What is this book about?
If you want to use Visio to create enterprise software, this is the book for you.
The integration of Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect and Visio for Enterprise Architects provides a formidable tool. Visio offers powerful diagramming capabilities, including such things as creating UML models, mapping out databases with Entity Relationship diagrams, and aiding the development of distributed systems. Its integration with Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect means that C# or Visual Basic .NET code can be generated from the UML diagrams, and Visual Studio .NET projects can be reverse engineered to UML models.
For the developer already familiar with UML and looking to get the best out of Visio, the Visual Studio .NET and Visio for Enterprise Architects combination is weakly documented, and the quality information needed to realize the time-saving features of Visio just does not seem to be available, until now.
This book presumes that you are already familiar with the basic concepts of UML notation — this book will not teach you UML. Instead, this book will take you forward into the Visio environment, showing you how to make the most of its software related features.
What does this book cover?
In this book, you'll learn how to
- Diagram business components in Visio
- Generate code from a UML model
- Reverse engineer Visual Studio .NET projects into a UML model
- Reverse engineer into a UML model without source code
- Document the project with UML and Visio
- Design distributed applications with Visio's diagrams
- Work with Entity Relationship database modeling, and round-trip engineering for database design
From the Back Cover
If you want to use Visio for Enterprise Architects to quickly design and create enterprise software, this is the book for you.
The integration of Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect and Visio for Enterprise Architects is a formidable combination. Visio offers powerful diagramming capabilities, including such things as creating UML models, mapping out and generating databases, and aiding the development of distributed systems. Visios integration with Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect means that C# or Visual Basic® .NET code can be generated from UML diagrams, thus giving your projects a significant kick–start, and Visual Studio .NET projects can also be reverse engineered to UML models.
This book will finally help you make the most of Visios time– and labor–saving features, and unleash Visios power for your enterprise development.
To use this book you must be comfortable with the basic concepts of UML.
What you will learn from this book
- Diagramming business components in Visio
- Generating code from UML models
- Reverse engineering Visual Studio .NET projects into UML models, with or without source code
- Documenting projects with UML and Visio
- Designing distributed applications with Visio diagrams
- Using Object–Role Modeling and round–trip engineering for database design
"This book will definitely help any developer wishing to get a jump–start on using Visio for Enterprise Architects in their traditional development process. The book meshes traditional UML knowledge with .NET development model specifics, resulting in a deep understanding of how Visio for Enterprise Architects can speed up software design and development time."
Andrew Krowczyk, Senior Software Developer, Zurich North America