For all the slasher pictures that have ripped off Psycho
(and particularly its classic set piece, the "shower scene"), nothing has ever matched the impact of the real thing. More than just a first-rate shocker full of thrills and suspense, Psycho
is also an engrossing character study in which director Alfred Hitchcock skillfully seduces you into identifying with the main characters--then pulls the rug (or the bathmat) out from under you. Anthony Perkins
is unforgettable as Norman Bates, the mama's boy proprietor of the Bates Motel; and so is Janet Leigh
as Marion Crane, who makes an impulsive decision and becomes a fugitive from the law, hiding out at Norman's roadside inn for one fateful night. Psycho
gets the masterpiece treatment it deserves on DVD. --Jim Emerson
Hailed as one of the most influential suspense movies of its time, Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho
had a profound effect on how future filmmakers made movies and shaped audience expectations for generations to come. To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of one of Universal Studios’ most treasured and prestigious films, Psycho
will debut for the first time ever on Blu-ray Hi-Def. Meticulously restored for perfect digital picture and the purest DTS HD 5.1 digital sound, the Psycho
50th Anniversary Edition takes audiences on a thrilling journey as an unsuspecting victim (Janet Leigh, The Manchurian Candidate, Bye Bye Birdie
) visits the Bates Motel and falls prey to one of the silver screen’s most notorious psychopaths – Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins, Murder on the Orient Express, Les Miserables
). Featuring one of the most iconic scenes in film history – the infamous “shower scene” – Psycho
continues to terrify audiences today as much as it did half a century ago.Special Features:
50th Anniversary Special Edition Steelbook Blu-ray – including 20-page ‘Making of Psycho
- Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
- The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
- The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film.
- In the Master’s Shadow – Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
- Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
- Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of “Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho”)
- Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
- The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
- Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
- The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
- Posters And Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
- Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
- Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.