on 9 September 2012
Average book - but it's the only one available now Lonely Planet don't do a Puglia book.
It doesn't even mention Matera (a Unesco world heritage site) which is just a few miles outside Puglia.
Towns are organised into the Italian sub regions, which is exceedingly dumb for tourists - the central 'trulli' area is thus split over three sections.
Restaurants are covered at the back of the book and many towns have none listed.
Lots of good photos is a plus point.
The writer is clearly more used to doing travel brochures with over glossy text - still it's better than nothing.
on 8 June 2011
We will be going to Puglia later this year and have found this guide very useful in planning our visit. We have already drawn up a shortlist of places we want to visit while there with plenty more to chose from. I would recommend this book for anyone intending to visit Puglia.
on 9 January 2012
Detailed and specific book.Informs me of all I want to know. What I did not know about Puglia I most certainly do now
on 17 December 2012
Has a lot of good information and does cover all the major towns and cities. Some better restaurant reviews wouldbe useful.
on 27 February 2014
For the size and money, it's good value and does the job. Personally I would have liked more information on beaches, snorkelling, national parks (ie nature) - this was quite limited. Good maps, reasonable historical and cultural background (again I would have liked more eg on culture, food etc).
on 27 May 2013
This is a really poor guide book - little information on places, no details on how to get to them and absolutely no idea of how far apart places are. I did however decide to keep the book as its the only one in paper that I could find and a couple of the walks look interesting.
on 23 August 2013
We got this guide book for our 2 weeks trip to Puglia... It is a great guide and has some good suggested walks in a few of the cities. These are very good and easy to use. I would definitely recommend this guide to anyone considering to visit Puglia.
on 22 October 2012
Having the Blue Guide to Southern Italy, I felt I needed something more detailed for Apulia, and so bought (unfortunately without seeing it first) the Thomas Cook guide. Disappointed hardly describes how I felt on seeing it: this is an area with some of the most outstanding Norman churches in Europe, yet hardly any of them got a mention, and those that did were dealt with very scantily. It seemed more like a guide for club 18-30 than for anyone with a serious interest in the culture, history and archaeology of the area. Even though it covers the whole of Southern Italy, the Blue Guide is far better.
on 30 June 2013
some info on most places we visited but not Matera which was a highlight of our tour
no info on how to get around yourself by local transport
only picked it as looked best of was available
on 9 November 2012
Its a great book. Very easy to read, informative and precise. Have also purchased the Dordogne copy. The company we purchased it from were good also. Good price aginst market indicative pricing.