on 25 June 2015
“The end is near. I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it. It shall not find me. God, that hand! The window! The window!” ― H.P. Lovecraft, Dagon

Dr. Ichiro Serizawa: The arrogance of men is thinking nature is in our control and not the other way around. Let them fight.
Godzilla, 2014

Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This thing is much too big to be some lost dinosaur.
Godzilla, 1998

“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.” Lovecraft would have loved this. Nemesis is Godzilla, Cthulhu, and “Attack of the 50-Foot Woman” all rolled into one - Destroyer God and sad victim not only of fate but of a rich, obsessive, vicious man. “Nemesis” is a monster, true. A monster created by science, at the behest of a human even more monstrous than Nemesis herself.

Of course, back when King Kong and Godzilla came to life, “The Bomb” was our greatest fear. Immense power, horrific death from the skies – the perfect structure for tales of horror. Now, Nemesis waltzes onto the stage, filled with fear, pain, and a deep need for answers. Even monsters need answers, and Nemesis more than most. For all she is a monster, possibly a God, she is lost, searching. But her search can kill millions. Of course, the military is shooting off all its toys, twelve AMRAAM and four Tomahawks have only succeeded in killing civilians so far – and Boston is her next stop. Which is worse? A terrified military blasting away, or a giant beast storming across the land? “Hulk SMASH!”
I got a huge kick out of this story. Narrated by Jeffrey Kafer, the story is a high octane tribute to all the 50’s monster movies we know and love. But it is also a denunciation of military incompetence, political ineptitude (yes, those are basically the same words – but military command and the political machine are basically the same thing, so . . .) and the horrific things humans will do given enough money and political and military power.

Jeremy Robinson has written a story for everyone from preteens to adults, delving into the human psyche, exploring our fears and bringing the past into the present. Nemesis is, when it comes down to it, an avenging angel, a Goddess of Vengeance, and I liked her – a lot. Jon Hudson, the hero of the piece, is the lead investigator for a special DHS department – Paranormal Investigations. Following up reports of Sasquatch is embarrassing – but trying to keep the rest of DHS under control, especially the smart-arse Boston lead investigator, is enough to make Jon bang his head against a wall. There is a lot of blood and gore, a lot of military action and military and political stupidity – and his ‘sidekick’ Sheriff Collins, is one kick arse broad, so I was happy with that! There is fun and snarky humour as well, which is always a huge positive for me.

Grab it – it’s fun!
on 20 August 2014
I bought this book as a bit of a gamble really, trying to broaden my horizons a little with what I read. Anyway, sat down and thought "yeah this is pretty good" so, come home from work the next night and think "I'll carry on with that book".... anyway about 4 hours later I've finished it and looking for the next in the series.

If you're like me, handsome, a little bit silly and loves a good old monster smashing up Americans, then give this a read. It gets so engrossing and you never quite know where things are going with it!
on 9 February 2014
I put off reading this book because I didn't think 'Kaiju' would be something I would be interested in - movies yes, books not so much. However, I couldn't put it down. I should know better than to doubt a book written by Jeremy Robinson, he has a wonderful ability to incorporate great monsters and great characters that you want to read about more. Nemesis is the queen of the monsters and I hope we see more from her and Jon Hudson.

If you like Godzilla then you should definitely pick this book up.
on 3 July 2013
I loved this book. It is told quite believably and with real warmth. The characters are believable and I really rooted for them.
The author is a real fan of monster films and this is an affectionate tribute to them. The book is enormous fun and I could not put it down. I was pleased because I tried to read one of his Antarctic hunter books and hated it.
It you like fast paced page turning fun then this is for you!
on 29 October 2014
So, We have Jeremy Robinson, the American Matthew riley giving us a Kaiju thriller of all things? Theres such thing as a Kaiju thriller? Seems so. And what a weird story it is...
We have a couple of guys running around the woods getting shot at, and a strange series of events eventually leads to a massive monster rampaging around Boston, and eating Just about everything She can find. In order to make up for his slight weakness in visually descriptive prose, He has has an artist create some rather spiffy sketches of his monster, and all in all, the story works. It's exactly what I expect from a Jeremy Robinson Book, a fast pace (but not stupid hollywood action movie fast), a rather intelligent plot and quite a cinematic writing style... And I got everything that I asked for. However, I will criticise it on several points. His weakness in visual description means that the climax feels short and rushed, and his science seems to be less good than some of his other books. The book also doesn't really have a conclusion, which does weaken the plot to an extent as well... But it's still a worthwhile read
on 24 September 2013
What a fantastic slice of escapism. I have read several jeremy Robinson books, each one as far fetched as the next. But far fetched is not a bad thing, in fact it's what keeps the page's turning and I can't wait for the next installment of godzil.....Uh, I mean nemesis!!!
on 29 September 2015
Many of the books I've read recently have been good, but around 70 percent in I'm feeling like i'm ready for the next book. Not with this one! Nemesis had me hooked till the end and I'm now going to check out part two. A must read even if you're new to the genre.
on 22 November 2013
I was a little concerned when I saw how many five star reviews are on this product. I thought they must be fake. How can an indie book be THAT good. But it really was good. There wasn't any fluff or waffling in the book which I find that some other authors use to pad up the number of pages in a book. There was constant action from the first chapter. You didn't know what was going to happen next. Only flaw I saw was about the love story, it seemed too obvious. But it didn't protract from the meat of the book. The monster was an interesting concept and it isn't very often that an author manages to convey the horror of the aftermath without it sounding like an attempt at a Saw movie. Definitely worth the read, and I'll have to get the next installment soon!
on 13 August 2013
Put disbelief aside and just enjoy a page turning non stop adventure, couldn't put this book down.Read most of Jeremy Robinson's novels and always delivers if the like a genre like Matthew Reilly you will love this.
on 29 December 2013
Having loved godzilla and pacific rim but never read a book from this genre thought would give a try. Wow not dissapointed, great main character, really good read,would make an epic film.