Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 4 December 2012
A rare beastie, a book for children that I enjoyed as an adult(?). The Professor's curiosity is infectious, as is his desire to use science to help with the everyday problems. I found his approach of going to the library, and finding as many books on a subject as possible, endearing. Particularly, his willingness to lend as much credence to the ideas of Jules Verne as to technical literature. Of course, it wasn't written for middle aged men, but for children. So read this to a friends son, Theo; a precocious eight year old boy with loads of energy and a short attention span. He was gripped. He listened attentively and, a warning here, asked questions. Some about vocabulary, but mostly about the ideas behind the inventions, He laughed at some of the humour which I thought would go over his head and found jokes that I had missed. When I asked him what he liked, some of the answers surprised me. "I liked the way the inventions finished in the shed, where he could use the bits again." "How did the robot maid learn to be like real people?" and most perceptively "Why are clever people so stupid sometimes?" in reaction to the moon mission. This book provoked questions about people and science. But the most significant question I heard was at the end, "Is there another book?"
on 9 December 2012
I bought this for my son as a way to encourage more reading. I told him he only needed to read a chapter a day, but on his first day he read four chapters in one go! After that he couldn't put the book down.
He particularly liked the characters - especially the bumblebee and the vicar - also how the professor never gave up and how things always seemed to work out, just not as expected always.
All-in-all, a very enjoyable read for my son. The story line makes young ones think, encourages them to believe in themselves and their ideas more, and is good fun too!
We would like more of this, please.
on 6 January 2013
I bought this book expecting some concrete clues on how to construct my own mechanical maid or travel to the Moon. Sadly the Professor has kept all the details to himself, leaving only tantalising hints. The only thing I was able to recreate was the Professor's tea, which - with three sugarlumps - was frankly too sweet!

Still, I suppose I can overlook these issues, since Professor Kompressor is very entertaining. Each chapter describes a separate invention, the Professor's pratfalls and successes. The book slyly introduces a few concepts in physics in an entirely unstuffy way and the way problems are solved is quite sensible (even if the inventions themselves are not). I would think this fulfils the author's aim to stimulate 7-11 year-old minds, even if my own is somewhat outside that bracket.

I can't help suspecting Professor Kompressor has been fiddling with all sorts of other inventions since this book was written - so will we get to hear about them in a follow-up book?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2012
"Professor Kompressor" is a funny book for both young and old readers, because it treats young readers with respect and it entertains older readers with funny sarcasms and pointy ideas! I enjoy the professor being a delightfully confused person with these very clear ideas about all his inventions. And most of them works - but not in the way that he thought. I also like his repetitions of everything - his tea, his wake ups, his relations to other people ....

This is wonderful story for the older reader that can recognize himself or herself in trying and not always coping, but also knowing never to give up. At the same time it can encourage the younger readers to start thinking more and beliving that they can!

I really enjoyed reading Professor Kompressor and I really would like to read more about this somewhat confused but nice person.
on 10 February 2014
This first Kompressor book was a fun read at bedtime, both because of the stories themselves, and the opportunities to pause and step outside the story to rant or marvel at the Professors inspiringly over-engineered solutions to the problems of life.

The inventions in this book seemed more fantastical than in the 3rd book (or at least less overtly referenced to real science), but that's great - why limit young minds with reality?
on 7 November 2012
I managed to get this when it was on offer for £0.00. Definitely worth the £1.50 though, it has kept me and the 'kids' in my office entertained for a while. You can read it online using the kindle cloud reader if you don't actually own a kindle, which is what I did, or smart phones also have a kindle app.
on 30 March 2013
A great little book which we really enjoyed sharing with our 7 year old. Professor Kompressor has entertained us with his curious inventions which ultimately go wrong. Humor for both adults and children. More pictures would be nice, although our son enjoyed drawing some of his own.
on 7 September 2015
Fantastic book. My children aged ten and nine loved it. A genius who makes mistakes and is human, he is a truly inspirational character. I would recommend this book to those who love science and those who think they don't, you soon will.
on 16 November 2012
I finished reading this the other day, and really enjoyed it! My little nephew has also started reading it, and he loves the pig-dog in it. Though I did wish more of his inventions would work. Can't wait for the sequel!
on 12 February 2013
We love the Professor and his crazy ideas. Any secret or eccentric inventors in your household will enjoy this cleverly written book. We want more!