Regarded by many as Jacques Tati s masterpiece, Playtime is a surreal, comic vision of mankind s battle against the overwhelming depersonalisation of modern life.
Tati stars as the hapless Hulot, who ambles through the massive metropolis specially constructed for the film one of the most ambitious and imaginative film sets ever to grace the screen. The film is a multi-layered symphony of sight and sound gags. Jokes unfold in various parts of the frame simultaneously and the soundtrack a meticulously composed cacophony of footsteps, gibberish, and lounge music only adds to the absurdity.
- Newly remastered to High Definition
- Dual Format Edition: includes both Blu-ray and the DVD versions of the main feature
- Feature commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
- Short Documentary Au-delà de Playtime (DVD only)
- Continuity supervisor Sylvette Baudrot on Tati and Playtime (DVD only)
- Director biography + short film about Tati (DVD only)
- Audio interview with Jacques Tati
- Original trailers for Les Vacances de M. Hulot, Mon Oncle and Playtime
- Includes extensive booklet with contextualising essays on the film and its director