on 22 April 2010
DotNetNuke is a very powerful CMS tool. This flexibility comes at a price and in this case it is a very steep learning curve for anyone who wants to develop with it. Fortunately this book eases you gently through the process using plenty of examples and it is also a valuable reference going forward. Our company is now developing complex DotNetNuke modules on the basis of having read this book. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because some of the items could benefit from further explanation. That said, I suspect this is still probably the best book out there on this topic.

For anyone totally new to DotNetNuke, I would recommend reading the Wrox Professional DotNetNuke 5 (Open Source Web Application Framework For ASP.NET) book first; which is what I did. This covers the architecture and use of DotNetNuke in much more detail than the above book which is aimed totally at module development. (I'm not on commission for Wrox in case you're wondering, it's just they seem to be the main company publishing books for DotNetNuke)!
on 16 April 2009
I am completely new to DotNetNuke (DNN) but decided to take the plunge and learn more about this product despite my initial reservations about using open source software in production environments. This book has been invaluable in helping me learn the intricacies of module development, but you will definitely need some experience using DNN from a host and administrator's point of view before even contemplating building your own modules.

I originally targeted DNN 4.9.3 but it became apparent that all of the code samples and techniques described in the book were geared towards DNN 5, so I moved to V5.0.1 instead and was able to get the sample Guestbook module up and running in no time, but be warned, the section entitled DotNetNuke-Generated Packages in Chapter 9 does not work, not because the book is wrong but because there is a bug in DNN's package generation code in V5.0.1, which will hopefully be fixed in the next release.

I actually contacted the author regarding this problem, not expecting to hear back any time soon, but a reply was received later the same day and Mitchel has been extremely helpful ever since, resulting in this bug being logged in the DNN bug tracker, so hopefully by the time you read this the issue has been resolved.

The book does *not* cover skinning, so if this is an area you are interested in I would definitely recommend that you buy the book Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design (Programmer to Programmer), also from Wrox if this is an area you want to explore in any more detail.
on 4 October 2012
Very good book to start with this Dot Net Nuke module Programming.Very easy for the beginners. Step by step guide.