I decided to buy this product because I was unhappy with the amount of toxins (artificial colours, preservatives, sweeteners etc) that I was putting into my body from Normal protein powders. I wanted a protein powder that was as healthy as possible that did not cost the earth or contained any meat or dairy products (Vegan protein). I wanted it to be organic (Antibiotic, Insecticides, Pesticides & Herbicides etc free).

I was alarmed to hear that 90% of soya worldwide was from USA and that 90% of that is Genetically modified (GMO). Soya is one of the best proteins to take because it's 90% protein and it has an amino acid profile score of 100 (contains all the right amount of amino acids in the right proportion). Vegan-wise, only Hemp can match this, however the downside with hemp is that it contains only 45% protein with around 12.6% fat (albeit healthy fat), 21% fibre and about 15% carbs (albeit slow release carbs ).

This product is 100% natural and ticks all the desired boxes on paper.

The price was reasonable at £13.50 for 1kg given that Hemp protein & Brown rice protein were £18.50 - £20.00 per 1 Kg (Pea protein was £13.50 which I also bought at the same time). (Refer to Pea protein comment at the end of this review).

When I prepared the product for the first time, I used a pint glass and a large spoon and added 40g of it to cold water (about 36g protein in 40g product with fat & carbs content being extremely low). It did not mix very well and I ended up with an unmanageable paste which I did not want to eat. The taste was exactly what I expected; Soya! (Yukkk!!). Not very tasty on its own I'm afraid.

My second attempt at making a protein shake from it was much better. Instead of using a pint glass, I put it in a protein shaker (you can buy these for £2-3), added 2 table spoons of raw organic cocoa powder (into the water first) and shook it hard a few times. I ended up with a thick chocolate mouse dessert, much like a normal chocolate mouse. It tasted surprisingly nice!.

So in summary: This product ticks all the boxes on paper: it's cheap, Vegan, Organic, Natural, GMO free, high in protein, low in fat and carbs. If you can eat it plain then great. However most people will have to add something tasty to it and make it in a protein shaker.

I would highly recommend this product. I have already bough 3 bags in the past 12 months.

Note on Pea Protein:

I found that the Pea Protein tasted far nicer than the Soya Protein, however it has the same problem as Brown Rice protein. However If you take Pea protein and Rice protein together the blend then gives you a complete protein. Although the bag of Pea Protein that I bought was tasty, Pulsin have now changed the formulation due to 'supplier issues'. The new formulation (the one that they sell now for £6.99 no longer tastes as good as the old formulation but I would still drink it and I believe that it's a bargain at that price).

If I had to put the Pulsin vegan powders in order of taste then I would have to put them in this order and taste rating:

1/ Brown Rice = 10/10 (Refer to Brown Rice Protein review)
2/ Pea Protein = 9.5/10 (Refer to Pea Protein review - Old Formulation)
3/ Pea Protein = 5/10 (Refer to Pea Protein - New Formulation)
4/ Hemp Protein = 5/10 (Refer to Hemp Protein review)
5/ Soya Protein (Raw) = 4.5/10 (9/10 with cocoa powder) - (Refer to Soya Protein Review)

Verdict: Highly Recommended at £13.75 or less.
1111 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014
I stumbled across this powder about 6 months ago whilst trying to find a 'natural' alternative to all of those artificial chemical laden protein powders you find in most supplement stores. I'll admit I was dubious and I read a few of the reviews on here which convinced me to give it a go.

Taste
The powder itself tastes rancid. You can imagine, it has nothing added so won't be sweet or at all palatable so you'll need to add it to something else, food or I have it morning and night in the form of a shake. I've found mixing it with water, one small banana and a spoonful of peanut butter counters the aftertaste and makes it taste quite nice.

A note for the ladies

After drinking the powder for a few days, I noticed my skin (which has been oily and spot prone especially on the chin area) started clearing up. After a week my skin was the clearest it has been in years and my periods are a lot lot lighter. After doing a bit of research into soy, it's because soy mimics oestrogen in the body so essentially drinking this affects your hormone levels. As the title says, I couldn't live without this stuff, its a godsend. Very reasonably priced as well.
Very low carb (3.5g per 100 grams) and contains no sweeteners. Mixes very well into liquid as a drink or straight into dry ingredients as a baking component. Pleasant but not overwhelming vanilla taste, doesn't have that powdery, starchy taste a lot of protein powders have, and the pack re-closes well (small but important detail!).

I'll definitely be re-ordering.
on 28 March 2016
I use this protein power mostly in my morning fruit smoothies as my breakfast, I also use it before my gym sessions. The protein mixes well with the smoothies and also with milk, I wouldn't suggest using it in water however as it goes quite gritty.
The taste is actually quite nice and it gives an extra sweet flavour to vegetable smoothies and when mixed with milk. It is very filling and as part of a healthy diet it seems to be giving me the extra boost I need.
on 16 October 2013
very good source of protein, does not give you a gassy stomach like some of the other powders out there
on 17 April 2016
I love this product. It has no taste but I don't mind. I mix it with Alpro plain soya yoghurt and few raisins. Yum yum 😉 it's really thick. I used to mix it with milk but it's much better when you mix it with yoghurt as suggested by producer.
on 9 May 2016
Great Vegan protein. Mixes well and seems to do the job as well a whey for me. I have mixed with fruit juice, milk and added to food. it is pretty neutral tasting and fine on its own.
on 12 May 2016
I mix it into breakfast smoothies all the time and it's taste is undetectable, but you can feel the texture of it slightly, but one honest, I don't care
on 18 June 2015
This is wonderful - pure soya protein (90%) with no additives at all. I use it in baking, in smoothies, and it's a mainstay of my restricted vegetarian diet. Please never stop making or selling this wonderful stuff. Great neutral taste which goes with everything.
on 9 January 2015
Unfortunately, due to the medication I am taking my body loses a lot of lean protein. So, I researched frantically for a high protein powder, which was not animal base to help me build up muscle in conjunction with some weight training.

At first I thought about the hemp powder, but changed my mind when I found it contained small amounts of protein. I chose this soya powder as it contains 9g of protein per 10g, which is very impressive; and I need all the amount of natural protein I can get.

I just make a plain protein shake with unsweetened almond milk, little honey and 20-25g of soya powder. It has a mild sort of oaty flavour (reminds me of unflavoured slim fast).

I am really happy with my purchase, and tend to buy more.