on 15 November 2007
I heard my mum and grandma talking about this book and decided to read it. They were laughing at parts of the book, especially when it came to the advice they got from magazines. Some of the stories are sad but the women who tell them are all so different - some of them really made me laugh. After reading it I've learned to appreciate good health care, but also to respect older women. They had tough times. It's not just about giving birth but about daily life as a wife and mother. I loved it and learned so much
on 30 November 2013
A book of true short stories from women throughout the war years up to the 1960's about how life affected them throughout being pregnant and the way they were looked after through childbirth and afterwards by the medical staff and society in general. Makes me glad to have had my children when we were better looked after and had a choice about what happens to us.
All in all a fab read.
on 6 May 2013
I read this book one rainy afternoon. It is so well written and put together with interesting magazine snippets from the time. The mother's memoirs are addictive. I thought I'll just read one more, then do some housework. Well, just another one, etc., until I had finished the whole thing. My children were born in the early 70's when things were a little better, but not entirely! I loved the piece about Elizabeth the Spina Bifida baby, what a brave girl.
on 8 May 2013
Really good read we think it painful today but our grandmothers just had to get on with it. Each story is brilliantly told.
on 13 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this price of nostalgia. It really made me think what it was like for these women and not so long ago. If you are fond of kitchen sink drama please read this wonderful book .where can I find another just like it?
on 30 March 2013
Some of the stories in this short book were very familiar. My sons were born in the 1960's and the 'rules' then were a world away from today, so this book caused smiles and winces in equal measure.
on 1 June 2014
Not quite what I expected, the book consists of lots of 'letters' from mothers who had babies at different times of the 20th century! Don't get me wrong it's very interesting, the differences between the different years, classes and area's of Britain are quite astounding. I didn't have my first baby till 1974 and I thought that was quite an experience and everyone seemed secretive but I found some of the 'letters' unbelievably naive. Well worth reading. ph
on 27 October 2015
I found this book very interesting as I had children in the 60s and 70s when men weren't encouraged to be at the birth. I insisted on my husband being there which didn't go down very well. I'm glad I was born when I was as I wouldn't have liked it in the past. A good read if you are interested in history.
on 24 March 2014
Yvonne Barlow explains the history of childbirth, midwifery and medical interventions through the ages up until the 1960s through vignettes of various mother's first hand experiences.
A well written and well researched book for those wishing to gain an historical perspective of childbirth.
on 14 May 2015
not so different from my delivery of my daughter in 1983 no pain relief to late . didn't believe me when i said she was coming . didn't get to have a lying in period. sent home two days later with a load of stitches that became infected and engorged breasts. oh by the way i was a single mum