Pre-order at £20.33 cancelled?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 186 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jan 2012 21:53:09 GMT
Neack says:
Hi All,

It seems that my pre-order of the game at £20.33 has simply been removed from the order I had made with it.
Am I the only one in the case or did Amazon cancel all of them as they were too cheap?

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 22:05:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2012 22:05:59 GMT
March202 says:
Hi my orders vanished to, no confirmation e-mail or anything just gone. I'd got it at £20.33 aswell, e-mailed customer service to try and get an update.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 22:35:25 GMT
Same thing happened to me. They need to add it back to my pre-orders at the price they listed of £20.33. If they made a mistake by putting it at that price thats their fault not ours. We deserve to have it at the price advertised. Hopefully it's just a glitch...

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 00:26:03 GMT
I've also got the same problem. Pre-ordered at £20.33. I've just sent off an email to Customer Service. Hopefully they'll respond soon.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 00:34:27 GMT
This page may come in useful: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-pricing-disputes/your-rights/

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 01:21:47 GMT
They just deleted the MGS part of my order and tried to charge to my credit card the Sonic Generations that was in pack with it for FreeSSD purposes. That's a cheap move amazon, disappointing.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 01:22:56 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 6 Jan 2012 01:23:05 GMT]

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 09:01:24 GMT
Steven says:
Hey folks,

Do me a favour and read the preorder guarantee - just go on the MGS page and click on it. Amazon have done a stupid, stupid thing because they have voided their own terms and conditions! You are to be charged the lowest price between ordering and release date, so that is £20.33. Remember to use your order number and quote it on the email so they can't then respond "Sorry, but without an order number you have no proof". If they refuse to sell it to me as they promised, then I won't be buying it from here.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 10:51:15 GMT
Paul Whelan says:
I just received this:

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for

'Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)' (ASIN: B0058H1YOG)

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order. Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will cancel the order and notify you of that cancellation.

Your order has now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2012 11:18:20 GMT
Joel Stinton says:
just got that as well. Dissapointed. But its not end of the world. Would have thought they noticed earlier since it was top of the entire game pre-order chart. Or unless they recieved such amount of orders they've tried to screw us over.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 11:19:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2012 11:27:52 GMT
I ordered prior to the £20.33 price drop and received an email saying:

Hello,

We're writing about your order for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

I'm sorry to tell you that your order for this game collection has been mistakenly cancelled.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2012 11:21:44 GMT
I received the same e-mail. It was at that price for at least three days over the Christmas period; it's not like it was an error that only lasted for a couple of minutes.

My complaint is based mainly on principle; I would expect Amazon to honour the price we all purchased the product at and learn from their mistake, rather than falsely advertising a product at one price and then raising the price in the hope that customers will just swallow it and cough up the extra money.

This is where large companies are a real let down; customer service disappears once an organisation reaches a certain size.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 11:36:09 GMT
Neack says:
As per http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-HD-Collection/product/B0058H1YOG
This price was advertised between the 24th of December and the 3th of January.
Seems like a long period for a pricing mistake...
I don't care so much but AFAIK, the same happened with the preorders of SWTOR and Amazon had to grant a rebate to the people which had pre-ordered it because of the many complains they had.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:11:22 GMT
Hopefully everyone complains then, this happens all too often with Amazon- it's getting beyond a joke.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:15:51 GMT
Carl-G says:
Yeah mine was cancelled to today :-/ I think its out of order doing that(it happened with GT5 a few years back to) I don't care if it was a pricing mistake, not my problem LoL I should get it for the price i pre-ordered it at. I might order my games from somewhere else from now on :-/

COME ON AMAZON! YOU CAN AFFORD TO MAKE A SMALL LOSS TO KEEP YOUR LOYAL(i am 1)CUSTOMERS HAPPY NO? ;)

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:28:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2012 12:29:22 GMT
If Amazon.co.uk are operating in the UK, they're bound to follow UK Consumer Protection guidelines: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-pricing-disputes/your-rights/

"Before you pay: If you take a wrongly-priced item to the till and the assistant spots it, they can refuse to sell it to you for that price. If you order an item on the internet, you don't have a legally-binding contract until the retailer has contacted you to confirm the order. If the wrong price is spotted before the retailer confirms the order, they do not have to sell to you at that price.

"After your order has been accepted: If your offer has been accepted (for example, you pay a deposit, OR RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL), generally you can insist that the retailer sells you the goods for the price they were advertised at. If the retailer wants to charge you more, you may be able to buy the same item elsewhere and claim against the original trader for the difference in price. To do this you should write to the retailer in the first instance, explaining what you are doing. If it doesn't agree to refund you the money, you will normally then have to take a claim to the small claims court.
"The trader could try to argue that it made a mistake with the pricing which could make the contract void. But it would have to show that the price was so low that you must have known it was not genuine: for example, a new leather jacket with a price tag of £2 on it."

Looks like not only are they not following Consumer Protection guidelines, but they're also breaking the terms of their own Pre-Order Guarantee. If the MGS HD game was priced £2.33 or something, then they could believably claim it was an error, but knocking about £10 off to make a price of £20.33 is a legitimate reduction, and I don't believe this.

I might actually complain about this.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2012 12:33:23 GMT
Good point. I also check the status of my orders daily and I noticed that this product was priced at £20.33 for quite some time. I think it is worthwhile complaining to Amazon further about this.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:42:25 GMT
jwchips says:
In reply to Neural - Unfortunately this does not apply. If you look at the email you received when you placed your order you will find the following:
Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you.

Also in reply to Steven, the Price Guarantee for Pre-Orders doesn't apply to misprices. Its explicitly excluded in the T&C's.

All this said however, I'm still going to get them to call me so I can complain. £20.33 isn't that much cheaper than its on for now, if it was up for a fiver I'd understand, but at over £20 they should honour my order.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:43:08 GMT
I suggest we all complain. I am going to. Just say they are breaking their own pre order price guarantee and also breaking UK law by doing what they did. If enough people do it they'll have to oblige.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 12:56:16 GMT
twinpeaked says:
So if we are making a mass complaint, can someone post a brief summary of the points that we should be making in an email?

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:03:45 GMT
jwchips says:
Well I won't be mentioning Consumer Protection Laws or their Pre-Order Price Guarantee as I've already shown neither of these apply, and I don't want to give Amazon any ammo for not honouring my order. The route I'm going to go down is that £20.33 doesn't look like a misprice when it stayed at that price for a week. Also its only gone up by under £10, so it wasn't an unrealistic price at £20 and they should honour it.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:06:58 GMT
twinpeaked says:
jwchips, good call, I will probably write something after lunch, any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can we use the Asda price as a viable component of the argument?

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:10:08 GMT
I have already complained as I ordered this item back in September (long before any price matching of Asda took place and then subsequently withdrawn saying it was a misprice). But I got Amazon's standard response:

The Conditions of Use and Sale displayed on our website clearly state that there is no contract between Amazon.co.uk and the customer for an item until Amazon.co.uk accepts the customer order by e-mail, confirming that it has dispatched the item. The order confirmation e-mail is simply an acknowledgement of our receipt of your order and no contract is formed until we send an e-mail confirming that we've dispatched the item.

Until that time, Amazon.co.uk is within its rights not to accept your order and may indicate its non-acceptance by cancelling your order.

This is not fair on the consumer as I saw the deal Asda were offering in December but then noticed Amazon's price drop to match Asda and so thought I was protected by Amazon's Pre-Order Guarantee. For that reason I didn't place an order with Asda but now I've had my Amazon order cancelled. Asda are no longer running their promotion on this game. So with Amazon's dirty tricks Asda do not get my custom and I lose out.

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:15:33 GMT
jwchips says:
Asda were selling at this price too? I wasn't aware of this, were Amazon matching Asda or vice-versa? Seems highly unlikely it was a misprice

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:20:06 GMT
Here's details of the Asda deal that Amazon price matched:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-pre-order-xbox-360-20-33-asda-direct-1101175#post13283798

The Asda promo ran: Starts: 25/12/2011 Expires: 04/01/2012
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  186
Initial post:  5 Jan 2012
Latest post:  18 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3) by Konami (PlayStation 3)
4.9 out of 5 stars   (137)