Format: Paperback|Change

It has been a long time since I have read a book so immediately applicable, a book that literally drove me to my knees. It is a book that instilled a greater desire and conviction of the need for prayer and ways to pray specifically. But this book is much more than just a guide book. It is amazing that a book of just over 100 pages can have so much power and an incredibly lasting impact. This book was so powerful I did not trust myself to write a review at first; I waited until after a second reading and a month had passed to have some more perspective. All I can say is that it truly is an amazing book. I honestly believe that every Christian parent should read this book to be better equipped to pray for their children.

My first time reading this book I highlighted 20 passages. I have pulled out some of the best to highlight for you in small glimpses, some of the knowledge and wisdom that this book will impart.

Mark starts off by acknowledging that becoming a praying parent is hard work. To be disciplined to pray for our children is work and many in family life start to let things slide. "You don't become a praying parent by default. You do it by design, by desire, by discipline. Spiritual disciplines take sheer determination, but if you determine to circle your children in prayer, you will shape their destinies, just like Susanna Wesley shaped the destinies of her children. Your prayers will live on in their lives long after you die. Your prayers for your children are the greatest legacy you can leave." p. 18. From there he moved on to remind us that all our prayers must pass two tests: "It's imperative to distinguish between your will and God's will. Every prayer, including your prayers for your children, must pass a twofold litmus test: your prayers must be in the will of God and for the glory of God. ... Prayer is the way we take our hands off and place our children in the hands of God." p. 20-21. We need to pray God's will and God's glory or else we are just not doing it right.

Mark's earlier book, The Circle Maker, has been immensely popular. This book is an off-shoot but can easily be read without reading the first one. Mark States: "Drawing prayer circles is a metaphor that simply means "to pray without ceasing." It's praying until God answers. It's praying with more intensity, more tenacity. It's not just praying for; it's praying through. ... We need to start praying ALAT prayers - as long as it takes. That's what praying circles is all about. It's resolving in your heart of hearts that you will pray until the day you die." p. 29 And that is what God is after for us as parents, to be Prayer Warriors in our children's corner, interceding for them, to stand between them and the enemy and them and the world, to raise them up in the ways of God. "Parenting is the hardest thing you'll ever do. And the more you love your kids, the harder it is." p. 31. The more we love, the more we can be hurt.

Finally, he reminds us this will be a life-long journey. "Does this mean the final battle has been fought? We know better; we're parents! The challenges never end, but we need to celebrate our victories along the way. And for the record, prayer is the way we fight our battles. Prayer is the difference between you fighting for God and God fighting for you. Secret prayer is our secret weapon." p. 33, 34. We will be praying until we go home to God or until Christ comes again.

This was an incredible little book. I cannot say how beneficial it was to my prayer life and know I will be reading many more of Batterson's books in the months to come. Give it a try - it is more than worth the low price tag!
on 30 December 2012
Excellent book! A must read for parents, grandparents and people who want children!
Challenging in all the right ways and really makes you think!

Another great book as I also love the circle maker
on 23 February 2013
Before reading this book I did pray for my kids but this has encourage me to be more focused and more persistent in my prayers. I would recommend it to all parents and I have brought a couple of copies to lend to friends. It is a very short book so even a new mum could read it while feeding her baby.
on 7 May 2013
I think this is a spin-off from his original book the circle maker. I'm assuming that book is a little more in depth as this one is kind of light. For me there's an awkward tension between, on the one hand, prayer makes a difference, and on the other, we can't get our own way just by saying the right words. It would have been good if this book addressed those issues, but instead it got straight to the practice of praying for your children. I would have liked a little more theory. Also some of the examples given for praying bible verses seemed to take them rather out of context
on 23 February 2013
Stay together in the spiritual realm.
I purchased this book to encourage and active my prayer life for my children.
It has opened my eye's and my heart to new dimensions of prayer in a creative practical way, of sowing good seed into my children's future and also recognised the power of prayer, and again recognizing the nature of God faithfulness, unchangeable
love and powerful.

Would highly recommend this book to parents,teacher, or and one who works with children.
It's a great easy read.!
on 23 April 2014
So often we take our children for granted. Our prayers are not always as bold or as vivid as they should be. This book reminds us that praying for our children should be a daily priority and a focused one. The different ways to circle with prayer adds a template for variety and designing our approach to what is appropriate and individual for each child. I believe that God will honour our sincerity as we leave such a legacy of faith for our children. I was blessed.
on 25 April 2013
Read a bit. Encouraged me to pray for my unborn baby. Would have anyway but I'm being more specific in my requests.
on 14 March 2013
This book challenged me as a parent and reminded me of what was required of me to help shape my children's future.
on 31 December 2012
Easy reading read it in one night gives a very visual way to pray for your children grandchildren well worth a read -with an open mind not getting hung up on any thing as with all books not everything will fit your situation but its a good starting point and an easy adaptable principal to focus your prayers
on 14 February 2014
I love this book and am now wanting to read the original for myself. It was really great in challenging and directing my prayers for my kids, building on other teaching such as Stormie Omartian's 'Power of a Praying Parent'. At this price, I could not pass it up and have bought for friends too.