on 24 January 2011
As a Sikh moderate, I am often overcome with a sense of embarrassment and self-consciousness when I am engaged in half-English/half-Punjabi conversations relating to Sikhism. More often than not, terms are thrown about which one may not always understand if he/she has not had much exposure to either the language or the domain in which these terms are often coined. I found this book to be an effective way to plug some of the gaping holes in my vocabulary so that I can communicate more easily. I admit that even having absorbed most of what this book has to offer, I am barely any closer in becoming fluent in Punjabi/Gurmukhi, however I do have a lot more confidence when I find myself partaking in discussions or listening to what people have to say about popular topics and issues relating to Sikhism.

It is not a comprehensive book by any means but it certainly has some value. If you really want to become a highly effective communicator, you should look to go far beyond the limitations of this book as it is not a quick fix. Studying the language is the real answer.

I am happy that I bought this book though.