on 26 February 2014
After reading a couple of the other books in this series I felt it necessary to get the whole lot. This one has got to be my favourite. It's so handy to have with me in classes. Makes my job so much easier.
on 5 March 2014
There are so many time pressures put on teachers that it is sometimes difficult to think of innovative and effective ways to engage learners. This book is just right; it provides some great ideas without going overboard with detail - perfect to dip into as and when required. I've used several of the ideas already, and they've had a real impact.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2015
There is nothing wrong with any of the ideas presented here but there is no real exploration of the ideas or need for the book. For example suggesting splitting your class into two groups, one debating and one commenting on the debate, is a fine idea for some situations but if the book adds nothing to it beyond that suggestion then why does this exist as a book? It's the sort of thing that could be reduced to a couple of web pages. So great ideas and the book is cheap but it doesn't explore any of the ideas in depth.
on 8 April 2014
Really helpful little book when stuck on that rainy Sunday afternoon and the thought of year 11 first thing. Some of the activities we've all heard of before but it's a nice reminder we're all doing it right.
on 27 June 2014
The ideas are set out very well and it is easy to read. It has some good ideas and suggestions which can be adapted for the class. Only criticism is that but is aimed at the older classrooms.
on 20 June 2015
Same fodder you get in a bulk standard introduction to teaching book. Okay for an NQT but not much use for experienced teacher.
on 1 April 2015
Does what it says on the tin. If you are a bit stuck for activities, this is the book for you. Definitely a bargain.
on 30 March 2015
Ok. Presentation poor and a bit overpriced for what you get.
on 20 December 2014
Always good to have a load of ideas at the ready. I teach in a PRU, where the pupil group changes regularly and engagement is essential and often extremely challenging. What works well one day will not work another. Individual pupils can have a massive impact on the attitude if the group so I have to draw from a whole range of strategies and be prepared to alter my planning to best enable the pupils in front of me to make progress. This is my first Mike Gershon book and it won't be my last. It's straightforward and practical. I use his ideas, adapting them for my small groups. They are highly engaging and fun. It doesn't matter how long you're been teaching, you can always try something new/again. When observed I receive outstanding or good but I know that I am on a journey where I will take ideas, advice and anything else to help me do my job well without sacrificing my life/my family. Well worth it.
on 10 January 2016