on 16 March 2015
This is a simple reference book that is poor, not relevant if you want to design and develop RESTful web services from scratch and extremely disappointing as text. Fed up with this continuous stream of books from O'Reilly that try to get to the latest technology trend and monetise.
on 19 November 2011
This book is for those who understand what REST is, understand the importance of the hypermedia constraint, have maybe read "REST in Practice" (my recommended background reading), have read probably a hundred blog posts about REST... and are still slightly unsure about how to actually do it, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty detail. If you feel like that, join the club.

REST is somewhat abstract, and there's no absolute right way or wrong way. Plus there's many many facets of REST that you have to consider when designing your service.

And that's where this book comes in... in an abstract realm, it gives you wonderfully concrete guidance in the form of Recipes. How to do this. When to do that. Covering the main areas of concern - Uniform Interface, Resources, Representations, URIs, Linking, Atom, Content Negotiation, Queries, Caching, Security and more - there are a decent number of recipes per area that cover all the common questions and concerns that service designers have.

I wanted to know how to evaluate whether Atom Syndication Format would be a good fit for my service... there's a recipe for that. I wanted to know how exactly to implement caching and conditional requests - there are multiple recipes for that.

Plus there are warnings about pitfalls that could save your service... I was going to put crucial information (an API key) in a custom HTTP header, but this book informed why that's a really bad idea.

In short, this book is just essential for all REST service designers and implementors. It currently sits to the side of my monitor, and I consult it many times a day when I'm working on our REST service. You're not going to want to read it from start to finish though: it's purely a reference book... an incredibly useful and practical reference book.

One more thing: it pleases me to see that the wonderful Mike Amundsen contributed to ten of the recipes. Mike's a key thinker in this area, and toilers in the RESTful fields should get to know his work.
on 8 September 2015
This is without doubt one of the most useful books I have found on RESTful Web Services and I constantly refer to it during my application design. Apart from being clear and well written, the best thing about this book is that it takes dozens of of examples of everyday business programming problems that you may have solved on other systems and explains how to achieve the same thing in a RESTful way. I found this book especially useful coming from a legacy background, many books give simple examples but fail to explain how to solve real-world business problems, which is where this book excels.
on 10 November 2012
I was never a massive fan of the cookbook style but this book changed my mind. Its chock full of practical and well written recipes, covering good HTTP behavior right through to REST.
on 3 February 2013
really is so clear, so easy to read, and complete, the methodology is perfect, step by step, nice format in Kindle, with many examples, cases.