on 8 January 2005
this book is absolutely fantastic
full of eyeopening useful information and explains so much
this info should be available on a much wider scale
i suffered for years with these symptoms beating my self up and feeling a failure
i just wish my doctor knew about this, then i would have made my recovery so much sooner
on 3 March 2008
This book offers ground breaking advice for dealing with depression. Kathleen Des Maisons talks us through the background of the brain chemistry which sets us up for depression. She then thoroughly explains her 7 step eating plan, designed to heal the underlying causes of depression, food cravings and weight gain. The book is well written, and contains many testimonials from people doing the programme in the UK and Europe. The food programme is inexpensive and all natural, and there is online support through the radiantrecovery website.

If you have tried everything else to no avail, you will be pleasantly surprised that this may well be the last book you ever need concerning this issue. What a relief to stop searching and finally find the answers we need.

If you are ready to join the growing number of people who are experiencing freedom from depression, this book will help you achieve that goal.
on 25 January 2008
My bookshelf was groaning with self help books, I'd read them all. I'd stopped drinking alcohol & had been in therapy for over two years. So why did I still feel depressed, a failure, less than?

Reading the 1999 version of 'Potatoes not Prozac' was like coming home. 'This woman knows me' I thought! It was unbelievable to read of my feelings & behaviours on every page, & none of it was my fault.

Dr des Maisons explains the biochemistry of sugar sensitivity in accessible terms. She outlines a framework of six simple steps to recovery. Immediately there is a message of hope, & better still it works!

Two years since I discovered this book, the new edition has a lot to add. Fully updated to include all the pertinent research breakthroughs of the past ten years, it incorporates the lived experience of thousands of people like me whose lives have been transformed.

Dr des Maisons is in a class of her own when it comes to self help gurus. She has no agenda, just a wealth of experience in the field of addictive nutrition, & a gift for communicating what she knows effectively & lovingly.

Where else do you find an invitation to an online community at the back of a book? I checked it out to discover a hugely vibrant resource offering all the support & encouragement anyone could want. This is a lifes work not a rip off or a well intentioned dabbling in plagiarised wishful thinking. As I said I have all the other books too!

As for me? My life is unrecognisable from two years ago. I had been waiting to die, trapped & full of shame at my patheticness & lack of willpower. Within six months I had left depression behind, & now I have friends, a job, a life.

There is a way out! I hope you can join me.
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2001
After reading Potatoes not Prozac I feel as if I have gained answers to questions I dared not ask. If, like me you are constantly tempted by sweet or starchy foods or are prone to binging you too could be sugar sensitive. Don't be put off by the title - this book is extremely informative while not trying to force certain diet regimes onto you. It simply gives you the facts and a guide of how to change your eating habits accordingly.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2008
I read Kathleen Des Maisons first edition of PnP two years ago when I was looking for help with lethargy and mild depression. The book had been given to me by a friend some time before and I had sighed and added it to my already groaning bookshelves full of self help tomes.

I had also just been diagnosed with reactive psoriasis on my hands, feet, knees and elbows and told by two different consultants that diet alone could not help and cortisone creams were the only way forward. An alternative practitioner suggested that candida related problems were often at the root of psoriasis so, looking for a way to get my sweet tooth under control I picked up the book again.

I felt a bit daunted when I realized that eliminating sugar might be necessary but the first chapters of the book were describing my life so I began the first step out of desperation and with rather a lot of scepticism.

After only a couple of weeks on the first steps of the program I found I was sleeping through the night for the first time in about twelve years and much to my astonishment the psoriasis on my feet and knees began to clear. Although my hands were still very cracked the fissures were nowhere near as deep and no longer bleeding and my elbows also improved.

The science in this new edition hasn't fundamentally changed but Dr. Des Maisons has developed her self help program and her website and uses a lot of her ever expanding experience to make this new work even easier to follow and read.

Two years down the line my hands are also clear and any small sign of soreness usually means I have slipped a bit on the program. I find it surprisingly easy to follow and the cumulative effect of feeling so much better and losing my desire to binge on sugary foods has kept me on track.

As an added bonus I am clearer headed and more energetic at 58 than I was at 28 !
44 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2008
this is the best book and the very best advice you will ever read if you are struggling to lose weight and even worse struggling to face the day, follow every step and you will never look back. This book saved my life!
on 5 January 2011
Changed my life.. no depression.. good skin.. more energy & high Self esteem.. HAPPINESS... lost weight without trying AND im eating more then i normally do!!
BUY IT! See for yourself!!
Also makes me want to be sober more when I "do the food" keeps my alcholic cravings in check as well as my sugar ones!!! GENIUS!!!
on 10 January 2011
I picked up this book and on the cover it said "This book will change your life." Where had I heard that one before? I began to read it, usually whilst in bed eating biscuits. I found it completely absorbing, I had never come across anything like it. My terrible addiction to chocolate and sugary food all started to make sense. I started on the steps and I was able to eventually eat healthily and give up sugar. My emotional state was completley changed and I lost two stone in weight without really trying. Although it hasn't all been plain sailing five years later I am still able to eat food that is right for my body. If you have an addiction to sugary food i would recommend this book.
on 3 January 2013
I bought a previous edition in 2007 and it has simply changed my life. I had previously had recurrent depression, was aware that I was 'eating the wrong things', but felt powerless to stop. The program in this book is so much more than a diet. It reconnects your body and mind to enable you to find what works for your own body. Dr Desmaisons has researched the science behind sugar addiction and is telling us the things that the big food companies won't.
In addition to the information in the book there are links to an online community which I have found extremely helpful. And it is free.
In short, before the book I was depressed, yo-yo dieting and couldn't handle stress. Now I feel happy and notice the joys in my life, I have more resilience, I am no longer 'tired all the time', my weight is stable and I have even taken up running!!!!
So try the test in the book for Sugar Sensitivity and if that is you then this is definitely the book that could change your life too. If you are looking for a quick fix or just another diet book then don't bother.
on 16 March 2000
I bought this book because I suffered from chronic tiredness at different times of the day and it was becoming a real problem. I just couldn't function by early afternoon. After following the seven steps in this interesting book, I healed myself of the highs and lows in my blood sugar level and found vitality again. It has made a real difference to me.