Format: PaperbackChange

on 19 February 2012
I studied general engineering for two years as part of my degree (then specialised in computers for the following two years) so I am a technical person with a solid understanding of general engineering principles. However, I don't have a thorough knowledge of power generation, which is why this book piqued my interest.

For me, this book was written at exactly the right level. Non-technical people will struggle with it, while those with a background in power generation will be bored. It covers power generation at many scales, from using flywheels to store energy right up to coal and nuclear plants.

My largest criticism of this book is that it needs a lot of tidying up. The chapters seem a little out of order and there are significant numbers of typos. The overall feeling is that this book was written as a past-time and published on a low budget. Had it not been for this rather ragged nature, I would have been happy to give this book 4 stars.

Overall, though, if you are interested in power generation and would like to be able to take part in pub arguments about the future of power generation, then this book does the job.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2015
The material in this book is incredibly useful for my course - I teach Technical English at a German University. But ... why, oh why is this edition American?
Paul ... what is this for? If you (or your publishers) say that it is to establish yourself better in the American market, this is based on the assumption that Americans cannot cope with English spellings. Or maybe it is not an assumption.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse