Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 November 2003
This is one of 6 CORBA books that I have (the other books are "Enterprise CORBA", "Java Programming with CORBA", "MICO: An Open Source CORBA Implementation", "Advanced CORBA Programming with C++" and "CORBA: Distributed Objects Using Orbix").
This is by far the best book that I have read for beginner or intermediate level. What I particularly like about the book is that it discusses C++ and Java programming side by side. This is very important because it helps you to understand which issues are general to CORBA and which are specific to one programming language. As far I as I know, this is the ONLY book that takes this dual-language approach to discussing CORBA. All the other books I have seen are either C++ specific or Java specific.
There are so many different parts to CORBA (like lots of CORBA Services) that it is impossible for one book to discuss them all in detail (unless the book would be 2000+ pages long). So it is not possible for this book to cover EVERYTHING in detail, but the book focusses on PRINCIPLES. For example, the Portable Interceptors and CORBA Component Model chapters explain the high-level concepts very well, and leave me feeling comfortable that I will now be able to understand the low-level details if I read the official specifications.
I would recommend the "Advanced CORBA Programming with C++" book (by Henning and Vinoski) as a follow-up book. But as far as introductory/intermediate CORBA books are concerned, "Pure CORBA" is the best available.
By the way, the book's title is "Pure CORBA" rather than "Pure CORBA 3" (which is how Amazon lists it).
on 24 November 2010
I bought this book to accompany the material taught on one of my University modules (Distributed & Client Server Systems) and I was very happy indeed - and so were my class mates! The material in the book is clear and comprehensive at the same time (a pairing you don't usually find in these types of books).

The examples in the book are well written and easy to follow - and are provided in both C++ and Java - with good in-depth explanations not only on what the examples do (which is often clear) but the motivations for the methods used.

I was classed as one of the more "able" people on the course and found the book to be in-depth enough to keep me referring back to it, and also clear and simple enough for the "lesser able" students to follow and appreciate it. I also showed this book to my tutor (an expert in the topic of D&CSS) and he too was impressed.

I would recommend this to any student of the art of distributed systems using CORBA - it's also small enough to fit into your uni bags!