Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 June 2010
What do you get when five great authors come together to create a paranormal prom anthology? In a word - greatness!

Meg Cabot starts off the collection with THE EXTERMINATOR'S DAUGHTER. When Mary shows up at Swig, an exclusive VIP club in Manhattan, it's not to socialize. No, she's on a mission to take out Sebastian Drake -- and by take out, I mean kill him with a crossbow. But when Adam, a fellow student at Saint Eligius, takes his own potshots at the dreaded Sebastian, things get a lot more interesting.

Lauren Myracle, the author of THE CORSAGE, has written what is probably the saddest, and creepiest, story of the bunch. All Frankie wants is for her best guy friend, Will, to realize that it's his destiny to ask her to the prom. To accomplish that goal, she drags Will and her other best friend, Yun Sun, to visit Madame Zanzibar, a fortune-teller. She's sure that Madame Z will proclaim that Will is her one true love, and that will be that. But the psychic is short on information, but does end up grudgingly handing over to Frankie a dried up old corsage, which she says will grant her three wishes. Over the next couple of days, however, Frankie will come to realize that she'll have to make some requests that she never in her wildest dreams would have thought of making.

MADISON AVERY AND THE DIM REAPER by Kim Harrison is the longest story in the group, and the most involved. When Madison ends up at the costume prom with a dud date, she's surprised to find one guy who can pick up the slack. Seth isn't like anyone she's ever met before. Unfortunately, before too long she'll find out why that is, and the picture it paints isn't pretty. There are deaths, white reapers, black reapers, grim reapers, and odd amulets. I really liked this story, and would be happy to see more of these characters in the future.

Michele Jaffe's story, KISS AND TELL, was by far my favorite. Miranda has a secret. Not only is she a student and a part-time driver/chaeffeur, but she also fights crime in her spare time. It turns out Miranda has special abilities that allow her to do things most regular teens can't do -- like, say, knock over a lamppost just by leaning on it. This particular day turns out to be stranger than the norm, though, when she picks up young Sibby Cumean, a strange girl who has an even stranger habit of kissing every boy she can find. When weird things start happening, Miranda's day turns into an action-adventure movie beyond anything she could have expected. I LOVED this story, and I HAVE to read more about Miranda and Sibby in the future! Yes, Ms. Jaffe, that's me begging!!

Last but not least is HELL ON EARTH by Stephenie Meyer. This is the story of Sheba, a demon on earth who loves bringing misery to others. Her plan is working pretty well, too, because nearly everyone at the prom is having a downright horrible time. Everyone, that is, except for Gabe, who seems not just happy but serene. By the time Sheba can figure out what's happening, it's too late, and prom just might end up having a happy ending after all.

on 13 September 2009
Well, first of all, I must admit that I got curious with these selection of stories and, really, if you're into weird and supernatural events or situations, you're going to enjoy the book very much. I read it this summer, and my evenings were definitely busy reading those amazing stories.
I have to admit that I bought it because I was looking forward to read Stephenie Meyer's point of view into a "different" prom night and, I gotta say,I wasn't disappointed - her story was very very good (and no vampires included). Meg Cabot's story was also very good, specially for those who like vampires, however my favorite infernal prom episode goes to Lauren Myracle - The corsage. My God, it is REALLY disturbing, honestly... or, it means that it is a very good story.
It's not an essential book, but it's fun and all the stories catch your interest, which, in my opinion, is the key point when it comes to buy a book.
I recommend it. It's cool.
on 1 February 2013
Being both English and born at a time well before the prom had become popular here perhaps much of the so-called 'great, sexy, scary fun' of Prom Nights from Hell passed me by. Then again, perhaps they were just unremarkable stories.

Written by five authors (Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Stephanie Meyer, Lauren Myracle) for the 13+ market it is only Kim Harrison's and Stephenie Meyer's work that I am familiar with.

Hardly a glowing example if this is typical of these authors works. With the exception of Stephenie Meyer's Hell On Earth, which, a clever idea though hardly unique, was mildly amusing if nothing else, the other renditions ranged from the totally unoriginal and far less creepy than it thought it was (Lauren Myracle's The Corsage) to the somewhat puzzling (Michele Jaffe's Kiss And Tell) to the utterly disappointing (Kim Harrison's Madison Avery And The Dim Reaper).

Not a great collection by any means, I think all but the youngest of paranormal fans risk being truly disappointed by these unexceptional offerings.

Prom Nights From Hell: Five Paranormal Stories
on 13 August 2011
Prom Nights From Hell contains short stories by Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Stephenie Meyer, and Lauren Myracle.
As the title of the anthology suggests all the stories are about
Prom Night's. This book takes a bad Prom Night to another kind of level with the paranormal thrown in. It has Wardrobe malfunctions, Finding out your date is none other than the Grim Reaper! Also in the book are stories that have angels fighting demons, and a creepy tale of getting exactly what you wish for.
I buy anthologies to try out new authors. I find it a cheaper way of trying so many authors in one book. I rarely say much negative about a book, but I am sorry to admit I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. Maybe it was the theme that was too girly for me? I did complete it but the reaction to it was Oh Well, Have read it now, not the wow I thought it would be with such famous authors in it.
on 26 October 2009
I really enjoyed these 5 quirky short stories! I think there was one or two which i wished went on further, and would of been happy to read it as a full on novel. But apart from those i really did enjoy this book. I only bought this because of Stephenie Meyer writing one of the stories, but the other 4 writers are amazingly talented. its a lovely short read!

A must read for any Stephenie Meyer fan!
on 22 October 2012
I really enjoyed this collection of captivating short stories from five different YA authors themed with the supernatural and paranormal-ly twisted romance of Prom night! :)

The whole of the book kept me on edge as each story revealed these interesting, attractive characters being taken on a whole adventure of magic and passion. The atmosphere in each story was so intense and fast-paced, I was so disappointed when they ended, after all, they were only short stories, but with a really strong message.

The Exterminator's Daughter (by Meg Cabot) was very funny, and definitely hooked me in! Reading it from Adam's point of view was absolutely hilarious, especially the whole start with Ted, Lila, Mary, and Sebastian Drake, and the KETCHUP!

Wow, I loved that The Corsage (Lauren Myracle) was inspired by The Monkey's Paw by WW Jacobs - I read this last year when we studied it during English and the overall effect was totally disturbing. Honestly, it really creeped me out and as Lauren also says at the beginning of it: "Be careful what you wish for, indeed!"

I think this was my favourite story had to be the one by Kim Harrison: Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper. It was amazing! The whole it was a mistake, you weren't meant to die" thingy was very gripping and I really want to read more! Fortunately for me, this is actually now a full book by Kim, and has a sequel!I will have to go and find that! :) I also loved Kiss & Tell (Michele Jaffe) and I think Hell on earth (Stephenie Meyer!!!) was also one of my favourites! It was seriously..breathtaking!

This book is really appealing to the older teenage audience and will be highly enjoyed by the fans of vampires, ghosts, and other scary creatures, as well as the gothic romance :)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL is a great paranormal anthology that teens and adults alike will enjoy. I highly recommend picking up a copy today!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2009
This book is extremely clever and a great read. I got it simply becasue one of the five stories inside is by Stephenie Meyer, but i read all of them and came to realise that they are very original and fun!
on 28 April 2009
This is a collaboration of five stories from five very different authors centered around one theme: bringing the supernatural and paranormal twist of romance into the Prom night.

Stephanie Meyer is on top form incorporating the ideas of Angel vs. Devil into her story about a Prom going horribly wrong and Meg Cabot's tale of a vampire threat at a Prom where an Executioner seeks revenge is equally engrossing. The lesser known (to me, at least) novelists weave the concept very convincingly into their own stories and the whole book is a worthy collection that fits the title perfectly!

This book was easy to get into and very enjoyable and I already know that its one I will read again and again! Try it and see for yourself!! ^_^
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2009
this book is full of exciting stroies and the kind that get you inspired to write your own.The stroies are full of romance and lust and love while some are filled with hate and death which all put together a FANTASTIC BOOK....WOW...READ IN JUST 1 DAY COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!!