Germany, etc. That would have been the fairest way. Does anyone else agree with me?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2008 21:31:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Dec 2008 21:32:28 GMT
kittiwake says:
When it was first released for pre-ordering, there was no limit. The limit of 2 came later. Some opportunists must have got their orders in early! I ordered 3 on pre-order release day - one for each of my children and the order was accepted. There is one that is up to £139 on ebay at the moment, but my children love theirs far too much to consider selling them. I am amazed they are being bought at this price so close to sell-out - they were available for ages on Amazon; why didn't people just get them then?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2008 10:02:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Dec 2008 10:37:36 GMT
Buggerlugs says:
I received a reply (of sorts) from premierposters!
They said:- " We reserved our stock before any limit was imposed on allocation."
This sounds to me like business talk! "... our stock..."! Guess what? It IS a shop on eBay. I've just looked! They probably bought ten books for £500 and are hoping to sell them all for £999 literally doubling their profit margin. As for you quoting one for £139 there is one on Amazon's US site (amazon.com) where someone has put a price of $1,599.99 !! THAT IS SHEER GREED!!! As to your last point; if 10,000 shops, people, or whoever bought 10 CEs before order limitations came into force, there would not be enough. Supply and demand dictates that if people want it so badly, they will pay ANYTHING!! I don't like it any more than most people, particularly those that missed out. I hope that if Amazon releases anything like this again, they learn from past mistakes!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2008 20:13:39 GMT
As Kittiwake says, there was no limit. Then restrictions were brought in to a limit of 4 then it went down to 2. Although most people find it greedy and unrightuous to resell the books for more than its original price. These are shops or small businesses that makes it their business to increase their profits by being on the look out for these kind of limited edition items. There's isnt anything wrong in what they are doing in my view as there is a market out there who missed out on buying a copy and is willing to pay the slap on a profitable premium price. £500 is not a lot, just another little bit added to their p&l. Its the individuals (and yes some shops) who charge excessively that annoys me. £100 for a limited edition that originally cost £50 is just about fair. But charging hundreds of pounds is...yeah, sinful!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2009 14:47:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2009 17:51:09 GMT
Buggerlugs says:
Hi Professor Potter. Thank you for your contributions to the whole discussion boards including this one. There is a seller on eBay who is selling his Collector's Edition copy for £1,499.99 + £9.99 P & P claiming that his copy/ies (he bought 5) are more 1/1 than anyone elses! If Amazon printed ALL 100,000 off, all at once; then they should ALL be 1/1, shouldn't they? As far as I can tell the only "real 1/1" was the one Amazon bought at auction. However I have a question which I hope you will be able to answer for me. - Alongside the number sequence 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 there is another sequence - 08 09 10 11 12. Any ideas what they represent?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  26 Dec 2008
Latest post:  4 Jan 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions