TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 September 2014
This is more like it. I was decidedly underwhelmed by the first book in the series (Cold Sacrifice) and hummed and hawed a bit before buying this one but I'm glad I did as it had me turning the pages quickly to find out what was coming next. The plot, a man is murdered at York races, has all the requisite twists and turns to make it a good read and I particularly enjoyed all the dead ends and frustrations as it made it all seem more realistic. If I have one criticism I feel that Ms Russell's characters are all a bit stereotypical and not as well developed as they could be but this is minor as Race To Death is very much a plot driven novel. It is a good way to spend a few hours.
on 25 September 2014
I read the first DI Ian Peterson book and couldn't really get into the character, even though I knew him from the fabulous Geraldine Steel novels. I wondered if Leigh Russell was doing the right thing. How wrong I was. I was more captivated by this 2nd novel wondering where the next twist would come from. If all the novels improve like this one has, then Leigh's onto another winner. Definitely worth reading. Top marks.
on 15 September 2014
A good enough story to pass the time. An easy read, with a plot which seemed to me to be 'a bit laboured.' The characters were clearly defined and the Detective Inspector appeared to work incredible hours: however I did not think it was relevant to keep telling me how beautiful the women were looking. I read the whole story in order to discover how the D.I. would solve the murders and was pleased for him that he managed to do so in the end.
on 22 December 2014
I rated this book with 5 stars because it is a well written enjoyable read.
I would recommend it to all who like an interesting story.
on 27 July 2014
A newly-promoted and newly-arrived in town DI quickly has to deal with a mysterious death at a racecourse, while also trying to settle in to a new home and support his wife who is finding their new life difficult. The killer, however, does not stop at one victim so the pressure mounts on both the work and home fronts, leaving Ian Peterson struggling to make sense of what is going on.

Though I've read a couple of Leigh Russell's books before they only rarely featured short appearances by Ian Petersen, the protagonist of this one. However, as this is only the character's second spin-off book I don't think I had a significantly diminished experience by knowing almost nothing about him when I started reading. I found him a very sympathetic character, exhibiting frailties of which many of us are guilty, and struggling with his work-life balance. It's definitely a cliché that fictional coppers have problems with their marriages and/or other aspects of their home lives, but this portrayal felt realistic and something the reader could identify with. His wife Bev is equally well drawn and we see her struggle to orient herself in a new town, a new job, and coming to terms with the fact that she could be seen as less important in the marriage than Ian due to their basing their lives on his career path rather than hers.

The York setting of the book is interesting and the idea of a murder in a place as busy as a racecourse is intriguing. The book is very good on the procedural aspects of crime investigation in that it shows that what at first appears to be a credible lead can end up in a dead end. The pressure from more senior officers to make arrests quickly also has a realistic feel. If the book has a theme it's that appearances can be deceptive, as time and time again individuals' actions demonstrate a very different personality to their public persona.

This is the kind of book that you want to race through to find out how it comes out so it felt like a bit of a rollercoaster ride with the speed picking up in the last quarter. It's very cleverly plotted and I certainly didn't realise the direction it was going in until the author wanted me to. When I finished I was happy that all the loose ends had been tied up and there were no elements that felt overly contrived, so all in it was a well-written, diverting read. It may not live long in the memory, but I don't think it aims to, rather it entertains while you're reading it and whets your appetite for the books in the series that will follow.
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2015
I purchased this book in the 99p deal. Was it money well spent? Absolutely. I won't talk about plot or about the books description because if you're reading this you will have an idea of the story. It's well paced, and this is due to the authors sparing need for procedural detail unless required. You are given enough to know why things are being done a certain way, without being bogged down in Police policy. Peterson is portrayed as a determined DI who still has a human quality not yet eroded through work. It's rare, in an ever increasing genre, to find a writer you want too read more from. I will be. Go ahead, buy the book.
on 30 December 2014
Bought as a Christmas present in hardback and then bought Kindle edition for myself. It's set in York and a good read leaving you in suspense until the final pages. When I read it I bought the first one in the series to see what had happened prior to this with the main character. I am enjoying this book as well.
on 29 January 2015
Peterson made a good sidekick to D.I. Steele and his girlfriend a background nag. Now married she becomes a liability. The book concludes with her demand that he leave the police. I hope he continues to obey her or the next volume may be very like Gone Girl as Bev has much in comon with Amazing Amy.
on 23 January 2015
This book was good all the way through, Ian was promoted to Detective inspector and had to move to York for the job with wife Bev , so Bev had to leave her job to go to York . Ian is now on his first case as a Detective inspector there are three murders Ian has to find the Killer.
on 18 January 2015
Liked the way the main characters did not appear to be connected until close to the end
Nice ending leaving an opening for the next story featuring the same detective could turn into a nice series following his life and career
One to look out for