Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2011 18:18:08 BDT
Mr. J. Darby says:
I'm buying this as a body only, as I would like to purchase a 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens and a portrait prime lens.

I'm torn between the 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM and the 50mm f/1.4 USM, both by Canon. Which would you recommend?

Do the extra two f-stops of the 50mm make a huge difference, or could a flash eliminate any real advantage? I don't plan on using the macro function often, but I may use it occasionally. I'm more interested in portrait photography. It annoys me that the USM in the f/1.4 isn't ring type. Is the 60mm too sharp to be used for a portrait lens? When does the f/1.4 stop being soft, and sharpen up (i.e. f/1.8?)?

As you can see, I'm very divided and have lots of questions, an answer to any would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2011 10:34:00 BDT
S. Hundeyin says:
50mm 1.4... it also has good resale if you find you dont fancy it

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 06:47:15 BDT
I have the 50mm 1.4 and rate this very high. The focus is fast and accurate. It is worth every penny.

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 20:56:55 GMT
An Eclectic says:
I have the f1.4. I really like it - way better than the f1.8 and not 1000+ like the f1.2 L
I also use the 100mm macro for portraits but a soft focus filter might be nice as it can be brutally sharp and my lady wife didn't like every little blemish being on show
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xadd1d8e8)

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  23 Apr 2011
Latest post:  8 Dec 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) by Canon
4.7 out of 5 stars   (101)