Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 May 2011 19:09:33 BDT
Just received my copy this morning. However tracks 23 and especially track 24 will not rip correctly. Looking at the disc it seems like there's a dimple or bubble noticeable in the silver layer about where these tracks would be. I don't think I've ever noticed a defect like this before in a CD - it's very slight but there is a definite bump in the silver!

Is this a one-off duff copy or is everyone's copy the same?

Thanks

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011 21:39:00 BDT
Yes, I noticed something similar, but had no problem loading into iTunes. But, to achieve this low price, quality control at the pressing plant seems to have been thrown out the window. My Disc One & Two were both scratched, and in the case of Disc Two, badly enough to make the last four songs unplayable. I used CD polish to take off a monster-sized scratch and make Disc Two entirely playable, but of course, CD polish creates many new(but benign) scratches. After making temporary copies(so I can listen to the music), I sent the two damaged discs to a CD resurfacing company, simply because that cost less than sending the whole set from the U.S.A. back to the UK. Sending the whole set back might have resulted in my getting a good disc 1 & 2, but then(in the replacement set) other discs might have been bad. Actually, I was only buying the set for the 7 unreleased concert tracks, the 3 unreleased French language tracks, the stereo mix of "All The World is Love" and the new stereo remixes of the two Italian tracks. I had all the other songs, takes, mixes and masterings in my collection already. Eventually, I'm going to spend an afternoon at my computer reassembling the set with my prefered choice of mixes. All but 11 of the selections have been released on other EMI CD's in stereo(if you know where to look! Here's some trivia: the stereo mixes of "Little Bitty Pretty One" & "Poison Ivy" can be found on an Australian EMI CD 432005-2)

Posted on 17 May 2011 12:42:53 BDT
iTunes is a very poor ripper when it comes to faulty discs, in that it will rip a track, complete with errors, and report it as ripped.
You only find out that it's a bad rip when you play it back.

I am using dbPoweramp which reports if any frame does not rip correctly. It reported several hundred faulty frames around Track 24 on my original disc 1.

I have just received a replacement copy of the set from Amazon, and the good news is that both tracks 24 and 25 now rip properly.

Thanks Amazon for the speedy replacement! Oh and Philip - neither of my 2 copies were scratched in any way - perhaps you were just unlucky or perhaps they got scratched in transit?

Mark P

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2011 20:03:40 BDT
Byrdman50 says:
I've not spotted a bubble on my copy. I shall play/ rip these tracks to check. I CAN confirm the same fault reported re. disc 4, track 13 though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  11 May 2011
Latest post:  6 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Clarke, Hicks & Nash Years: The Complete Hollies, April 1963-October 1968
The Clarke, Hicks & Nash Years: The Complete Hollies, April 1963-October 1968 by Hollies (Audio CD - 2011)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (30)