Customer Discussions > The White Queen forum

Please can someone recommend a great historical novel to get my teeth into...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Sep 2009 10:42:58 BDT
Karon. says:
I've just read The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory and loved it. I'm now searching for something else so any recommendations would be great. (I've read nearly everything by Alison Weir, also excellent.) Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 08:11:00 BDT
whizzi1 says:
You could try the Sharon Penman novels - she does a great Wars of the Roses series, plus earlier periods too. As many have said before, her York novel The Sunne in Splendour is fab. Enjoy!
PS - Ken Follett's books are also interesting

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 16:54:15 BDT
Karon. says:
Thank you so much I will try all of them. Its great finding a new author that you enjoy.

Posted on 9 Jan 2010 22:33:53 GMT
Try Elizabeth Chadwick's The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal and the follow up The Scarlet Lion its has history from Henry II and Eleanor, Richard !, King John, it has romance and they are first class. I actually cried at the end of the last book - every lady would want William Marshall for their protector/lover/husband,father to their children. Whata marvellours man he truly was.

Posted on 9 Jan 2010 22:39:09 GMT
Like Whizz1 above, Sharon Penman's The Sunne in Splendour is excellent and she takes a sympathetic slant to Richard III which is a refreshing change from the usual hump-backed murderer of his nephews. Did he really do it? This novel may make you change your opinion of Richard. An excellent book.

Posted on 9 Jan 2010 22:43:50 GMT
Karen

Also try Deryn Lake's The King's Women all about the French court, Joan of Arc during Henry V's invasion of Agincourt. Not all about the battle mostly the intrigues and romances, political backstabbings etc.

Posted on 1 Jul 2010 18:06:23 BDT
Skeadugenga says:
If you want great historical novels then The Game of Kings (Legendary Lymond Chronicles) gets my vote. I'm a history nut and of all the historical novels I've read over 40 years, these are the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2010 19:46:07 BDT
The Sunne in Splendour is brilliant. Gives a completely different interpretation of Richard III, superb.

Posted on 30 Jul 2010 17:28:42 BDT
Mazann says:
Jean Plaidy is a brilliant writer of historical fiction. Murder most royal is my favourite but anything of hers is great!

Posted on 14 Aug 2010 10:21:50 BDT
Android says:
Anything by Sharon Penman, in a class of her own

Posted on 14 Aug 2010 10:40:25 BDT
Have to agree about Sharon Penman, superb writer and attention to detail first class

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2011 23:23:02 BDT
Elizabeth says:
I agree, these are superb reads especially The Greatest Knight, he was indeed a truly great and courageous man, think I will start and read it again as its some time since and I do tend to rush my books and find when I reread them theres lots I have missed.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 01:01:56 BDT
Julie Burns says:
Try reading Anya Seton's 'Katherine' - the mistress then wife of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2011 19:08:07 GMT
maggie123 says:
The son in spendour is
an epic story of Edward vi and brother Richard 111- absolutely great - unputdownable !!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 23:25:07 GMT
Netturner says:
The other Boleyn girl is very good

Posted on 30 Apr 2013 08:18:35 BDT
catheybee says:
Try the Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory too. This was my first historical read and i couldn't put it down. Also, the Diana Gabaldon series are pretty good too!

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 16:39:36 BDT
BiggKitty says:
Try Within the Fetterlock by Brian Wainwright. it is a really good historical novel, unfortunately not yet on Kindle.

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 19:41:16 BDT
BiggKitty says:
Forgot to say, Within the Fetterlock carries on from Anya Seton's Katherine and is about Constance of York who is first cousin to Edward II and Edward IV.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2013 23:20:55 BDT
PatrickA says:
The best historical novel I have ever read,Julie. Anya Seton, although an American researched her subject so thoroughly that Katherine became real flesh andy blood to me. A real historical personage to be sure as the grandmother of Henry V11, I knew nothing of her story and the Love affair with John of Gaunt, so it was a revelation to me which sent me on a search for everything there was to know. Now I'm a lot wiser and richer for the knowledge, and all thanks to Anya Seton. Her other books, Dragonwyk, Devil Water etc are pretty much as good in their own way, and well worth reading. Patrick Aydon

Posted on 20 Nov 2013 22:19:02 GMT
Kate Quinn gets my vote every time! Her Rome series is absolutely wonderful. First one is called 'Mistress of Rome'.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The White Queen forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  20 Sep 2009
Latest post:  20 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The White Queen (Cousins' War)
The White Queen (Cousins' War) by Philippa Gregory (Audio CD - 18 Aug. 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (769)