Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2012
Pretty good to learn basic OpenGL stuff if you are an Android developer, but incomplete if you wish to build a game or something else more complex.

Images are black and white and low quality, but that's a problem that every graphics book have.

Example code is not the best, sometimes is broken or there are missing parts in the book, you will need to download the sources from the web. Also coding style is not the best (Hungarian notation, ugh..), so don't take this book as a coding reference.
on 1 November 2012
For anyone interested in modelling the solar system this book would be of great value.

For those with more general interests in using OpenGl ES to manipulate even simple 3D models in Android there is a huge bit missing, that being the 3D model itself.

Unless the model is a sphere, cube, or by extrapolation some other regular shape, then this Pro book does not help with it. A note on page 87 states "If you do any real work in OpenGL ES, you'll likely be importing models from third-party applications", and that's all the help I've found within.

There's still a lot of excellent material covering OpenGL ES that applies to all models, and I'm sure I'll revisit much of this once I can get a 3D model in to work on.

It seems a bizarre omission for a book called Pro OpenGL ES, and on that basis three stars may seem generous. Had my interest been limited to regular shapes I'd probably have rated it five stars.