Format: DVD|Change

on 28 May 2006
I had the privilege of being taught Astanga yoga by a hugely talented teacher - but sadly we do not now share a home town, so I've had to look elsewhere for my regular classes. Having checked out a few local classes, it was clear that I would have to be more creative in my search for inspiration and motivation. And so it was that I ordered almost every yoga DVD I could find, from David Swenson to various GAIAM titles and some smaller-name productions too.

This DVD by Rodney Yee is the standout pick of the bunch, along with Swenson's work. Themed on the Astanga Primary Series, with a few modifications and omissions, this is categorically not for beginners. The focus is on dynamic asanas, so there's very little respite and not a single Child's Pose. It'll work you hard and probably make your sweat, but sweat is necessary for the purifying effects of yoga. As a result, this DVD will leave you energised and *enthused* like no other that I've yet come across.

The presentation and execution is perfection itself but what's particularly impressive is that whilst Rodney Yee has a masterly tone and performs the asanas flawlessly, not once does he dip into the fluffy New Age-isms that can emerge in productions of lesser accomplishment. Maybe it's just me, but I found his explanation of how to get the best out of the poses to be spot on and strangely empathetic with the sensations in my body, which for a pre-recording can only be a testament to Yee's depth of knowledge and teaching expertise.

This DVD sets the standard in this generally disappointing genre. I've largely ditched my local yoga classes and will be focusing on self-practice as a result. For those who are unable to find a decent class, this DVD could well be just the tonic.
22 comments| 319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2006
Personally, I commend this DVD highly! Controlled, precise, calm, powerful, relaxing, energising, meditative and nicely taxing without ever becoming excessive. Everything a yoga session should be.
It contains very little 'how to' information, so is not suitable for beginners. However, for those familiar with the asanas, and already into dynamic forms of yoga, it provides an excellent practice session. Although I feel I've had a workout, It always leaves me feeling calm, focused, and with twice as much energy as when I started.
Congratulations Gaiam, and Mr Yee, on a first rate effort.
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2005
[...]this workout has common yoga poses , it's not so advanced but also not for beginners, of course if you have bad knees some of the postures won't be good for you but so in all types of workouts, this tape isn't dangerous for anyone except for people who don't listen to their bodies! This is a 65 minute power yoga routine which starts with few modified sun salutations and then full ones , it continues with standing poses(including hero 3) and vinyasas between them , and then some backbends,twists ,forward bends and corpse in the end.One problem only- there's no arm balances on this dvd like they mentioned on the cover! The quality is excellent and so is the music, so it's worth a try.
on 22 April 2007
With a little prior yoga experience and after reading the previous reviews I thought this might be suitable. It wasn't really! The positions are incredible and while I admired Yee's bendiness, there was no way a fairly inexperienced person could achieve them. The pace of the DVD did not allow me to work them out and there is no advice about how to scale them down, for beginners, until suppleness improves. I would only buy this if you are quite supple and familiar with yoga already otherwise it is just frustrating.
on 3 March 2006
I completely agree with the other reviewers.
I have learnt yoga from DVD's and books only and have been practicing yoga regularly for over two years now. This DVD though, is by far my favourite. Not for complete beginners because it does require some flexibility but it is very easy to follow. Both my strength and flexilbility have increased enourmously since I started using this DVD, and I never tire of Yee's soothing voice, guiding me through the poses. Great for both men and women!
on 16 November 2006
I have worked out to many different yoga dvd's but this one is the best. It's fantastic. Rodney slowly warms you up and then takes you through a non-stop routine of power yoga. You really feel that you have worked out.

There is only one downside to this dvd. Rodney is the only person practicing the yoga so there isn't anyone else to show modifications of the different postures. Because of this I wouldn't recommend this dvd to absolute beginners.

I have been practicing it a while and now and I haven't got bored with it. I think it is definately worth a buy!
on 5 February 2006
A brilliant yoga DVD especially for those with some yoga experience. It gets eaisier with practice as the entire body is worked out, increasing body tone, flexibility and stamina; you definitely feel and notice the difference.
Prefering the ashtanga style of yoga, I much prefer it to Beyond Dynamic Yoga:The Power of Ashtanga and Anotnia Kidman's Yoga which I both felt were a let down. Good, clear instructions from Rodney Lee, magnificent scenery, excellent quality, and so is the music. I am very much addicted to it so it gets my vote, and best value for my money!
on 7 November 2006
I own approximately 10-15 yoga videos/dvds and to date Ali MacGraw/Erich Schiffman Yoga Mind and Body has been my firm favourite. This DVD has the same wonderful scenery and you are again taught by a master but the yoga is completely different. It simply flows. Do not buy this if you want 8 repititions of the same sun salutations or any other large combination of the same movements. This DVD is a mixture of sun salutations, standing poses and seated poses interspersed with bends and twists which keeps your interest going throughout. I cannot imagine getting bored and there are no cheesy lines to annoy you. I've been on/off practising for about 8 years, the standard is challenging enough but obtainable.
on 23 December 2006
I totally agree with the comments of the other reviewers. This is an outstanding yoga DVD and truely great value for its price. Without wanting to sound odd, Rodney Yee's yoga program definately changed my life. I am a 45 year old man whos body had suffered from the pains and strains obtained from the abuse of years of playing a number of contact sports, which left me feeling at times like an 85 year old. I exercise regualarly but was not feeling any benefit from wnat I was doing, yes I can run miles and lift heavy weights, but I was still in pain and I felt that something was missing. My wife encouraged me to take up yoga so I ordered this DVD and after just one class I could tell the difference. As a total beginner I could follow the instructions clearly, however I must admit that there are a few exercises that I could only do in my dreams at this moment in time. I also sweated like I had never done before, but the heat generated soothed and energised my body rather than making me feel tired. I complete a yoga session now three times per week and have been doing this for the past 4 months, the differnce is not only physical, I have no aches and pains in my muscles and joints any more, its as if my body has reballanced itself, but also the clarity of my mind seems to have improved as well. In all because I am not in pain anymore I feel more relaxed and at peace with the world. Believe me I have been involved in many sporting activites and exercise programmes, but this yoga DVD and the instructor is the best I have ever come across. Definately 10 stars out of 5 from me.
on 23 January 2004
Power Yoga: Total Body Workout is an excellent yoga DVD, especially for those who have already taken a few yoga classes. Typical yoga postures are included in dance-like sequences.
The entire body is being worked on from stretching, strength-building, breathing, to complete relaxation. You are sure to feel great and floating afterwards.