1,198
Poetic Slimline Case with Auto Wake and Sleep Function for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Generation 2013 Android Tablet - Lavender
Size: For Google Nexus 7 (2nd Gen 2013)Colour Name: LavenderChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 December 2012
This case is truly awesome.

The good:
1) The "leather" on it feels and looks
2) The fit is perfect
3) The inside of the flap has a really nice soft touch feel to it.
4) The magnetic strip and the wake up/sleep function that works with it feels perfect - really solid, secure and has a firm reassuring snap to it when it closes.
5) I like how the entire screen bezel is unobscured in use
6) It doesn't add much in the way of weight or bulk to the Nexus 7

The bad:
1) As a stand, its not brilliant. It absolutely works, but offers two positions really and it needs a really flat stable surface ideally.
2) The power/volume buttons are a little more difficult to reach (very minor)
3) The "leather" has started to peel a little bit after 3 months (although I'm less than careful with my tablet and regularly throw it onto the couch or out it into my rucksack with keys etc)

Conclusion:
Would I buy this again? Yes.
Would I recommend? Yes.
on 2 January 2014
I originally bought the genuine Asus case with the 2013 Nexus 7, as i assumed it would be the best and most functional.
Initially was pleased, with the fit, the feel and the slimness.
However, it soon became apparent there were two things lacking that were so important it made me decide to return the case and look for an alternative.
The two points were the tablet wouldn't auto on or off, and the case wouldn't stand in landscape for any length of time.
After some research it turned out the best fix for both of these were to have a case with magnets.
I watched some youtube videos and then cross checked with amazon, and chose this case.
Initial thoughts are (and for nearly a third of the price) this case is exactly what i wanted.
Bonus features are that the case doesn't flop open, and the access to the volume makes it easier, albeit leaving the controls exposed.
I saw a couple of negatives, ie the magnet interferes with the compass for maps (i only use wifi) and the leather effect peels after time (shall see)
but overall - very pleased.
on 13 May 2013
If you look through the reviews you'll see that they have been mixed together - some are for the Nexus 7 case and some are for the Nexus 10 case. I wish I'd noticed this before I ordered. :(

I bought the Nexus 10 version and it doesn't fit. Three of the corners go in nice and snugly, but the fourth just won't click into place. I've pressed it as hard as I dare, but all I've succeeded in doing is to scratch the corner of my tablet!

Looking at the reviews, it seems to be quite a common problem. To me it looks like felt lining stops the tablet from sitting in as snugly as it should.

Returned for a refund - I won't risk a replacement as I suspect it may well have the same problem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 January 2013
In this video I show you the disappointing experience with the Poetic slimline case. Bought from Poetic UK, on Amazon UK, this product comes actually from the states. When I tried to use it, I found out that the case is faulty, it does not work as a case due to a complete misalignment of the front and back, leaving gaps for pocket fluff, dust etc... to enter. Also, it would soon completely fail as the material would get damaged by normal use. This is obviously a quality control problem and any buyer would risk receiving a similarly badly produced example. Add the fact that this is made from really cheap and nasty feeling plastic and that the buttons will become difficult to reach and you are better off staying clear of this product. That is my opinion, but look at the video to form your own, maybe you think I'm too fussy :-).
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 July 2014
I will be honest here. I did receive it on time, even earlier than expected but what you see in the pictures is not what you get. You till most probably get a replica of that and it doesn't look very professionally built. First things first. It only has two magnets instead of three and are positioned differently.

The case doesn't feel sturdy as reviewed by others on various websites. It does come in a Poetic box but I was expecting more from it. It is true, you get what you pay for, but for this price I was expecting a proper Poetic case that looks and feels as described by the seller.

Don't get me wrong, it is not bad at all, but I am disappointed because it's not what I bought. I still don't understand something: Why, as a seller, would you put some pictures of a specific product and actually sell something different? Why not put some pictures with the actual product you are selling.

I honestly would have still bought this case for this price if it had pictures with the real thing and I wouldn't have been angry and disappointed now. I would have been happier for receiving what I paid for.

All in all it is a good case and the magnets work fine (even though the middle one does not exist and the bottom one is not perfectly fit in the plastic, bear in mind "perfectly", I am being picky, No it won't come off, both are glued well), the tablet fits perfectly, seems a very very little loose (I'm being too picky), but other than that it is worth more than the price, it is perfectly shaped, all the gaps for buttons and the microphone and the speakers are inch perfect shape and it stays closed, it opens well. One more thing... it can be used as a stand in both positions but it will only stay if you watch something, if you try to touch your tablet harder or play a game on it, it certainly will not be possible, it will fall.

Thanks very much for reading. I hope it helps both the seller and the other potential buyers.
I appreciate honesty and hate liars who attract buyers by using misleading images or descriptions.

My rating would be:
- Half a star for the seller.
- 4.5 stars for the product. It is a really good product with some extremely tiny little non bothering issues.
on 20 May 2013
Review on Receipt:

I ordered the Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 10 Navy Blue (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function)(3 Year Warranty by Poetic) yesterday. The order was delivered today - about 15 minutes back.

I was excited to receive this because I use my Nexus 10 a lot and I want/ need a cover that will provide a modicum of protection for it.

Packaging was bare. No instructions were included (though, I should add, one should not be expecting instructions for such a simple product).

Immediately, however, I ran into a problem: I cannot fit my Nexus 10 into the case. Even after trying - at some risk of damaging the edges of my tablet - the case would not fit. I also noticed that some of the edges are frayed and one case see little bits of threat escaping from the bottom side and from the edges.

I am, to say the least, very disappointed. Perhaps I should have gone ahead with my original plan and bought the office Nexus 10 cover that Google offers (at an outrageous price!) on the Google Play store.

The Poetic Case comes with a 3-year warranty. I have emailed them via their website (they offer an online form to fill in with your message) complaining about my experience and I am waiting for them to get back. I hope they are able to resolve the situation for me by either (1) replacing the existing case with one that actually fits and works as advertised or (2) by refunding me.

To prospective buyers my advice would be to be careful about this product. In theory, it should (and looks good), but as others have mentioned, there is a yawning gap between theory and execution. The principal problems are (1) the case does not fit; (2) the finish is not very good.

One last point: When I ordered the product, the price was GBP 9.95, which I thought was very reasonable. Today when I came to the Amazon (UK) site, the price had gone up to GBP 12.95!!!! I wonder why???

Review After 24 hours

Having posted the review above, I emailed the company. I am happy to report that they got back to me asking for photographs of the problem and the order number.

Before I sent them the information requested, I tried - with some trepidation - to fit the tablet (Nexus 10) into the case again. My concern was that I would somehow damage the tablet. This time I tried to fit the tablet in by holding it and the case in the portrait orientation. I put the power and volume button side in first (to avoid damaging the same). This time with a little bit of effort, the tablet snapped in! Having once snapped into place, I found that the case worked well. Aside from the minor finishing issues (mentioned in the initial review), the fit was close to perfect. The auto-sleep function works well and the whole ensemble works fine - though it does (and understandably so) make it a bit heavy. I am glad the case finally fit, but I remain a bit disconcerted about my struggle to fit the tablet in. Is there anything I would want different? Yes! I would prefer the case to be made of plastic. This would, I think get rid of much of the fitting and finish issues. One other thing I would like to see is the inner felt-like material (which lines the flap) be of a darker material (optimally, it should be the same colour as that of the body of the case). This would help in masking any stains that the material will inevitably pick up during sustained usage.

One point to note: One of the reasons why I think the tablet eventually worked itself in was because when I was wrestling with the case when I got it, I did contort the case quite a bit as a result of which it must have got stretched. While in my case it worked, you should be aware that this may damage the case, which will pose problems if you eventually end up returning it.

In light of this, I am now revising my assessment from the 1 star that I gave it in the first instance to 3 stars. I should also add that I am ordering another unit for my partner's Nexus 10.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 April 2013
It is nice & slim, Nexus 7 held firmly, magnets hold closed well, cut outs nicely placed, bit deep for On/Off & volume but can still use OK. Feels pretty good in the hand and folds flat when holding. 4 stars so far.

But I want to be able to use as a stand in most situations, either quite upright or lower level for typing etc.
Not sure either is very good.
Upright - I know fairly new & might bed in a bit more but it will not stay upright, just unfolds & falls backwards. I suspect no matter how well bedded in it will be likely to fall or fold without much effort.
Also if it did stay in position it is a bit too upright anyway in this position, can't really work on screen, certainly not comfortable to tap, type or view.

On the lower setting, is is quite a good angle but because it is now upside down the on/off button in underneath so it if sleeps (which happens all the time) you have to lift the nexus up to get at the button & this is where the slightly deep recess make it even more annoying as not a quick press, can take a couple of seconds to push in enough.
This latter problem is not really the cases fault, this simple design I guess can only work it the Nexus is inverted and only being able to wake the Nexus this way can't be helped. Not keen on shake or proximity wake apps etc.

Anyway gone back to my previous case with the groves that allow two secure angles, Does not hold it as securely, a bit bulky but even with these deficiencies is better for my type of use.
on 25 September 2012
I pre-ordered this product and received an e-mail stating that the first version had a defect, and so the release date would be pushed back.

On the new release date, I received an e-mail stating that my case had shipped (woohoo!) and that a fault was identified which meant that the cover could not hold itself shut. This meant that Poetic would be fixing this defect and that they would send me the fixed version free of charge once it was ready.

I have been using this product since then - it does the job, looks nice, and although it can be a little clunky to get at the power / volume buttons, I've had no major issue APART form the fact that it is incapable of holding itself closed.

I have now received the 'fixed' version of this case and lo and behold, the exact same issue exists. It actually seems a little worse, and is more prone to getting 'stuck' open if you use the folding front cover to create a stand for your Nexus. I will probably be switching back to the first version because at least that didn't get stuck open quite so much.

This IS a good product - it looks good, fits perfectly, and has taken every little bump and scrap without fuss. However, the fact that the magnetic closing lid is basically useless (although the 'open-to-wake' functionality does work well) because this thing will open at the slightest hint of a gravitational pull.

I wish I could give this case more stars - but if you can't rely on it staying closed until YOU open it, then you can't really rely on it to protect your Nexus screen. If you use this case, it probably helps to keep your tablet in a bag with some other stuff to make sure the cover doesn't fall open as you travel.

I can't fault Poetic for their customer service - they've kept me updated every step of the way and getting two covers for the price of one is a good deal in anyone's book - it's just a shame that the problem they aimed to fix with the second release still exists, and actually seems to have gotten worse!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sometimes you can agonise over a purchase decision, only to find that you've been wasting your life. This is one of those occasions. Having scoured the internet looking for Nexus 7 cases, and finding quite a lot that looked frankly a bit annoying, despite some questionable feedback about the Poetic case it looked like the best bet. A slim case which holds the tablet securely, leaves access open to all ports and switches, and basically protects the device without getting in the way. It also works as a stand, to a limited extent. Many other cases mess about with tedious closures (elasticated straps, for instance) and innovative ways to hold your tablet (re-usable sticky strips - why?). This one simply fits properly and securely by hugging the Nexus's shape perfectly and using magnets to keep it closed. It has a magnet to turn on and off the device when you open and close the cover, which is simple and, ultimately, provided more by the Nexus designers than the case designers - but whoever is to thank for this small innovation, it's brilliant.

There have been some complaints about durability of the case: all I can say is, mine looks like it will survive well and has been buried in bags a bit already with no scrapes I can notice. There is a bit of crackling from the hinge, but it's not disturbing and does not appear to be symptomatic of a weakness. The foldable front cover which folds into a simple stand doesn't provide much of an angle but is better than using the tablet flat on a table. To be honest, I find myself hand-holding the tablet much of the time anyway. All in all, I think I've benefited from the faults other people have found in the first two production runs - and full marks to Poetic for fixing them for this third version.

It's a good case. Don't agonise. Buy it.
on 6 November 2012
Loved this case at first. Thought it was just as good as the slick iPad cases. Worked perfectly and turned the Nexus on and off as it opened and closed. Wonderful. Until... I realised that the magnets in the case completely screwed up the magnetic compass of the device. With the case in place, my compass app doesn't work. Google maps doesn't know what direction the device is pointing and Google Star Maps is all over the place. Unfortunately I threw away all the packaging when I thought it was ok, otherwise I'd be asking for my £20 back.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...