Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 February 2010
This book is very good across the principal topics it covers; however, it is clearly aimed at the more intensive systems of cattle farming - both dairy and beef.

Breeding, nutrition / grazing, housing, health and the law are all covered to a depth sufficient for most professionals - but not to the level of a strictly technical text.

If you require information on the more extensive / progressive farming systems you must look elsewhere, since there's little more than a few paragraphs on the matter.

Overall, an excellent book and well worth reading; no matter what your specific interest is in cattle farming you will learn much that is useful.
on 5 January 2008
I got this as a Christmas present. I'm a vet student, and have found the text easy to read and very informative, my Dad who is a beef farmer, also had a flick though - and I didn't get the book back until a week later!
on 8 June 2012
As a dabbler in farming who's interested in branching out and taking farming to the next level of raising livestock I found this book to be practically informative and well written. I learned a few do's and don'ts that I hadn't known before about milking a cow, for example. I would have liked to see more coverage devoted to certain aspects of cattle farming, such as disease resistance of exotic breeds and some aspects of "green" farming. Still, overall a very informative and also a well-written book on the subject.
on 15 April 2013
I bought this just before starting Agricultural college and I have found it very useful ever since. It's very informative and has been a reference source in many of my essays. Very pleased with buy.
on 12 January 2013
extremely informative and well written. Easy to understand and read. well presented lots of useful tips and tricks. good buy.
on 24 April 2010
I read all of this book and overall it is good. Like the other reviewer said, it is aimed more at intensive farming. I thought it had more for dairy over beef and it's beef i'm more interested in which is why i gave 4 stars. Good for pictures and diagrams that i found useful and the section on housing was detailed and informative. Good detail and explanations. recommended.
on 17 June 2013
Bought this for my son who has started to keep cattle and he has found it a useful reference book
on 25 September 2014