Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 September 2012
I am on a paleo diet since nearly one year and have found it to be perfect, I lost lots of weight effortlessly whilst feeling great. At the same time I transitioned my then 3 year old onto paleo (he has got a host of problems, several allergies, had infant reflux, hypotonia, hypermobility, sensory processing disorder, eczema) and whilst it bettered LOTS of his symptoms he was never completely fine, his sleep was TERRIBLE, he would literally wake up every hour.
fast forward to the book practical paleo and it's awesome meal plans for different conditions. PLUS I heard of FODMAPS for the first time ever, the day I took these out of my sons diet he slept 12 hours straight!!!!! And continues to do so, his skin is fab now (and you can instantly tell when he had something that doesn't suit him..)
I have to say this book has saved my sanity, because sleep deprivation is not fun. Especially not for nearly 3.5 years!!
The recipes are great too - I have cooked a lot of them and I love the simplicity of them. Yet they are still tasty!!
Thank you Diane!!!
on 27 August 2012
Bought this after reading all the hype and it really lives up to it. It is a one-stop Paleo reference guide and more. No more trawling the Internet with keyword searches - it's all here. I recommend this book to anyone who has already adopted a Paleo lifestyle - particularly newbies - and also to anyone who is interested in learning more about Paleo before embarking on their own journey.
on 1 July 2013
This book had really good reviews so I went ahead and bought it. As a confirmed Kindle user, naturally I took the Kindle option but am very disappointed. I wasn't bothered about the pictures but I find the layout quite confusing and when the links don't take you to where they should and the back button doesn't always take you back to the correct location, I ended up getting so frustrated.
Because of that, I gave up on this book and can't actually comment on the content as I was distracted with trying to find my way around. Hence the 2 stars - purely as it doesn't work on Kindle.. I may bite the bullet and buy the hardback copy, haven't decided if it's worth it yet.
on 28 May 2016
If you are looking for an introduction to Paleo (and other sensible nutrition advice, including programs tailored for specific health conditions) this book is recommended as one of the best on the market. Good presentation and layout, easy to read and full of common sense (can be adapted for vegetarian or vegan diets). Although the principles covered in this book are sensible and informative, if you are suffering from a particular condition (or suspect you may be), then consult a doctor or qualified dietitian/nutritionist to have the recommended tests and a program tailored for you. Everyone is different. Even if you believe you are following the best advice and eating real food, if you're sensitive to or deficient in something, it may be hindering your path to optimum health.
on 27 October 2012
I'm new to Paleo lifestyle and this book has lots of information. It is very big with wide contents of treating various problems from diabetes to just 30 days clean Paleo. I must say I started this plan last week with amazing results. My skin is not clearing yet but my stomach feels so much flatter and I lots 2.5 kilos in one week. However I have still one coffee with a bit of normal milk. I tried the cocunut milk for coffee but it changes the all taste of the coffee. I'm making lots of soups. For breakfast I have fruit salad. Lunch is some chicken, salad and few wedges of sweet potato if I have been training hard and then dinner is soup. It takes time to prepare your meals but is worth it because you will feel great. Back to the book. I haven't read it all yet but it has got great recipes. Even if you have sweet tooth like me there are Paleo friendly alternatives. I hope I stick with it and lose my last stone. People been commenting how much slimmer I look. No more bloated carb face :) If you are beginner like me this book is perfect for you. It has got all the information you will ever need about Paleo.
on 10 January 2014
Bought this book as my hubby has been put on this eating plan by his Specialist for an illness. Loads and loads of good, recipes for this eating plan. Use it every day at some point! Would definitely recommend this book to anyone hoping to follow this way of eating!
on 5 December 2012
I ordered this because I was tired of trying to adapt standard food recipes to Paleo, and also tired of doing online searches for new ways to cook chicken, beef, etc.

On first glance I thought this book would have too much basic information for me, and not enough recipes. Just over half of the book is devoted to information, research, and meal plans. I am already a Paleo convert so I didn't think this info would be helpful (I just wanted some recipes!) but I was wrong. There is a lot I did not know, and this info is fantastic motivation to stick to Real Food.

Be warned that it is written for an American audience, with its measurements, studies, etc. BUT in a world of low production value Paleo cookbooks, this is definitely one of the better-produced, better-photographed, and practical Paleo books out there. I've got so many pages bookmarked.

As far as recipes, I've tried more than a few and they are very tasty! Highly recommend the taco salad and salsa page, and my husband really liked the bacon wrapped chicken.
on 19 October 2012
The first part of the book is dedicated to teaching you more about the paleo died and what it is based on. Then it moves into the recipes which have a very big variation of meats used so you can surely find a recipe that suits your taste!

The photos that showcase the recipes are fantastic, they show the food in such an appealing light that it's really hard to choose what recipe to try next.
on 20 August 2012
This is the first review I have ever written on Amazon but I love this book so much I just had to review it!! I listen to Diane and Liz's Balanced Bites podcast, which I love btw and I have heard Diane interviewed recently on many of the other podcasts I listen to over here in the UK so I was really looking forward to this book! It arrived on Saturday and I have read it from cover to cover already and tried some of the recipes. I consider myself a 'clean eater' - very fussy about only eating Wholefoods and this book just cements the way I feel about food. It is truly a work of art and Diane should be so proud of the job she has done - I will be recommending it to EVERYONE!! Thanks so much, I can see this will become one of my favourite cookbooks and resources for information on the way I want to fuel my body!
on 15 November 2015
This is an excellent book on paleo - I can't praise it enough! It is very clearly laid out, simple to follow, well reserched, and with just enough science to make it interesting. It is now my fovourite of all my Plaleo books - and I have a number of them, however, most are difficult to read and make things over complex. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in Paleo - - the only downside is that it is very large and heavy! For me, this is the only Paleo bok that I use every day, most of the others i have, though good in their own way, are now gathering dust on the bookshelf .- and did I mention the recipes? very clear, simple, and delicious!