Style Name: NS Capo Lite|Change

on 1 December 2011
I've been playing classical guitar for a while now, and I recently needed a capo. In my ignorance, I presumed selecting a capo would be easy. However I soon realised there where several considerations:
1) Classical guitars need specific capo's. This rules out a lot of cheap 'electric/ acoustic' capo options.
2) Probably due to the niche market, capos for classicla guitar seemed quite expensive, some costing £30+
3) My guitar has quite a broad neck, so I wanted to ensure the capo selected would fit.
4) They come in a range of materials, plastic vs. metal with a variety of materials for the 'cushion' to fret the strings.
and finally
4) Few of the suitable capo's on amazon had product reviews, so I was stabbing a bit in the dark.

So why did I choose this one?
Firstly, it was mid price range. Not the cheapest, but by no means the most expensive. If I'm honest, at £15 it was still double the price I would have ideally paid (being a poor student) but quality costs. I feared the longevity of the plastic ones, and it seemed like it would fit my guitar- so I took a gamble.

Did it pay off?
Yes- it really did.
The capo arrived quickly, after slipping it out of its casing I was impressed by how light it was but how sturdy it felt.
The cushion to fret the guitar is a high density sponge which seems like it will withstand wear and tear (though mine is showing indents alread- but this is to be expected). The capo is fitted to the guitar buy manually screwing it tight (easier than it sounds) and allows greater precision and is a lot gentler than those that just clamp onto the guitar neck. When I play with the capo in place it sounds perfect, no buzzing at all.

Over all, its a bit expensive but its a piece of kit that will last, sounds perfect and is gentle on the guitar.
on 10 April 2012
Flamenco guitar players rely heavily on the use of a capo. I have tried a variety of capos (G7th, Kyser, Jim Dunlop, Shubb) and none of them were that good: they didn't clamp evenly, hard enough or were too prone to wear. Probably the most annoying of the weaknesses was the poor or uneven clamping pressure which meant that if a finger pushed a string slightly out of alignment, it stayed there and created a large gap between strings.

The Planet Waves version is very different. It is very light giving almost no weight on the neck. (Low weight on the neck is vital in order to maintain the classic flamenco position of balancing the guitar under the weight of the right arm). Because this capo has a micro dial, you can turn up the clamping pressure to suit. It is designed to sit precisely over the neck with no chance of missing a string. It has a low fingerboard profile so you don't get caught on it. I have been using it for about a month of playing string intensive flamenco techniques (triplet strums, rasgueos, pulgar and alzapuas) and it has held all strings solidly in place allowing good tone and reduced buzz. It is value for money and I highly recommend it.
on 7 January 2011
I am a novice guitarist and have never used a capo before. However, I did a lot of research before buying this item. I eliminated other types after studying reviews and I am more than pleased with my choice. It is small, light, simple and very easy to use. I have not experienced any buzzing and the guitar remains in perfect tune. The device is kind to the finish of the guitar and will not damage it even with frequent use. Not only is this capo a well made and excellent product but it is also very inexpensive. I highly recommend it.
on 12 June 2010
Planet Waves PW-CP-07 NS Capo Lite
I mainly use a Shubb capo, but this one is a really good alternative - it works well and is very light so can be carried unnoticed in a pocket and takes only fractionally longer to apply. Like the Shubb it can also be used as a partial Capo, leaving the bottom string out.
on 28 January 2012
This is the best Capo I've tried, better than Kyser or £24 G7th. Its light and its easy to tighen it just enough to cleanly raise the pitch, without sending the guitar too far out of tune. No capo I've used is as easy to set just the right amount of pressure - and its cheaper than other quality capo's. Liked the heft of the G7th, love Kysers' cut capo, but for a standard capo your search is over!
on 5 January 2016
I purchased the NS Capo Lite at the beginning of 2012 - it's now January 2016 and the capo is still working perfectly.
I have several guitars and a couple of ukuleles and this capo fits them all - from the skinny neck of my soprano uke to the fat wide neck of my full size classical guitar.
I much prefer the tightening method of the NS Lite compared to sprung capos some of which have such strong springs they damage fretboard by pressing the larger wound strings into the wood. The screw tensioner of this capo allows you to set just enough force to make the strings ring true without clamping down on them like a rottweiler.
It's also easy to move the capo from one fret to another using one hand - simply loosen the screw a little, reposition and tighten. Highly recommended.
on 5 November 2015
This is the best capo I have ever bought, and like many of you, I have bought loads. Like me you probably have some of those really expensive ones that failed to live up to the blurb about them, otherwise you wouldn't be looking for a new one. I have been playing the guitar for over 40 years and have gone through dozens of capos, most of which fail after a while. Because I play a 12 string, I find it difficult to find a decent and durable capo that works. This Planet Waves Capo does work without a hitch. It keeps the strings tight on the fretboard without distorting the sound. I would definety buy one of these again, but I don't think I will be doing so any time soon ;)
on 19 April 2012
I wanted a capo that did not change the tuning on my guitar, and also did not chafe my fingers (unlike the one I was using).

This one answered both needs very well. It is quick to put on: pressure can be adjusted to suit positioning, and contact area with strings is small, so they stay in tune with no buzz. Smooth, low profile, so no chafe.
on 3 November 2013
This Capo suits every need in ensuring you get a good grip on all strings, whether six or twelve. Not only that provided you put ait s close to the fret the better it holdsl the key.

Easy and simple to use I rate this five stars and because of the quality of workmanship.
on 11 May 2016
Played guitar for several decades with a variety of cheap capos. This is another world. Fast, one handed micro adjustment and able to hold the strings with minimal pressure so they do not go out of tune nor, so I have heard, wear away frets so quickly which can be a problem with strong non-adjustable capos. A superb bit of kit. If I lost it I'd definitely replace it.