Problem with 2D version of HUGO

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2012 10:25:39 BDT
Disc is advertised as 3D AND 2D version, but has just arrived and will not play on my 2D Panasonic DMP-BD65 (with firmware 1.70). I get an error message saying that the disc is not compatible. Anyone else had a problem?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 22:31:51 BDT
Graham says:
I too, have got the same problem. Trying to play the 2d copy on a panasonic blu ray player, but it just won't load. There are no error messages. It just does not load.

Any help?

Posted on 1 Apr 2012 09:45:48 BDT
Problem sorted. This is the first disc we've ever had (DVD or Blu-Ray) that doesn't auto-load. One press of the Play button and it worked fine. It was worth the wait - the quality of the blu-ray transfer is stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 08:53:07 BDT
please, may anyone of you confirm languages and subtitles??
thank you and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 10:15:52 BDT
English soundtrack and English subtitles only, I'm afraid.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 10:59:51 BDT
thankyou michael.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 10:39:05 BDT
Mine only arrived with the 3D disc. Is the 2D and 3D version on the same disc? If so, it will not play on my 2D blu-ray player (with latest firmware), tried pressing PLAY, nothing. Anyone have any answers please, otherwise it's going back. (V. disappointed, I expected a better package all-round for such a high-profile Scorsese film.)

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 10:54:07 BDT
Yes the 3D and 2D version are on the same disc. When the main menu appears you choose which version you want to run.

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 10:53:31 BDT
Witney Devil says:
I can't get the disc to play either. Only purchased for the 2D version and my Pioneer player keeps attempting to read the disc.

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 16:28:34 BDT
Thanks Michael, I can now get it to play on a Sony 2D player, but not on a Panasonic 2D player(?!). Hopefully the next firmware update will fix it. The manufacturers haven't made it very clear though.

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 10:19:22 BDT
Sgt.Colon says:
I updated to the latest firmware on my Panasonic BD-35 last night and it still doesn't play the film. My Sony player and PS3 play it fine. Possible Panny problem?

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 11:23:04 BDT
R. B. Jee says:
I sent mine back and amazon sent a new one back very fast. It still did not play but I read your comments and pressed "play" still did not work. Lost my temper and punched play repeatedly, it bloody worked. But this what you get when the british make it, the american's sell it as a 3 disc set, on 50 disc capacity one disc each for 3d, 2d & dvd and not cram it all on one disc.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 16:47:45 BDT
Simon F. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 21:12:03 BDT
As if this worked!! I told my husband to hammer the play button and it actually worked!!! Thank you so much!

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 10:24:34 BDT
Roy J. Toms says:
I too cannot get this disc to play on my Denon DBP 2012 UD (supposedly universal player!). It starts off ok but after a few minutes the sound starts to break up, then the picture. Pressing pause and restart restores both for a few seconds and then it all goes haywire again. I returned the first disc as faulty but the replacement is exactly the same. Al my other blu-rays play fine on the same system. It looks like this disc should come with a health warning!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 15:57:32 BDT
Exactly the same was happening on my Denon DBP-2012UD but updated the firmware and now everything sorted...plays perfectly.

Good luck

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 22:36:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Apr 2012 22:37:16 BDT
Pip Gundill says:
My Copy plays fine with one problem the sound, after scene 11( The Train Crash) the sound is so distorted , i had to turn the volume right down. Will have to return anyone else with the 2D sound?

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 11:25:09 BDT
paul chapman says:
I sent back Hugo 3D and 2D disk (one disk) still having trouble with the new one.
Starts on 2D ok then halfway through film, sound and picture is faulty. (Phillips player)
I will have to grin and bear it i suppose.

J Chapman

Posted on 4 May 2012 08:15:24 BDT
D. Smith says:
I managed to get mine to eventually play perfectly after inserting a 2G SD card in the player. Don't ask me how it works, I tweeted panasonic and that was their recommendation

Posted on 12 May 2012 00:02:33 BDT
Dazza74 says:
I've tried this film in two different panasonic blu ray players, I can't tell you the model numbers sadly. With both players I found I could eventually get the film to play but it required me to press the play button sometimes upwards of 5 times before the film would play. Once I got the film going it was fine, no issues at all. As I say, we got the film to play but it took multiple attempts.

Posted on 15 May 2012 00:29:13 BDT
I have a panasonic DMR BWT700 (blu-ray PVR) and had the "copyright violation" problem with the normal autoplay function - nothing would work. Then I found if I went into the player's menu there was a Playback contents option for BD (blu-ray disc). After hitting this and selecting Video, the disc started to play, finally giving me the choice of 2D or 3D. Don't understand why it only seems to work this way, but I've yet to install an available firmware update for this model.

Posted on 15 May 2012 09:04:16 BDT
Iael says:
seem to be a problem with this film not loading on some blu ray players especially panasonic!

Posted on 19 May 2012 10:06:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 10:41:41 BDT
ABP says:
We have a Denon 2500BT which would not play the disc last night. After some disc reading activity it just displayed 'STOP'. This morning, we tried again after reading this forum and it started playing the disc apparantly OK. (Note the Denon is based on the Panasonic UniPhier SoC). Will try the film through later.

The Blu-ray played OK later and no idea what the initial problem was.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 07:25:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jun 2012 07:28:02 BDT
I have a Panasonic DMR BWT800 and am in Australia. I had "copyright violation" come up after disc loaded. I have the single copy with 3D and 2D versions. Due to advice from others on Forum I kept pressing play and it finally worked after about 5 tries.
It's good now but " What a pain in the butt !!! " . This should not happen and should be fixed with firmware update.

Note: I also own a PS3 and the disc had no problem in that.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 15:00:55 BDT
I have an LG BD550 I received the Hugo blue ray from amazon UK at chapter 5 the audio stated to deteriorate it just got worse I could not hear the dialogue or music I called Amazon they are sending a new Blue ray DVD I suspect that my player is not compatible with a 3d and 2d disc
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  31 Mar 2012
Latest post:  26 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) by Asa Butterfield (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (457)