on 23 May 2002
Sam Jones goes on yet another adventure with her friends and this time it's poor Tom who's in trouble. Sam is as funny and crude as ever and still hasn't gotten over her problem with fidelity. Brilliantly complicated plot and full of well placed surprises. If you're a fan you'll love it. If you're conservative you won't
on 14 November 2001
disagree with the reader who thought it was a slow start - it was yet another great and funny Sam (and Hugo) sex scene! Henderson doesn't always have the murder on the first page and that's one of the things I really like about her books - she's building atmosphere and character so when the murder hits you're already really into the book, caring about the characters, and oh yeah, laughing your head off. I loved Pretty Boy and was gripped till the fabulously Gone With The Wind ending. Sam is really going from strength to strength and the pretty boy of the title certainly lives up to his description!
on 20 September 2014
Lauren Henderson's world and mine could hardly be further apart, but I'm totally hooked on her books and her character Sam Jones. Lauren uses English so well, you feel you know Sam intimately - but perhaps not as intimately as you'd like to! The books cross many genres: there's crime, detection, humour, sex, literacy, even a touch of P G Wodehouse in the use of simile. More please!
on 23 September 2001
I couldn't wait to get my hands on the latest Lauren Henderson, expecting to be gripped by the misadventures of Sam Jones. However, this latest offering did not meet up to the standard of her previous novels. Pretty Boy started off too slowly and did not have me page turning from the outset, but things hotted up from Chapter 5, from that point on I was truly hooked and kept guessing. It has the fantastic combination of quirky characters (some new, some old), passion and mystery.
I would urge others to read this novel and not to give up in the first 50 pages, after that the Lauren magic is very much in evidence.
on 7 September 2001
Sam Jones, for me she ranks with Steph Plum as a female sleuth - and this outing is as thrilling as ever. Quite a lot of flirting this time (which I won't disapprove of!). A raunchy read, really, only matched this year by the steamy affair between lawyer David Kilkenny and super-sleuth DI Ellen Ross in Dexter Dias's brilliant POWER OF ATTORNEY.
For steamy thrills and a bit of mystery thrown in I strongly recommned both POWER OF ATTORNEY and PRETTY BOY. Emma.