Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 2001
A great book, but I don't think that it's the easiest book to follow. Songs aren't often given in full and nearly all the examples are in standard C tuning - not G as you might expect. I'd stick with something more recent to begin with, preferable in G tuning if you are a complete beginner. :)
on 13 March 2002
If you have a clear idea of what style of banjo you want to learn, e.g. clawhammer or bluegrass, then there tutor books around which are probably better suited to your needs. However, as an introduction to the world of the 5-string banjo Pete Seeger cannot be beaten. The book has all the technical basics for a variety of playing styles, plenty of tunes to get started on and loads of charm.
The web offers a wealth of (free) resources in the form of tab or words to just about any song a banjo player would care to learn. However, there could be no better introduction to the music and folklore of the banjo than Pete Seeger's book. This book should be the one everyone starts on.
on 31 October 2001
I got this book when I got my first banjo in the late 60s, and found it to be invaluable. The style and presentation are informal and helpful. Other banjo tutors have been written since, but nearly 40 years down the line, this is still one of the best banjo books around.
on 8 June 2010
Bearing in mind this book was originally written in 1948, it is, by the author's own admission, a little dated, even in it's 2002 revised edition. Nevertheless, it is the perfect introduction to that older-style of banjo playing so often heard on re-released folk-music recordings. If you want to learn "modern" bluegrass-style banjo picking, this possibly wouldn't be the publication of first choice, but if you want a good all-round introduction to "how it used to be done" you'll probably not find a better book, especially at the price.
on 28 April 2009
I bought this book when it was first published.
I am one of the few who learned to play the 5 string banjo, properly ( including Scruggs picking) - inspired by this book, formed a band and now give lessons.

As Bob Dylan once said, "Keep on keepin' on".
on 28 December 2010
I bought a banjo in 1973, and a copy of this book to go with it. I never got on with the banjo but the book was a very entertaining read. Now I passed the banjo on to a friend and bought another copy of "How to play...". It's the same with the exception of the cover (now blue instead of red) and some amendments by the author inside the cover.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2015
I learned to play the 5 string almost 50 years ago using this book... So bought it out of pure nostalgia. Have no idea how well it would stand up to the mass of competing instruction books these days, but I still love its chatty nature and the coverage of so many styles... I'd say it was a necessity on every banjo players book shelf.
on 17 March 2015
I bought a copy of the Pete Seeger banjo tutor in 1959. It was the only tutor around then, now there are hundreds - but this is still the best one!!!
Full of useful advice, and glorifies the music, not the writer.
on 26 July 2015
very good value and helped me to play quite quickly
on 10 November 2014
And this is why Pete Seeger is a legend !!!