on 5 December 2011
My College assignment is to write a psalm, and so this was particularly helpful in highlighting the characteristics of Hebrew poetry. I understand now what a tall order it is to write a psalm, but en route, I have found it personally liberating and enlightening. I am grateful to Brueggemann for his depth of psychological insight and now have a greater understanding of the difference between the language of the psalms and our own Anglican, not rocking-the-boat approach. I understand now why I am impatient with some of our conversation which leaves us untouched, because we neither own what we feel or dare to express it if we do. I am challenged still to write the psalm, and hope that my 'niceness' and desire for equilibrium will be overcome as I venture into the world of hyperbole and metaphor, rage, hatred, joy and vengeance. A rich world indeed. Thank you. I hope my prayers will change.
on 6 September 2013
Although this booklet contains only 72 pages , written by someone who has an awesome grasp of the subject , expressed with such clarity of mind, .....a book to be savoured.
on 15 December 2013
A superb devotional resource which is inspirational. Brueggemann manages to bring new & fresh meanings to the text & relate it in a relevant and thought-provoking way.
on 8 August 2013
Brueggemann at his best. Brilliant engagement with prayers of vengeance and the relevance, and necessity for today. 70 pages of great value.
on 4 March 2016
Enjoyed reading it as I do all of Brueggeman's work
on 29 February 2016
Great for a Lent Course on the Psalms.
on 7 April 2015