Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Apr 2012 13:37:34 BDT
Stickinsect says:
Isn't this too expensive? How do we know she can write non-Hogwarts books?

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 14:35:27 BDT
Kojaks Lolly says:
Not really. A tenner for a new release hardback isn't that expensive.

Maybe if you're unsure then wait for the paperback or use your local library.

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 15:40:34 BDT
I agree with M. Adams - a tenner seems reasonable for a new hardback.

Charging two quid more than that for the Kindle version, which doesn't require printing and costs substantially less to distribute, however, is considerably less justifiable.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 11:34:06 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I suggest you try checking on the relative costs of producing an e-book compared with a paper book. You'll find they're virtually the same. The cost of printing and distributing a mass market paperback is less than 50p - very little more for a hardback. Proof reading, editing and conversion to the correct format are the same for any edition. E-books costs server time - not always cheap whatever you think. Then there is VAT on e-books and there isn't on paper books. Amazon can charge what they like for paper books - e-book prices are often set by the publisher and cannot be altered by Amazon.

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 20:09:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Apr 2012 20:09:46 BDT]

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 20:11:47 BDT
Aerasay says:
What I don't understand is if it is anti-competitive to set the price of a paper back book in the UK, why is it not anti-competitive for the publisher to set the price of an e-book. I don't mind paying the same price for my Kindle book as for a paperback/hardback, but I will not buy this book for my kindle because of the price difference.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:38:12 BDT
Fosca says:
11.99 is too expensive for a kindle book. I've noticed that the kindle price never comes down even when the paperback version comes out. I'll wait and buy second-hand paying 1p + postage as my protest to greedy publishers. I can then pass the book on. after all one can't share a kindle book.

Posted on 23 Jul 2012 02:44:02 BDT
Ben Shearon says:
Kindle costs more than hardcover??? What planet is the pricing team living on? Shame on you.

I presume there is some kind of 'ebooks don't count towards the bestseller listings' thing going on.

Posted on 21 Aug 2012 15:21:16 BDT
dwein22 says:
Won't be buying either until the price is at least comparable. Not the first time I've come over a ebook costing more than a physical book but not by this amount.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 16:10:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 16:11:53 BDT
Kirsty says:
Not buying this until it is atleast equal to the hardback price. At the moment the kindle version is 2.13 more, how is this fair when it is not costing them to print the book?

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 22:21:37 BDT
12 for an electronic copy of a book

RIP OFF

I'll wait a month or two and buy the physical copy for less.

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 23:43:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2012 23:43:34 BDT
Erm let's not forget the government demand 20% VAT on eBooks over `real' books so take 20% off the price for a start. So minus 2.40 by my count then consider you don't have to travel to get it = fuel costs and it saves space in your home!

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 08:51:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 10:02:55 BDT
Dee says:
I pre ordered the hb from Waterstones for 3 dep total to pay 10 Kindle price too high for me ....
PS Have now read and enjoyed the sample on Kindle :)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 09:00:07 BDT
And I can't lend it to friends/family.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 10:01:39 BDT
Norm Deplume says:
Kindle e-books include VAT at 3% because Amazon is registered in Luxembourg where electronic books are charged a lower rate.

If it were 20% then the VAT would be 2.00, not 2.40 - it's 20% of the pre-VAT price not the total.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 10:42:12 BDT
CJacharan says:
You can actually buy this book in Tesco for 8!! I think it is totally unfair to sell the kindle version for more. >:-(

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 12:05:53 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Sep 2012 12:06:50 BDT]

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 12:30:05 BDT
T. Gray says:
"Book Lover" over at the 1* review that others are getting upset with says the following:
"I work in publishing and I can maybe give a little insight in to the pricing of the ebook...Ebooks are often priced at a higher rate to direct customers in to buying the hard copies initially, as the production costs for those hard copies need to be payed for. I'm sure the ebook price will be reduced in a few months. The alternative is to release the ebook a few months later after the costs have been covered, which is what a lot of non-fiction publishers choose to do, but with the immediate demand for fiction i'm sure there would be masses of complaints if the ebook wasn't released at the same time. It might not cost very much to produce an electronic version of a book but it sure does cost a lot of money to commission, edit, proof read, design, print and market. It's a pretty common procedure!"

This sounds like a compelling argument as far as the publishers are concerned, but presumably this partly means they are printing too many hardback copies of the book, and are also not thinking about how people perceive the difference in purchase price.

If the Kindle version was listed at the same price as the hard back then even after VAT (at whatever rate Amazon or the publisher pay - is it 3%, is it 20%?) presumably they would cover the non-printing related costs as they would sell a lot more. In having the price look so different to the buyer (regardless of the VAT rates involved) causes a lot of people to stop and think about whether to buy, rather than just getting on and buying it and enjoying the book.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 13:22:43 BDT
G. Wilson says:
The government treats ebooks differently to normal books. By charging VAT on ebooks they are unfairly increasing the price.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 16:04:22 BDT
Kirsty says:
Amazon.com is selling the kindle version of this book cheaper than the hardback so why are UK kindle customers forced to pay more than the hardback?

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 20:14:19 BDT
A. Steele says:
I think a time has come when they should be a standardised form of charging with regards to Kindle books. As price variation is unbelievable. Usually you can get the book cheaper (either new or second-hand), than the kindle price, yet still Amazon won't go about standardising prices. I can understand the second-hand book market being discounted, but surely when the paper version is cheaper than the kindle version, then I have got to question the 'greed' by Amazon. Another bug-bear is that when the book comes out in hardback the price is reflected (as here but at a higher price), then when the paperback version comes out the price falls. I can understand publishers, authors, wanting to make money, but surely the book will be the same whether it is hard or soft backed! I think it is maybe therefore time to as I say standardised prices. I know that books come out earlier in hardback and they are more expensive to make (and send-out), but a digital book does not need to be sent through the post it can be WI-FI transferred. I think it is time for Amazon to have a serious re-think when it does things like this (I mean how much profit are they going to make from this one book alone, it doesn't really bare thinking about.
Sorry about the rant, but ever since I got my kindle that has been a constant 'bug-bear' of mine.

Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 20:27:16 BDT
Norm Deplume says:
The cost of the US Kindle version is more than the UK version even before any US sales tax is added. The hardback costs quite a bit more than the UK edition.

Not really much of an advantage is it? Perhaps most of the complainers would go away if Amazon raised the price of the hardback to, say, 12.99. Then the e-book would be cheaper and everyone would be happy.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 20:42:05 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 20:54:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 20:55:01 BDT
Norm Deplume says:
"The electronic copy, however, costs them absolutely nothing at all to produce. Each sale is 100% profit."

No author's royalties? No back office costs? No marketing costs? No editing costs?

What sort of world do you live in?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 21:02:53 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xadf7dcf0)

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  13 Apr 2012
Latest post:  3 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling
3.5 out of 5 stars   (2,809)