on 10 November 2007
I've read a number of these types of books and this is easily one of the best.

It begins by explaining exactly what power phrases are: short and specific targeted messages, and then warns you about using those words and phrases that dilute your message, eg. I could be wrong but, Sorry to bother you but, I was wondering, You may not like this idea but, etc.

I recognised myself saying those things, and this was the first time I'd actually stopped to think about what I was actually SAYING. So although those phrases had nothing to do with the message I was conveying, they robbed the point I was trying to get over. This book explains all of this much better than I can, and gives plenty of examples.

Much of the advice is about how to be assertive, but whilst other books talk about being assertive, this book explains how to actually sound assertive.
on 26 June 2015
I believe that all problems in the world are caused by miscommunication. Misunderstanding creates frustration, anger, headache and loads of problems in professional and personal life of individuals including myself.

Meryl Runion in her book “How to use Power Phrase” explains how to improve communication skills with real life examples in professional environment. These Power Phrases techniques are transferable from professional life into personal. Reading this book I caught myself several times thinking about how can I use this approach to communicate better with my family, my parents, my sister, to make our life much happier. This book is not about how to manipulate people or how to get what you want from others.

This book is telling how to make actions with your words. The key of making words powerful to make changes is to express yourself in a short, precise manner without apologetic emotions and leave minimum space for assumptions and misinterpretations.

The pathway to effective communication starts with yourself, from being clear with your own thoughts, emotions and intentions. “People tend to talk from their emotions, but it is difficult for them to talk about their emotions” - I found it brilliant. In this book I found a lot of examples when person starts a sentence with ‘I think’ and finish it with emotional expressions confusing others or causing resistance to his or her message. Often people look for emotional revenge instead of solving a problem. I have seen this so many times in my life.
I love the idea, that it is more important to be efficient, rather than to prove who is right and who is wrong. At the end of the days these right-wrong games are very exhausting, while everyone will remember the results only.

Speaking clear and powerful requires distinguishing between the following 3 components: thoughts, emotions and intentions. When I try to apply it in my life, it is not easy, because it does not come naturally. I have to make an effort to think about it and understand myself. I take this time to analyse what happens, how I feel about it, what I think and how I want to change it. It helps me avoiding hustle emotion response, which usually makes situation even worse. I think it really works.

At the end I would like to add that the author also underlines differences in communication between genders. Women are more personally involved in the conversation and they build relationship based on similarities with other people. And I think my reflection on this book is confirming this statement. Most of the tips in this book relate to professional environment but I can implement them in my personal life.

I believe this book does not solve all your problems, but it will make your life much easier and happier. Finally, the book is easy to read and can be very useful.
on 25 March 2013
great, straight forward advice. Have been able to implement some of the techniques and have seen real changes, already. Still reading and enjoying feeling more in control, generally.
on 20 December 2015
Great book, you can really learn a lot from it. You feel real 'unblocked' when saying them and is a nice way to remain assertive whilst maintaining your integrity and feeling responsible.....its just that at the same time it still feels like with the power phrases you're still slightly pussy-footing around and not being as direct or upforward as you'd want to be.

I think this is better for work situations where being so bold and direct wont be best.
on 13 May 2014
Straight forward. Recognised my own poor use of language and the effect that has had on being clear and effective.
on 28 December 2009
Power Phrases was an important reminder of how often we miss opportunities to express ourselves because we have become mired in normal everyday expressions. Especially important to me were the destructive phrases which should not be used because they damage ourselves and others. There was nothing especially new to me but I really enjoyed this book because it collected and detailed all the constructive and destructive methods to communicate.
on 13 July 2015
I came out of reading the book feeling powerful and a nicer guy. I felt an expressive accretion within me as I took the trip all the way from the first line to the last. It was so digestible that I read it in my one sitting. Go get the book.
on 26 September 2014
This ebook is an easy and pleasant read, There are many suggestions of phrases to use in different situations and a formula to create your own Power Phrases- Good book
on 11 May 2016
Pleasure to read again and again.
on 5 March 2016
Sounds like it was written from an American cultural standpoint by a senior citizen, in a Florida retirement village. The intentions are honourable and good, in my opinion but the choice of words may not work over here in England. I can imagine being laughed at saying some of this stuff.
You know sometimes, saying a good old fashioned clear and resolute **** Off will do just fine.