on 17 June 2004
There are a lot of how-to books on the market but this is one of the few that contains real, no-nonsense advice on how to produce a low budget film.
Like Grove's earlier book 'Write the Hot Script', this condenses a great deal of information into its 400 pages and shows you how to plan out and prepare yourself for the long journey involved in getting a film produced.
I've actually been on the 'lo-to-no budget course' itself which costs around £200. While you won't get the chance to network with upcoming filmmakers, the book does collect together all the information in an easy to read format and comes with a free CD containing all those contracts and budget forms which you'll need and it costs less than a 10th of the price!
Once you have decided to make your own film, you'll need this book to give you the necessary information on how to get your ideas onto celluloid. Indispensable.
on 11 June 2004
Okay I'm not going to be pretencious in this review, its my first one so all I can be is honest. This book is really good. Not too technical and filled with forms and not too storylike. It cleverly presents useful information in a manner which is both easily readable and enjoyable. The cd has a good few good forms and a shorts. If you want more forms buy The Complete film Production Handbook (an absolute essential buy) but if you want inside facts, tips how to survive and recipes for fake blood get this. Written by a man who knows what he's talking about this book is extremely up to date and a great buy.
on 5 July 2004
Quite simply this book truly excellent and deserves to become "the bible" for low to no budget film making. There is a phenomenal amount of very practical and useful information in the book. It answers many of the questions I have needed answers to. It you only buy one book on film making this should be it! I have read a whole range and this the best.
I found the most useful bit in the book so far is your advice on creating track record when you have none!
It is hard work becoming a filmmaker but this book provides a great roadmap.
on 14 November 2005
Clear and to the point, this is the best book I've read on how to get your film made, and made on budget. The only problem now is there are no more excuses for not doing it! A great investment, and the CD-ROM is a brilliant bonus.
on 3 June 2004
To be a filmmaker is a dream that many aspiring neophytes never quite achieve. Not due to lack of talent or ambition, but rather the absence of essential knowledge of how to get a project off the ground. Whether you're dreaming up a film of your own and being harassed by naysayers or just interested in how the filmmaking process can work on an individual's own locomotion, Lo-to-No Budget Filmmaking is the book for you. Having recently attended one of the author's Raindance courses, the "Filmmaker's Foundation Certificate," I can say that Elliot's personality, wit, and insight have made the journey to the printed page flawlessly. It almost seems as if he dictated the book straight from the longest, most detailed course he could have ever taught -- and presented it in a manner accessible to aspiring filmmakers around the world. Being an American myself, it was only by luck that I managed to be in London to attend the aforementioned Raindance course, but no matter where you're living, the experiences recounted by author and interviewees alike are an incredible resource for the reader, regardless of what level of interest one has in the filmmaking process. Lo-to-No even includes a CD packed with materials that could turn a script and some interested cohorts into an unstoppable film project. If you can't make it to London to hear Elliot Grove's courses in person, at least do yourself the favor of checking out the Raindance Producer's Lab. If Elliot's wisdom helped Guy Ritchie and Christopher Nolan, there's no reason it can't work for you.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2007
Elliot Grove's exhaustive guide to the independent filmmaking process is not only informative but is also enormously entertaining. Packed full of useful industry tips for budding filmmakers (not only producers will benefit from this great book) and Elliot's wit that pervades the text to make it an absolute essential for anyone serious about making a film.

This book must go alongside 'The Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook' as the most outstanding indie guide on the market and they both have pride of place on my shelf. In fact, I wouldn't consider ever making another film without these two for reference. Eliot guides you through the highs and lows of making a low-budget indie and how to prepare from development right through to post-production and marketing.

Perhaps the most pleasing touch is the confidence this book gives you while reading. Filmmaking can be inexorable and, at times, will leave you questioning your motivations and 'Producers' Lab' just knows the right tonics to pick you up again. Though never disingenuous about the tough nature of the film industry, the book eschews the negative aspects to give belief that making a film, especially these days, is more than achieveable.

If you are a budding filmmaker you need to buy this book. It really is as important as that.
on 18 April 2009
It's time I started making my films. Although I have a background in stills photography and lab work, I have no knowledge of the world of film-making. I bought 'Making Short Films' by C Thurlow, but, although it was an interesting read, I was disappointed because it was nothing like 'The complete Guide from Script to Screen' it proclaimed. This Raindance Producers Lab title is exactly what I need. Absolutely packed with all the nuts-and-bolts advice you could want. Very detailed and concise, I finally know what a focus puller does... The only information I feel is slightly out of date is, by its very nature, the Digital Video Format, which is improving at a rate that no mainsteam book can keep up with. That's really the job of the special interest magazines that constantly track the DV development.
Having bought 8 filmmaking instructional books, all with some merit, I have no hestitation in recommending Mr Grove's book as the top of the pile and I will certainly be looking into the courses Raindance offers.
For others thinking of striking out into filmmaking I would add that I'm in my 50's and finally have the time and resources to follow a path I've been trying to take for three decades. I can't waste time on hunting down the information.
Buy this book.
on 23 May 2007
Having bought hundreds of pounds worth of low budget film making books, which disappointed me. I was pleased to find a book like this, which went into far more depth than anything else I've ever read. The book has details on all different types of low budget film making, not just digital but it also covers 35mm.

Included is an excellent CD-ROM.

Overall, I just have to say if you're a low budget film maker I'd recommend getting this for research.

PME
on 26 April 2007
guide to the film business.

I really couldn't reccommend this book enough, if you are, like me, a complete novice to the rules and customs of the film business this is a comprehensive guide that seems to cover all neccassary ground for you to get started on making your first film.

Writer, Elliot Grove, founder of the Raindance Film Festival/UK Independent Film Awards writes this with as little pretense and unneccessary jargon possible, using his personal experiences in his advice and that it is all this book is ... advice. It doesn't claim to be any sort of 'Film Bible'. Film books, well decent ones tend to be expensive but where this is not cheap, its source is legitimate and has the body of work and experience to back him up.

As well as basic rules and advice, it provides useful further reading and viewing with which to apply your newly acquired knowledge. Not only this, but the extra CD-Rom workshop is an excellent way to apply the theories and ideas in the book to make a start on your project.
on 19 February 2007
It's easy to get discouraged when you read Filmmaking 'How to' books that are written from a US perspective, they cover the necessary stages well enough but it's the details they lack - yeah, we know LA is the place to be, but what are your options if you want to make your feature film in London. Where are the facilities? Where are potential crew members?

This is one of the reasons I found Elliot's book very helpful. It gives first class guidance on getting a film made for the first timer but is also a handy reference from the UK perspective. It covers pretty much everything you need to know about and has some really handy advice and interviews from industry sources.

I would definitely recommend this book for the aspiring filmmaker and also his other book 'Write & sell the hot screenplay' for anyone interested in screenwriting.