Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Room: Picador Classic forum

Pricing for Kindle books.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Sep 2010 08:31:13 BDT
Whilst I love the device and convenience I'm wondering at the cost of purchasing books - especially new releases. The prices are akin to hardback copies. I can live with this in the initial stages understanding that as time goes on the prices will come down.
However ... here's my question - how can a book vary in price from week to week? Either it costs "X" or it doesn't, surely? As an example "Room" by Emma Donoghue - started off fairly expensive and then couple of weeks ago the price was reduced to £5.20. This morning the same book is £6.50. It's not the pennies that matter to me as a couple of quid makes no mevermind in the general scheme of things. What I have issue with is how this can be.
Answers on a postcard please ...

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 17:29:26 GMT
Gilbinet says:
I agree with your comments entirely. I find myself checking every day in the hope of securing some bargains

Posted on 22 Nov 2010 10:33:47 GMT
I do agree with these comments. You cannot lend or borrow a book as you can with a paper edition therefore the price should be a least as low as a paper-back.

Posted on 24 Nov 2010 14:28:54 GMT
Lexi says:
'Room' was under three pounds when it launched - I know because it was a candidate for KUF's book of the month the same month my book was. Then it shot up to £6.50. Publishers seem to be playing the charts, using a cheap price to get an initial boost, then when the book has achieved visibility, increasing the price. The moral is, if you see a book you want at a fair price, buy it now!

Lexi
Remix

Posted on 25 Nov 2010 10:54:26 GMT
Damaskcat says:
If you think a book costs too much - don't buy it! I check prices on my wish list from time to time and buy at the price that suits me. Plenty of books to choose from after all.

Posted on 27 Dec 2010 11:48:33 GMT
Liz says:
Something else that confuses me is the pricing for kindle books is sometimes lower than the paperback price and sometimes higher. There does not seem to be any consistency in pricing policies. Surely kindle prices should always be lower as there is no waste paper to worry about and it therefore costs less to produce? I am a new kindle user and I absolutely love it by the way!

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 17:18:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jan 2011 17:19:35 GMT
B says:
I am deeply worried that people think that just because there is no physical product Kindle editions should be cheaper than paper. The main cost of producing any book is the advance that is paid to the author. Whether there is a physical edition or not someone has to have created the work in the first place and must be paid for that. With the average annual income for writers being £7,000 you would think that people wouldn't mind paying prices that are comparable to physical editions so that authors' works aren't devalued even further.

Posted on 14 Jan 2011 09:16:14 GMT
@ B - I totally agree with your comments - the authors should and do deserve a premium for their efforts. My concern is that the author doesn't gain from the publishers greed. I'm not connected to the publishing world in any way and hope I'm wrong here but I would guess that the pricing of the book comes from the publisher and it is the company and not the author that benefits. There was some discussion on another forum regarding a number of publishing houses dictating a selling price to Amazon - which effectively means their hands are tied and they cannot reduce the price of a book (even if they wanted to) below the price a publishing house states. I would guess (and it is a guess) that the author doesn't see any extra payment from this. Like I say - I hope I'm wrong. Amazon have stated on the details for the ebook when the publisher has set the price - thereby enabling you to make an informed decision about what you buy.
p.s. the fact that there's VAT added onto e-books accounts for some price difference as paper books don't attract VAT but all price differences can't be blamed on VAT.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2011 11:40:41 GMT
Lexi says:
I believe that publishers currently give authors about 17.5% of the sale price of ebooks. I'm sure that we will increasingly see authors decide to self-publish and make the 70% that Amazon offers them on Kindle. They could afford to charge less, sell more and earn more. Some are already doing this with their back catalogue, where the contract was drawn up before ereaders had been invented.

Lexi
Remix

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2011 18:59:19 GMT
Bookish says:
I understand what you are saying and the creator should definitely be paid - however I feel that there are obviously costs incurred in the actual production of hard copy books which publishers are now not having to pay. Who is benefitting from this saving - I'm guessing not authors? Surely this could be passed on to consumers to go green & encourage ebook sales?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2011 14:03:32 GMT
I agree. As i have only recently purchased my kindle not only am I horrified at some of the prices but also the limited choice. Why cannot I download all of Patrick Gales books - only a couple available. The same with Laurie Graham. I hope this wont be an expensive mistake !!!

Posted on 14 Feb 2011 19:52:07 GMT
Actually, if we have self- published, as us indie authors have (and we make up a vast majority of the best sellers) then WE set the price. We can choose and if we put it lower than $2.99, then we only get 35%. Amazon sometimes change the prices and there is nothing we can do about it. Personally, I prefer to keep mine as low as possible for the reasons quoted above. Mine is currently £1.14 and 35% of that is not much! That said, there is no justification for a price tag over 5.99 - at all!

Sugar & Spice

Saffina Desforges

Posted on 15 Feb 2011 16:20:56 GMT
Faith says:
Reading all your comments -there must be a decent % for the author, for all his/her heard work especially in view of the research time spent before the actual book is written. My book The Crossing is published by a publisher and at £5.74 for the Kindle cope I'll receive peanuts. If it was sold without a publisher I may actually do a bit better! (lol). I wrote a blog post on this subject today see my website www.faithmortimerauthor.com. I'd be very interested in your comments please. The Amazon link to The Crossing is http://amzn.to/eDyAgM

Cheers
Faith

Incidently the book in both paperback and Kindle is on here, I'd be delighted if you stopped by to take a look!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2011 19:52:26 GMT
I agree - my kindle was a xmas present at my request from my partner but am already disappointed at the lack of book choice and the cost.I belong a library so have access to any books for free but wanted the convenience of not having to carry books around - especially for holidays.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2011 20:09:29 GMT
I agree, love the product and as I got it for Christmas there were a few £1 offers in January. Whilst I didn't expect that to continue, I was hoping that at least the prices would be about the same as a paperback and yet generally the kindle editions are more expensive. This does put me off a little, feel a bit peeved that having paid in excess of £100 for the device we're now being ripped off on the purchase of books. You would hope they were at least comparable with paperback book charts.

Posted on 23 Feb 2011 09:36:56 GMT
R. Hill says:
Some publishers are setting unacceptable high prices for eBooks which, of course, should be cheaper than physical books, all things being equal. I find it really annoying and now select the Kindle books I buy very carefully. Amazon has started to indicate where the book price has been set by the publisher and I suggest where this is more than the paperback price then just don't buy it. Market forces will eventually encourage authors to migrate from publishers who stifle sales by overpricing eBook/Kindle editions.
The good news is that Amazon does do some fantastic prices for Kindle books where it has the freedom to do so - shop around and wait for the Kindle book you want to come down in price. This is the 21st century and publishers won't be able to control the eBook market pricing for long - the days of Net Book Pricing and anti-competitive pricing have gone!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2011 23:03:44 GMT
ICJW says:
But the Electronic Edition has less value than the paper one, given that it has less utility. You can lend the paper one unlimited times. You can't do that with the Electric one. You can resell and re-coup some of your costs on the paper one, you can't do that with the electronic one. By your reckoning we should pay the same for a fiat, as a Ferrari, as we should ignore the physical costs like printing and distribution, and focus on rewarding the designer of the car.

Really? I think the electronic copy should ALWAYS be cheaper than the paper one, as you can do less with it!

Posted on 23 Feb 2011 23:50:14 GMT
I think the price of the ebooks are terrible, paying more for an ebook than you would for a hardback! I'm really disappointed and i wish i never bought my kindle now. I know you get certain books free, etc etc but not the ones i want. Especially books i have bought through amazon, surely there should be a special discount if you have already purchased the book previous to buying a kindle. :(

Posted on 26 Feb 2011 20:46:52 GMT
R. Saunders says:
It certainly has put me off and the Kindle is gathering dust on the shelf. I just hope that someone sees sense in the not too near future.
Am I the odd one out in that I do not find searching for potential 'reads' very user friendly - someone needs to add a touch of "Apple marketing" to this site?

Posted on 27 Feb 2011 22:49:31 GMT
Thats why so many are turning to the 70p/99c books, and there's some great ones - the Stephen Leather, Amanda Hocking or Russell Payne's BBC book - Morris Telford.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2011 10:37:09 GMT
longstocking says:
I agree - but how can Kindle e book prices be so similar to the printed version when there is no material product? I know we have to pay for 'intellectual content', but seems to me someone is making an inordinately large profit at this stage.

Posted on 2 Mar 2011 15:58:04 GMT
sallyg says:
I have really noticed that the prices of kindle books seem to have gone up since the kindle became more popular. When I first got my kindle last year the prices of ebooks always seemed to be cheaper than the paperback version and now they are always more expensive, with the exception of the obvious special offer books on sale for around the £1 mark. I agree with the contributor who said that you can do more with a paperback e.g lend it, sell it on or give it to charity.

Posted on 2 Mar 2011 20:53:28 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Mar 2011 20:54:00 GMT]

Posted on 10 Mar 2011 19:37:57 GMT
Im not sure but I also think that Amazon is an american listed company and therefore price changes could have something to do with exchange rates between sterling and usd

Posted on 12 Mar 2011 14:17:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2011 13:09:21 GMT
Bookaholick says:
After a conversation with a friend I bought my Kindle as soon as it was released in UK last year. Whilst I was concerned that I would not 'get on with it' as it would lack the familiar and comforting tactile sensation of a paperback, once it arrived and I had it in my hand I would not allow it to go to santa, I downloaded books, began to read and have not stopped. I too was looking forward to cheaper books as well as the portability and ease of downloading new stuff to read immediately. It was therefore disappointing that my favourite authors Stephen King, Tom Clancy and Lee Childs were either some of the more expensive ones or not available in Kindle format at all! However I persevered and found stacks and stacks of either free or very low cost books and proceeded to download them. If Amazon details state 'price set by publisher' I don't buy and I won't buy until those prices come down. I am not depriving the authors as I already have a lot of these books in paperback, bought before my Kindle, but if they had been reasonable I would have bought again in Kindle format. By 'buying' some of the free and low cost books I have discovered some great new authors that I would never have come across before and I constantly update. I can't wait to go to Turkey for my five weeks holiday this summer when I can swan through check in with my books in my handbag rather that in a rolling suitcase behind me! Whatever happens to the price of Kindle books you will still have to prise the Kindle from my cold dead hand!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  24 Sep 2010
Latest post:  25 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Room
Room by Emma Donoghue (Audio CD - 3 Sept. 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,724)