Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Dec 2009 17:20:46 GMT
G. Thomas says:
I love these cameras but just in case anyone else experiences this:
I bought 2 of these little beauties recently (1 for me, 1 as present) and oddly one of them just would not charge it's battery.
Every time I tried there was a flashing red light and a tone. The back panel said "check battery connection". I would unplug then try again. The same thing happened. So after a little research I found out 2 things:

1: try not to use a USB hub and plug directly into the powered USB ports on your PC even if it leaves the camera suspended upon high!

2: If previous one doesn't work then
(i) take out battery
(ii) plug camera into USB
(iii) when the camera says "connected" insert the battery
(iv) Use "safely remove hardware" function and detach camera from USB
(v) Re-insert camera into USB
(vi) Should now charge without trouble

Both these solutions seem to work and now charging is not a worry but I can't guarantee anything. (The second solution is direct from "Flip" themselves. I found the use of a "hub" was more of an issue for me but their solution worked too.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 19:56:37 GMT
J. Lewington says:
Join the club....many people who has bought this device has had problems.

Flip Video Ultra High Definition Camcorder With 8GB Memory - Black
Just google 'Flip video charging problems' to see *just* how many.

Oh and when from new it says says, "check battery pack...Charging paused".....You *know* when you've been tangoed!!

Posted on 11 Feb 2010 04:51:46 GMT
Jan Brand says:
Mine is doing the same thing, except nothing i do will fix it..i've tried all the steps everyone has suggested but still nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2010 10:42:21 GMT
J. Lewington says:
Yes, so are a lot of other people.

And no doubt you, like everyone else has contacted Flip video support only to find a computer automated system reply......<Simon 4354> etc etc.

It really is time the products were *officially recalled* The complaints now are too numerous. If you read the web even those that flip has supposedly repaired have still come back in the same condition. As for mine, maybe it will work for about three minutes at the most - that is when it will stay on at all.

Another waste of money in todays consumer market it appears. Try telephoning Consumer direct. They may be able to help further.

It also might help buying external rechargeable batteries and charger - because no way (even with a *brand new* battery, will these units recharge from the high speed USB2 port without saying 'check battery pack' etc etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2010 21:14:24 GMT
Hessian Bag says:
I have tried both your suggestions with no success.

Flip's customer service is very poor. They seem to avoid answering questions.

My attempts to contact Flip via email, Live Chat, or the telephone support line have all failed to get an answer. If you contact via Live Chat, they suggest you phone. When you phone, they suggest you email!!! So they keep you moving without ever giving a proper answer to any question.

I have suggested they send a replacement battery pack, but not received a reply.

Not sure what to do next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given that the after-sales care is so poor I cannot recommend the Flip to anyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2010 01:44:56 GMT
J. Lewington says:
I think you will find the 'live chat' you mention is actually an automated system programmed to recognise standard flip video customer questions, sentences and phrases.

I agree with you - I wouldn't recommend buying a rechargeable flip video to anyone else either....especially as I have since discovered it only comes with a very limited warranty anyhow.

What is worse, it's now weakened the USB port on my new PC through dangling away for hours on end trying to recharge the battery - with a mirror underneath because the screen faces the floor when charging.

Buying rechargeable external batteries and charger will help though unless yours too 'beep beeps' off the moment you try to power it up.

This is another problem, but you might like to try removing the flip program entirely from your PC and try downloading and re-installing it again from the Flip website.

Sometimes this fixes the problem - sometimes not. Its the luck of the draw depending on the fault you are currently experiencing.

You didn't say??

BTW, just out of interest, what is the total amount of trouble free recording time you have had out of this video so far?

Posted on 15 Apr 2010 23:29:20 BDT
Sile says:
This was posted on another thread here at Amazon UK in relation to these cameras:

"I am the marketing manager from Flip in the UK -please email me -I will resolve your issue. We are passionate about ensuring all our Flip customers have an enjoyable experience using their Flip video camera's

Ed Farquhar "

Why not contact him and see if you get any joy?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2010 18:10:15 BDT
U. Laing says:
hi, i am new to all this. all i would like to know if there is a way of transferring a video on to a cd for playing on the dvc recorder. thanks in advance, mrs. laing

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2010 18:30:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2010 18:32:22 BDT
K. Wiser says:
Option 2 has worked for me! Thank you v. much!

Option 2.....

2: If previous one doesn't work then
(i) take out battery
(ii) plug camera into USB
(iii) when the camera says "connected" insert the battery
(iv) Use "safely remove hardware" function and detach camera from USB
(v) Re-insert camera into USB
(vi) Should now charge without trouble

Posted on 30 May 2010 19:41:12 BDT
C. WINTERS says:
Flip Video Battery Pack

Posted on 18 Jun 2010 09:54:57 BDT
mabirch says:
I have 3 of these Flip Ultra HD's, 6 Flip Mino's and 2 Kodak Zi8's. (used in a school). We have had the ordinary Flip Minos and used them successfully for months. They are light, easy to use and simple to download, both to PC and Mac.
However, I have had serious problems trying to charge the Flip Ultra HD's (at the same USB port that I successfully charge the Flip Minos). Sometimes the cameras will not charge, sometimes I get an error message and they always get very hot. I am sending them back for replacement but at glance on the internet will tell you that there is an endemic problem with the batteries in these units. If I have to buy any more small HD cameras it will be Kodak Zi8's, otherwise I will stick to the non-HD models.

Posted on 29 Jun 2010 10:32:20 BDT
Kat says:
I have this problem too "check battery pack...Charging paused".....
I have had the live chat, email & telephone calls to rectify this, eventually they said to send it back but to Czech Republic at my own expense & they, as a gesture if goodwill, would send me a refurbished flip.
This is appalling customer service, I have only used my flip until the battery ran out for the first time (approx 2 weeks) & then it wouldnt charge, to be offered a refurbished product under these circumstances is digraceful.
I certainly would not recomend this product.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 09:25:10 BDT
Fishman says:
Why are you dealing directly with Flip? You didn't buy it from them. If it is within warranty then you should be dealing with whoever you bought it from, it is the sellers responsibility to rectify a warranty problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 10:35:34 BDT
J. Lewington says:
Perhaps because this isn't just a one off?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2010 14:01:07 BDT
K. J. Murphy says:
dont bother emailing via above address as its been closed so bounces straight back !!! typical !!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2010 14:14:00 BDT
J. Lewington says:
Try this link instead -

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2010 11:19:35 BDT
I just noticed the email address above is listed as, but the name given is Ed Farquhar, so maybe the address should be (with the r of farquhar that was missing from the given one). There's also the d missing from ed but that is probably correct, worth a try adding that as well though if you still get a bounceback from the address I've suggested. Note: I own the Flip Ultra HD, the battery charges fine for me, so I won't be emailing him myself, I'm just trying to be helpful to people who are having the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2010 12:41:11 BDT
Paul Dennis says:
You have to be joking right? Ed Farquhar - you don't see the joke? Am bit like Martha Farquhar - As if a flip distributor would have a cisco email address?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2010 13:04:21 BDT
Search for his name on YouTube, there is a video of him. Plus, Cisco own Flip now, they bought the company last year -

Posted on 16 Sep 2010 13:38:49 BDT
Paul Dennis says:
Wow would you Farquhar-ing believe it, he's real! He's down as the UK marketing manager though, so why he would be getting involved in support I don't know. Looking on Google there's a lot of Farquhar's out there...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2010 14:26:07 BDT
Thank you! I think solution #1 has worked.

Posted on 12 Nov 2010 11:37:43 GMT
Amanda Brown says:
Have been agonising between the Flip Ultra HD, the Flip Ultra or another brand altogether. I just want something simple to take vids of my baby and then to burn onto disc to keep. We're not a terribly high tech family! There seem to be so many problems with the Ultra HD that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Anyone want to help?!

Posted on 15 May 2011 21:23:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2011 21:28:12 BDT
Blueshark says:
Yes, solution above has worked for me too so thanks for posting it, but will we need to do this at every charge, and more importantly, why should we. I purchased from Amazon, it is 10 months old and I will be asking for a replacement or taking things further.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2011 21:29:37 BDT
Mine works perfectly so perhaps it is faulty and like you say worth asking for a replacement. Unless you're charging via a hub rather thqn directly into a usb port on your computer because that could cause problems. If you decide to get a replacement make sure you do it as soon as possible because Cisco are discontinuing the Flip brand so the will stop producing them soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  21 Dec 2009
Latest post:  15 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions