Shop now Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn more Learn More Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

Problem with 2D version of HUGO

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Jun 2012 00:29:49 BDT
sjconstable says:
Typical shoddy EiV release, I avoid them whenever possible.

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 21:47:04 BDT
Indie says:
I had same issue with my Panasonic blu-ray player - DMR-BS850 - it played o.k first time but when tried to watch it again wouldn't load. Had to repeatly press the play button until the player decided it could play the film. Film is visual stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 21:31:33 BDT
Same problem for me on Samsung HD860. Never had trouble with other Blu-rays. Will have to send it back for DVD - pity because what we saw was great.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2012 13:15:00 BDT
S. J. Bones says:
Hi, I played this on my Denon 1611UD player the weekend, I got to 55 mins with no trouble and then the sound started to break up, pic was ok though, did the pause and restart thing as you with same results. Bloody annoying! They should'nt be able to sell something that does'nt work properly, obvioulsy a lot of people are having the same problems.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 22:20:03 BDT
Andy Hoath says:
Same problem with a pioneer player- tried 2 discs. gets to 40 mins then the sound starts breaking up :(

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 22:35:47 BDT
J. Cuperus says:
Hi had the same with my denon about 55 minutes.. Did firmware update And it seems to play with no sound problem now.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2012 13:32:59 BDT
P. Sanderson says:
Exactly the same happened with my BluRay Hugo earlier in the year - the film booted up and played perfectly for about an hour, then the audio suddenly deteriorated very badly. A replacement copy was exactly the same, at the same point in the disc. The BluRay player firmware was up-to-date. I emailed the disc producers but they didn't bother replying. We gave up, but this thread provides some useful opinions and possible work-arounds... although I can't test them since in the meantime our Hugo has gone missing!

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 18:09:20 GMT
J. Galloway says:
Just received the Hugo 2d/3d disk and it wont play on my sony HD laptop with latest drive and software..........looks like the disk is corrupt/manufacturing problem as it isnt compatable with many players.....I will be sending my disk back and asking for for full refund.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 08:10:44 GMT
P. Sanderson says:
See also my thread " Scorsese 'Hugo' sound problem " on this matter, -Paul Sanderson

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 00:01:55 GMT
Mr. T. Davis says:
Interesting thread. I watched this on my PHILLIPS 2700 Blu Ray Player (in 2D)only to have a few moments of stutter towards the end of the film. Admittedly I hadn't upgraded the firmware in over a year, and so I did an update...and then it worked fine with no stutter. My advice would be to make sure you have latest firmware whatever your device.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 09:09:52 GMT
P. Sanderson says:
At the time (a while ago now, and I still don't know how the film ends!) that was the first advice I was given. My Blu-ray player isn't connected to the Internet, so upgrading wouldn't be easy, but the manufacturer's website showed that there hadn't been any upgrades for that model in the previous year. I suppose I need to go back and re-check if anything has happened since, but no other disc we have (Blu-ray or ordinary) has ever failed to work as it should.

Posted on 13 Jan 2013 12:03:36 GMT
T. S. Walker says:
Experienced the disc loading problem on a Panasonic SA-BT100 Blu-Ray Player (12th jan 2013). It did work eventually using the 'press the play button several times' method. No problems with the sound and picture though which were both excellent. This loading issue should get sorted between Amazon and the Supplier as soon as possible, perhaps even withdrawing it from sale until it is. I'm no expert but if you try to cut costs and cram a 2D and 3D film into one disc then this is the sort of problem that you get. Surely it must be a disc problem as so many Blu-Ray player Manufacturers/Models are affected.

Posted on 16 Jan 2013 19:29:41 GMT
Lupi64 says:
It's not just discs from Amazon that have these problems. I have had three different copies rented from blockbuster and one bought for me from hmv. All copies had the same stutter in sound and picture at exactly the same point on each disc.
I did rent a copy of the DVD 2D version but it was so scratched I couldn't watch that either!
Guess we just have to wait until they put it on the TV!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 20:23:33 GMT
P. Sanderson says:
All-in-all it seems like there's nothing to be done. The HD/3D-all-in-one pressing for Europe was flawed, the original producers - G K Films in Santa Monica, California - aren't remotely bothered, and I guess the only way we'll ever see it in 3D or HD in Europe is in a cinema or from a Region 1 production where the different formats are on separate discs.

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 13:21:00 GMT
Ceathan says:
I got Hugo 2d/3d BD to play once on my Oppo 93 muti region, cannot get it to play again!!!

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 14:04:51 GMT
Ceathan says:
Okay thanks to the posts here I have just managed to force it to play through the homepage menu, well after 4 tries I succeeded, it works in 2d and 3d.
Good luck with it.

Posted on 15 Apr 2013 10:50:01 BDT
I managed to get the disk to start playing on my Panasonic BD60EB Blu-ray Player. When the disk is loaded the player scans it and goes to "stop". By pressing play then skip chapter the movie starts (after adverts) and a menu allows selection of 2D or 3D. Haven't got as far as checking out the sound problem.

Posted on 26 May 2013 00:00:04 BDT
Peter Laing says:
Just got a patch to my Pioneer Blu ray which has made disc playable.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  31 Mar 2012
Latest post:  26 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) by Asa Butterfield (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars (769)