Edition: Challenge|Change

on 27 November 2013
I've had the Playseat `Challenge' for a month; I use it with Forza 4. I was a bit sheepish about spending £180 (eBay) on what looked like a deck chair, but since it was the only thing offering something like a driving seat, with the easy storage of a steering wheel stand. All of the online reviews that I could find were good so I bought one.

On delivery it took less than 2 minutes set up, all the major parts are well made. Some of the small Velcro straps (used when folded for storage) are a bit flimsy as are some of the plastics around the footplate hinge. These were my initial reactions.

That's all the negative things I have to say, having spent 20 hours in the seat, I love it. Being able to change the driving position from fairly upright down to the F1 racing position is great, the seat is supportive and 2 hour stints haven't been a problem for me. It's also extremely stable, I have had no lateral movement at all, no matter how frantic the driving gets. Once folded, with your wheel and pedals still attached it is only 30cm deep and fits easily into a cupboard and it really does only take seconds to set up once you've got your wheel & pedals ready attached. It has well exceeded all my expectations, if you're thinking about it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I should say I still think it's a bit over priced for what it is, but in the context of the options available this is a safe purchase.
on 1 May 2014
Had this wheel a few days now and am very happy.

When looking around it was very important i was able to fold away and store easily as i play in the living room. This rig is perfect for that, it folds away easily with the wheel/pedals attached even smaller than i'd expected and is light and easy to move.

When the seat is brought out from behind the sofa it doesn't stop impressing, Build quality is excellent and the rig looks and feels great even for what is a low price in this market.

Setting up is nice and easy and i found the perfect seating position for myself no problem, the only slight drawback being that you cannot adjust the wheel position (only tilt) meaning that my seating position is determined by where i can reach the wheel best, If i wanted to adjust to a more F1 seating position the wheel would be out of reach.

Once you're into the rig it is surprisingly comfortable and stable. It may take a while to adjust all the straps to using trial and error to get it correct for your own taste. I found setting the front/leg strap quite loose and setting the back strap as tight as possible worked best for me.

Pros :
Price
Build Quality
Very stable
Easy set-up
Easy Fold away and storage
Generally Conformable

Cons :
Steering wheel position not adjustable
on 17 January 2016
This is the best thing you can buy to mount a steering wheel and pedals on if space is an issue its folds neatly with Velcro straps with wheels and pedals still attached (see pic).
Super easy set up ! Comes in three parts that slot together . It's fully adjustable I'm 6ft and could easily set it up for my 5 year old to have a go in seconds . I can have it sat upright like a standard road car position or down low F1 style . Some reviews have said its hard to find the right driving position but set the two Velcro arm rest straps is quick and easy and once set they won't change when folded away .
Additional Velcro straps are supplied to tie the wires neatly to the frame and so are hex screws to fix your wheel to the plate in the pre drilled holes.
Pedals will not move no matter how hard you accelerate or brake and are secured with another Velcro strap
The build quality is amazing .
This seat could also be used as a gaming chair as the wheel mount bar is removable.
Shifter mount is not included which is a shame but one can be bought additionally (I'm making my own custom mount )
All in all very happy there is nothing else like it and I saved money not buying a separate stand and chair which would of taken more room and less comfortable driving position.
review image review image
on 30 October 2013
I brought this for my husband for his birthday, and he said it's the best present he's ever had!
Folds away well.
on 11 April 2016
I'm writing this review at the point of returning my replacement order to Amazon for a refund.

The first that I received had an obvious manufacturing fault where the seat material was not attached to the frame inserts - see photo 1. The red tabs on the adjustable straps also fell off upon initial setup.

The replacement unit suffered from an incorrectly drilled mounting plate, resulting in the wheel not sitting quite flush as per photo 2. There was also some warping in the frame preventing the arm from locking in place without applying force - photo 3. And the red tabs came away in my hand again when setting up - see photo 4.

It's a real shame, as I badly wanted to like this product. The seat itself provides plenty of adjustment options and the fact that it collapses down so neatly is a real bonus for anyone short on storage space. But... with the quality issues I have experienced so far, I can't recommend this solution at all. If there had been no issues with quality, I would have probably rated the Challenge with 5 stars and be singing its praises right now - it is well designed, looks good and is quite comfortable for long sessions of play. But the truth is, when paired with the excellent Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel (PS4, PS3) UK-Plug, it looks and feels a little bit cheap. But it isn't cheap, so buyer beware.

I'll update my review if I hear back from PlayseatHQ directly...
review image review image review image review image
on 9 January 2016
My first racing seat. I play F1 2015 a lot and this seat, along with my Thrustmaster T150 wheel has brought a completely new dimension to the game.
It's easy to assemble with multiple setting. I'm 6'01" and it suits me fine. It is very comfortable and allows hours of fun. If you like racing sims then this is a great purchase. Highly recommended.
on 14 February 2016
Don't be put off by its looks because this is all most will ever need from a gaming seat. Took 10 minutes to put together and is easy to adjust using very strong Velcro straps. The seat itself is alcantara, pedal base is padded and adjustable and when everything is done up its surprisingly solid feeling with almost no movement from anywhere. The wheel base is pre drilled to hard mount to and the pedals are secured with Velcro once against the end plate. Only note of caution is that if you are big it wont be as comfortable as its quite a slim fit, although it states it can take 120 kgs of weight to give you an idea of how well its made. Really cant see why people would buy a stand now this is available.
on 14 January 2016
This is the first time I’ve felt the need to write a review for a product I’ve bought off Amazon!

After playing DiRT Rally with the wheel clamped to my PC desk for about 8 months the time had come to look into a gaming seat but the main issue I have is space and the lack of it. Whatever solution I chose it had to be able to be put away in a cupboard and this is why I opted for the Playseat Challenge.

I was a bit dubious about it at first as basically it’s a deck chair with a bit of tubing! After assembling it which was easy and made some adjustments to my seating position via the Velcro straps I instantly found it a vast improvement to what I was using previously, in fact it really feels like you sitting in a proper gaming seat built to a high quality.

It takes about 2 mins to set up from getting it out of the cupboard and the same to put away again, the width of it when folded up is 21” which allows for easy storage when not in use.

If you’re looking for a real feel gaming seat but want the convenience of actually having your room back when it’s not in use then I highly recommend this product.

Update:

I bought the G29 gear shifter whilst it was still half price at PC World but there’s not a lot of mounting options on the Playseat, so I opted to make a custom bracket using 2” x 2” aluminium angle and a U bolt.

The angle needed a little bit of jig sawing and drilling and is clapped from the underneath with the U bolt, it’s very rigid and doesn’t move at all. The Playseat still folds up the same and the bracket doesn’t get in the way whilst using the seat.

When I get time it’ll be sprayed black to finish the job.
review image review image review image
on 15 June 2015
Very pleased with this product,good quality materials used and easy to set up .All that takes a bit of time albeit a couple of minutes is setting the seating position to your preference.I use this rig with a T300RS wheel and pedals set .Also when gaming session is over the chair folds up very compact taking up very little storage space.All in all a very good would definitely recommend to others.
on 8 January 2016
Amazing chair!
I'm using it with G29 and G29 shifter (shifter holder is separate)

+ it's fine for tall people (~190cm)
+ chair doesn't flimsy when you're in
+ wheel is really stable

- shift holder 20£ (although made it myself for 5£)
- cables all over the place (even bundled together)
- not that easy to fold