TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 August 2012
This is my first venture into the Disney Blu-ray world and I can't get over just how beautiful it was. The question that I think a lot of people will have is: Why bother?

Pocahontas is the story of a headstrong daughter of a chief and her relationship with the English settler Captain John Smith and his crew. Two worlds completely set apart with very little in common essentially collide where Pocahontas fights for the peace and the preservation of nature that Smith's crew threaten to destroy in an effort to find Gold.

It's a story many of us already know so investing in the Blu-ray version may seem pretty pointless but I can assure you that this movie had me captivated more so than it ever has before simply because of how beautiful it was. The colouring, detailing and textures that you can now make out are so superior to the originals that I have seen. I can honestly say that before this I didn't think that Blu-ray could possibly improve on a Disney film that is relatively old and drawn - it really surpassed my expectations. I only hope the next set of Blu-ray Disney movies released look as spectacular.

There are some special features which look into the making of the original movie and music and when you watch these you can see and hear what a change has been made. I was very grateful for these particular features actually because they showed the difference so well so I recommend giving those a watch too. Speaking of special features, there are also a few deleted scenes and a deleted song "If I never knew you" which is surprisingly good".

I can't recommend this version enough, even if you have the original. If I could give this more stars I would - perfect for all ages and Disney fans.
on 6 November 2007
Ever since I first saw Pocahontas when it first came out, I knew that Disney were onto a winner. Yes,I admit it's not historically accurate but it's only a Disney film designed for a bit of fun! The songs however,are the making of this film with highlights including the beautiful 'Colours of the Wind' and the very catchy 'Just around the River Bend'. If you have young children (or you just fancy a enjoyable watch yourself!), this film is a must buy. A lot of animated films may date with time but Pocahontas certainly won't! Top stuff.
on 30 May 2012
I was always iffy about buying this one; as a child I loved it - until learning the truth about the story with Pocahontas being a very young girl, and it just kind of creeped me out to go back and watch. But I found this for an incredible price so added it to my collection -
The picture quality is great - this film has always had use of dynamic angles and colours, which lends itself to a very polished and beautiful look, almost working as a 90 minute screensaver at times.
The story - is pretty standard "man is evil against what it does not understand" but is passable with only a few dud moments (such as occasions painting the villains to be evil when if you do put thought into the circumstances, the villains are actually just defending themselves against the heroes who attack first)
The voice acting - is pretty hit and miss, with Pocahontas feeling like a real character, as with the villain and a few other characters, however Mel Gibson and Billy Connolly's very distinct voices can prove distracting and unimmersive at times.
The sound - incredibly crisp and clear, not much else can say really
Extras - this is where it surpasses the other Disney release this year Tarzan, as there is a pretty reasonable bulk of extras here ranging from music videos, items from the dvd, and a couple of new original documentaries.
Overall this is a fine addition to your collection - if you're a Pocahontas fan, you'll love the treatment it has received, and if you just collect Disney's you could do far worse than this.
on 18 December 2013
This is a great movie on every level. It appeals to kids, it appeals to adults and it also appeals to anyone who loves musicals with great songs.

But first: who Amazon's 'in-house' reviewer Tom Keogh is...I have no idea (his review is the one that you read just under the product details). His sarcastic, nasty & sour review of this movie is a disgrace. My advice is to you (the reader) is:...don't pay any heed to his twisted & bitter little review of this good Movie. Use you're own judgment...and see how far off the mark he is.

Back to the film: the story is universal - boy meets girl from the wrong tribe (shades of West Side Story) to the disapproval of their elders & peers etc. But they continue seeing each other and this eventually leads to confrontation. There are also serious anti-war messages woven through the fabric of this film, and they are put across through the songs and the action.

But apart from the flawless animation, it's the music that really 'grabs' you from the get go: from the opening drums in the first main song 'Hega Hega ya-hi-ye Hega' - to the splendid 'Just around the river bend' - to the absolute show-stopping ensemble piece 'Mine, Mine, Mine' sung by Governor Radcliffe and the cast, - and also the evocative 'Colours of the Wind'.

Why Disney Corp. haven't turned this movie into a full blown stage musical like they did with the Lion King...is beyond me. It's a no-brainer. Great story - great songs - great setting, what more do you want?

I cannot recommend this movie highly enough. If you are an adult, don't let the fact that it's a animated movie put you off, it's a great film.

Sit back and enjoy!

All the best!
on 13 May 2014
I watched The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin as a child/teenager but by the time Pocahontas came out I was 15 so of course wanted to watch "15" films because I could. My 3 year old is really into Disney DVDs now and I am enjoying being able to watch them at home and this was the latest one we bought. It is fantastic and I can't believe it has taken me this long to get round to watching it. My daughter really enjoys it; the music is fantastic and the character of Pocahontas is likable, interesting and a good role model. It is different to the "usual princesses" in castles and shows a different country/culture/history and way of life. I personally love it and much prefer to be watching this than Bugs Life (again). It is also in Spanish which is handy as my daughter speaks Spanish as well as English.
on 7 March 2005
This is truly a Disney classic. With a wonderful story, breathtaking scenery and inspiring music, Pocahontas is a film I think everybody can enjoy. Based on the true story of Pocahontas, the film tells us of the sruggles faced by the Powatan Indians when their native land is invaded by English soldiers. Matters become more complicated when Pocahontas falls in love with Captain John Smith. What follows is an uplifting story of courage, bravery and acceptance. I think this film has some of the most wonderful settings ever seen in the cinema and this 2 disc DVD has some great extras. The Acadamy Award winning music, characters and story compliment eachother so well, I can't praise this film enough.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2006
I really enjoyed this production from Walt Disney. It is unique for Walt Disney in that the animation is based on a real person and story. The love that Pocahontas and John Smith have for each other is enough to bridge their different cultures.

The animation and the musical composition are of a very high calibre, with the 'Colours of the Wind' song being especially stirring. I also like 'If I never knew you' which, is a restored song in this Special Edition dvd. Furthermore, the voice acting is commendable throughout. The lovely Irene Bedard provides the voice talent for Pocahontas and big name actor Mel Gibson voices John Smith.

The movie is also especially funny in places with the animal characters of Meeko, Flit & Percy providing much of the humour. Wiggins is an interesting side character also worthy of note.

The movie ending is particularly powerful with Pocahontas casting herself over the prostrate John Smith to prevent her father from felling the love of her life. This dvd is crammed with special features that enhance your enjoyment of the main movie: an audio commentary, a veritable library of still images and fascinating featurettes amongst other things.

To conclude, a refreshing, uplifting animation that is enjoyable for all age ranges and a visual rendition that merits maximum marks.
on 5 May 2004
Pocahontas is a sweeping spectacle of a film, which desreves greater recognition than it has recieved thus far. Inevitably, coming hot off the heels of The Lion King, Pocahontas was never going to match its success, but that doesnt make it any less enjoyable.
It is the first Disney animated feature to be based on historical events, and perhaps this shines through as the film is perhaps more serious than other Disney fare.
The stroy deals with Captain John Smith, who, along with a group of sailors heads to America in search of gold. However, whilst there he meets Pocahontas and the two characters are let into eachothers worlds. Things become complicated however, when Pocahontas' father and General Radcliffe (head of the mission to the 'New World') prepare to wage a war against each other due to their hatred and discriminations of the other's race. Naturally Pocahontas and John Smith fall in love, though the usual happy ending is traded in for something much more effective.
Comedy comes in the form of sidekick pals Meeko the meerkat and Flit the humming bird, and the magical element of the movie is portrayed in the form of Grandmother Willow, the advice-giving tree.
Accompanied with rich animation, beautiful music and real heart, this is an essential buy for any Disney fan.
on 19 November 2015
As a part of my on-going crusade to bring the last generations films to the new generation, I purchased this item.

The kids weren't overly keen on this one which is a shame because of the strong female lead. On the other hand, the adults got to re-live some old memories with this one.
on 27 February 2014
For my smallest niece who loves it and wants to visit Jamestown which if you haven't been to is well worth a visit. Nearby Colonial Williamsburg is a great place to take kids too. Pocahontas is such a great role model for girls - bright, adventurous and of course beautiful.