Customer Discussions > Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360) forum

Previewing games on amazon...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Sep 2007 15:37:07 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I've just had a look at the discussion going on in the reviews section for this game and thought it best that if anyone is going to continue the debate it should be done in a discussion topic and not on the review section.

This isn't a games site and so previewing a game in the reviews section (where scores add to a games rating) should be stopped. I've noticed on several game "previews" (most notably Halo 3) people are hailing it the best game ever or trashing it because they didn't like the previous games. Seeing as these games have not been released yet it is not fair to either praise or trash them in a section where the scores given will actually attribute to the overall customer score that the game will get.

People will use the average customer score to gauge the quality of a game from those that have played it and not those that have seen a few videos and read some hype in a magazine. It's a bad practise that is not fair on those trying to sell the game or those thinking about buying it.

If you want to preview a game then use this section to inform people rather than writing a preview in a section that quite clearly states it is for REVIEWS.

Anyway, that's my two pence worth. Regarding the game, from what I've read and the video footage I've seen it does look like it has got good potential and if the control scheme is well executed then this could well be a winner.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2007 12:45:25 BDT
lankey says:
I'm also sick of people previewing games purely based on a demo, or on a previous incarnation of a game. But its down to Amazon themselves to remove any 'review' which isn't actually a review. I've reported a couple of these to Amazon in the past but gave up as nothing seems to have been done to improve the situation.

In the Halo 3 section you mention I noticed that about 90% of the reviews were done well before the game was actually released and in my opinion the game is rather average if not below that mark.

Maybe Amazon can make something unreviewable until the date it is actually released, but as it stands the review scores cannot be taken at face value due to the abuse of the system.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2007 18:41:35 BDT
I agree.
Thanks G.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2007 14:54:54 BDT
W. Bevan says:
To be honest... It is annoying that people review the game before playing it or before it is even released, but does that really dictate whether or not you will buy it? I really don't think so. I like the look of this game, and I wouldn't just look at the number of stars the game has on amazon to make the final decision whether to buy it or not.

It's mainly children posting these reviews, and I agree it's annoying, but is it really affecting your life enough to warrant an increase on your stress level?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2007 12:36:54 BDT
Malcolm Lawn says:
It does affect you, if you've come here looking for a real review and have to wade through 50 + speculative rants, mostly from inarticulate kids.

Some people do get genuine access to full preview or pre-release copies and, of course, even the genuine article if it's been published earlier in the US. That's what I want to read about here.

Why Amazon allow such a huge amount of space be taken up with this other fatuous material I can't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2007 15:48:12 GMT
The solution to the problem is so simple its not even funny.

Before a game as been released, users can contribute a message to a "preview" section, identical to the current review section.

On the date of release, the preview section becomes locked. No more comments or preview ratings can be added.

On the day after release, a review section opens much like is present now.

Im a webdesigner and in my opinion...this would not be a difficult system to implement :)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2007 13:11:28 GMT
C. Cranmer says:
I also agree, but you don't need to go and put a 'review' up yourself complaining. That just makes it even worse. (you may not have done one yourself, but to all those that have...)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  23 Sep 2007
Latest post:  17 Nov 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360) by Ubisoft (Xbox 360)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (274)