on 14 August 2007
This was a gift i received as my mum works for norwich union and they bought RAC and therefore got a discount on this unit. Its the cheapest sat nav out there and all in all not a bad unit.

If you want a simple clear sat nav to get you from A to B with minimal fuss and redirect you if you go wrong then this is an ideal unit for you.

However i was interested in the safety camera alerts and was disappointed. The database has 2300 locations for the whole UK, there are 25 around watford where i live all that have been there for over 4 years and it didnt have any of them in its database, I am yet to go past a camera that it has detected! As per other reviews they are listed as red lights.

So I like any other technically minded person assumed, no problems the product spec promises free updates to the safety camera database, through route66 who provide the navigation software. But when you go to route66 they only offer updates for pocket PCs and not for the software used on the RAC200, they said in email to me that they didn't promise anything and to go back to RAC. I think it is wrong for RAC to promise free updates that are not available and from route66s response, doesn't appear ever will be.

Again though dont let this put you off buying one, it all depends on what you want from your sat nav, if safety cameras are not important to you then everything else on it is very good.
11 comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2007
Unlike some of the other reviews I found the RAC 200 a smashing sat nav, very easy to operate, nice clear graphics, strong window suction, neat and
robust design. I've had no problems with my unit and would highly recommend, if you just want a basic sat nav to get you from A to B at a fantastic price then this is the unit for you.
on 3 August 2007
i've had quite a few problems with my tomtom so i exchanged it for an RAC 200 and its so much better. it seems to pick up reception pretty quick and i havent noticed any blackspots either. the fuzzy search thing has been pretty useful too. when i rang them about how to update speed cameras they said it's free (via [...]) using a standard usb cable to link it up to my pc. so for the price i can't fault it and would definately recommend.
on 24 June 2007
I've been putting off buying a GPS because I really couldn't see the need to spend all that money when a map costs so little. I finally took the plunge because my wife isn't too good at map reading and gets around the country a lot taking my daughter to swimming competitions in towns and cities she doesn't know very well. This device has proved a great buy, being reasonably priced (even better at the price on Amazon, I paid £30 more)and very easy to use. Out of the box it was charged up already and quickly picked up several satellites to give my position. I have used it on several long journeys where the 7 digit post code search has proved invaluable. It provides dynamic re-routing which if you persevere past a few requests for you 'to turn around when safe to do so', it provides a suitable alternative. The maps supplied are reasonably up to date although I have come across a few road changes not in the database. The speed camera database can be updated over the web for free from the Route66 website having plugged the gps into a computer via a USB cable (not supplied). The only downside with the device is the appalling documentation which suggests that you need an sd card reader to update the speed camera database and doesn't indicate how you do the update. It also suggests backing up the sd card because if you were to corrupt it, it cannot be replaced without charge. This is rubbish as the whole database is supplied on cd-rom with the GPS, so come on RAC, do yourself a favour and re-do the documentation, it would then receive a 5 star rating.
0Comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2007
This is my second in-car SatNav. The first one I had was a TomTom One which was great but I've just bought this one for my other car and I think it's even better. The interface isn't quite as "flashy" as the TomTom but for navigation it's even better.

Contrary to some of the other reviews, my device hasn't locked up once and has proved faultless in its navigation around the UK. A handy addition in the mapping is when motorway driving, it displays which road sign you should follow on the map as well as the directions so when you're at a complicated junction changing between motorways it's very handy.

Satellite reception is excellent even in the middle of Manchester surrounded by high-wise buildings. All-in-all a great little device for the money and it does come with the speed cameras installed but I think a little is "lost in translation" from American descriptions to UK descriptions.
on 24 July 2007
This is a good unit , I ve found it very accurate and had no problems with it. Good price from Amazon it does the job so no need to spend hundreds of pounds to get the same results for the sake of 'flashier' graphics.
on 8 November 2007
Didn't want to spend £loads so I got this and am very happy with it. Had seen a tom tom in action before and this RAC looks just as good for lots less money. The search engine is the best feature, you can just give it fragments of addresses and it still finds it. Only negative would be the speed cameras but I figure they move around and appear all the time so it's tough keeping them up to date but I didn't buy it for those anyway. Well made, looks good wouldn't be without it now.
on 6 August 2007
It does all the basic stuff and its got a good database of 'points of intrest'.
It seems to not loose signal in central london around high buildings, like some other satnavs do.
some small industrial estates dont appear on map. and the odd postcode doesnt seem to exist.
However, appart from the above its a very good system. put it this way you wont get lost with it. and it'll fit in your pocket too. instructions for updates are rubbish and as a result i havent done any updates to it cos i dont want to break it! not bad at all though!!
on 18 July 2007
Seeing some of the other reviews which give this a very poor rating, I thought I would balance things up a bit (but only a bit!). In fairness, this is my first ever Satnav, which was received as a present, so I have no others to compare against. However, I find it to be a satisfactory unit and will address my experiences in respect of the criticisms:

1. It's true that the printed manual isn't great, but there's a much more detailed manual available on the supplied CD which lists all the functions.

2. Contrary to another review, there ARE safety cameras installed, but I understand why people might miss them as for some daft reason they're called "Red Lights" on this unit! (I suspect it may be a result of translation from another language).

3. I've had the unit lock-up a couple of times but on both occasions it's been in the exact same location, so maybe a GPS reception problem? I found the reset button worked, though.

It is one of the cheaper units out there, so I guess you get what you pay for. For my needs it's fine.
on 13 August 2008
I bought this unit 13 months ago - it has served me well over the past year and is easy to use. However, it is impossible to use the updates, they don't work - so don't be fooled by what is written on the box. The speed camera locations are excellent in some parts of the country but others not (e.g. there are many cameras in London which are not included).
The suction clamp is problematic, it would fall of the window and had to be carefully installed to maximise suction - too fiddly.
The unit is flimsy - the socket for the USB cable which plugs in for charging starts to become loose. It would charge at an angle (I should have returned it - fool me!). It then snapped. It was out of guarantee, so I opened it to fix it - it is merely soldered in place - very flimsy, so be warned.
I won't be buying another one - route 66 is good, however the quality of the unit is below standard - RAC should have done better.
Generally a good, entry level unit, but be careful of the build quality - I did treat mine with 'kid gloves' but still it failed after 13 months.

See one answered question