Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.58

on 4 May 2013
These are three separate novels, featuring three separate private investigators, in three separate scenarios. They have nothing to do with each other. Once you've got that clear and stop looking for links (as I did initially), then the tales themselves become quite enjoyable in their own right. You'll need a gallon of willing suspension of disbelief, though, what with at least one werewolf, two vampires, and a vampire slayer. But that's what fiction is all about, after all!
on 31 May 2013
My reason for only rating this as OK - should become apparent, as should my reason for not moving onto the second novel.

I like to read without distraction and was constantly distracted away from some good story telling by the type of spelling mistakes that tend to get my mind wandering elsewhere, it does appear that spellcheckers (which can't differentiate between similar words) have replaced proof readers.

The type of spelling mistakes I refer to (this is not a comprehensive list but just a few I recall): Curb for Kerb; Past for Passed; Stories for Storeys; Away for A Way; Then one that really distracted me... I began wondering why all the stores, with the exception of one were implied to be moving, it took me quite a while, after realising the stationary store referred to was actually a stationery store, to get my mind back on track - my mind kept drifting back to the moving stores - and asking WHY? ☺

Now the above might seem trivial to some, but this was my bedtime reading and after finishing the novel which featured vampires and a werewolf nightmares might seem to be acceptable ...but NOT ABOUT BLOODY EARTHQUAKES!

I do not like to criticise anything unless it is constructive and hope if the author reads this it will be taken on board - I actually thought that the story was very good and imaginative and hope this review perhaps plants the idea for a story about someone so influenced by what has been read that it is incorporated into their dreams - If so my name is David.

And finally we are asked to end a review by saying who we would recommend the book to.

That's simple to answer - A GOOD PROOF READER ☺☺☺
on 22 August 2013
Dreadful. Too many "F" words throughout the 3 short stories. There is absolutely no need for this sort of language at all. Altogether a very disappointing read although the Dark Horse (which I already have) is perhaps the best of the bunch.
on 22 October 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the three novels featuring three separate detectives from different backgrounds and I particularly liked the humorous dark horse story. I enjoyed the writing style in this one best due to dark horse being a more wittier sarcastic type of detective. Plus the description of a fit young blue eyed blonde haired hunk of a man appealed to me!

At first I thought that the first novel would into into the second but then I realised they were totally different entities. Although the plots within we're resolved, the reader is left with a few unanswered questions regarding the detectives' personal circumstances but I guess that is a cunning ploy to encourage the reader to obtain the next novel in the series relating to the specific detective to find out the answers. In this instance I may pick up the next book in relation to dark horse or perhaps follow all three detectives to discover more but at the moment I'm in the mood for a lighthearted romance and so will put the detectives to the backburner for now. Enjoy.....
on 22 March 2014
What a fantastic collection of books. Moon Dance was so gripping I couldn't put it down. I really thought the author was a woman as he nailed it perfectly - Sam as a mother. The anger and tears flowed with Sam and Danny - how could he!! I downloaded the follow-up series to vampire for hire series.
Dark horse was excellent too. a real justice to be done and glad Jim knighthorse did that! Did not guess the murderer!
The vampire with the Dragon tattoo was good too. Not normally my kind of book but it was a shorter story than the others. Highly recommended
on 8 April 2014
I know that this was a free book and there are 3 novels within it but they are for the most part the start of a series. It is very true that people do have to earn a living but too often now quite a few books could have been one very reasonable length rather than a number of shorter (series?) books. I will freely admit I prefer a good (long) book however, the other consideration is like most people these days I have limited funds so have to be careful how I spend my cash. having said all that give the book a go nothing to lose.
on 10 May 2013
I wasn't sure about vampire books but this so far is brill. I can't wait to read the rest of the free downloads I have. I think this is fantastic. What a good way to get authors noticed. Thanks.
on 19 June 2014
I am currently in the middle of reading this book but so far so good. When I have finished, I will continue with review. I have finally completed reading the rest of this book, and I was not disappointed at all. three excellent stories and very comical characters as well. excellent stories.
on 2 July 2013
Three great stories, three great characters.All three are twists on the Raymond Chandler theme, written with a cocked hat to the style and genre but infused with varying amounts of the supernatural, romance and terror to make these quite unique pieces of work.
Easy reading, the plots and developments flowing seamlessly, well crafted and professionally delivered, these stories left me looking for more by J R Rain, which - I suspect - is exactly what they were meant to do!
Excellent.
on 11 June 2013
I loved the heroine, she is so normal. A wife, mother and detective. it is so heart-rending the way she tries to live a normal life, well as normal as you can be as a vampire. I can't wait to read book two.
The second novel is well written, I liked it, but not as much as Moon dance. Still a very good read though.
The third is as good as the first, The detective the kind I would wish on my side if I was in trouble.
All in all, worth every penny.