Planet Hulk [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£3.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Planet Hulk is the animation of the Planet Hulk Omnibus - Hulk, tricked into a shuttle by the Avengers, is blasted into space but wrecks his navigation module in the process. Veering through an intergalactic portal, he winds up crashing on Planet Sakaar - ruled by the Red King. Hulk is weakened and fitted with an obedience disk and forced to fight in the gladiatorial arena for his life by the Red King and the imperial guard. Hulk wins his freedom with the help of his newfound friends and looks set to topple the Red King as the people of Sakaar believe him to be their prophet. Will the Hulk manage to rule Sakaar?

For fans of the comic; this is a heavily abridged version of the original - missing No Name of the Brood completely and skimping on back story on almost every character. Miek never finds his queen and becomes a king, they're never tasked with clearing the Wildebots. Instead of the Silver Surfer they use Beta-Ray Bill (why?!) etc etc. Most important to note is that this ends before the event that spurs World War Hulk - so has a happy 'ending'.

Discrepancies aside; this is a great Hulk-saga with a genuinely self-propelling story. Hulk's romance is rather underplayed, but it is good to see the big Green as something other than a force of destruction and the animation is fantastic. Marvel Animation & Lionsgate doing another great job. #

Extra Content: Opening Sequence: Thor: Tales of Asgard - Audio commentary by Supervising Producer Joshua Fine and Screenwriter Writer Greg Johnson - Audio commentary by Director Sam Liu, Character Designer Philip Bourassa and Key Background Painter Steve Nicodemus - "A Whole World of Hurt: The Making of Planet Hulk" featurette - "Let the Smashing Commence!: The Saga of Planet Hulk" featurette - "Rise Up" Astonishing X-Men music video -"Watch Your Step" Spider-Woman music video - Wolverine and the X-Men: "Wolverine vs. Hulk" episode - Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D motion comic - Astonishing X-Men: Gifted motion comic

There is one part where we see Hulk rip the Wildebots Emperor open (bear in mind this is a huge mechanical worm-type-thing) and his insides are just a black screen with video-flames. It looked like they were filming a BK advert inside the Emperor; very poor - but this is literally the only slip in the quality I noticed. Aside from this minor qualm, the quality of the voice-acting and animation coupled with the strong story will keep you captivated for the 81 minute duration. Recommended!
on 13 February 2010
Watched this today and have to say was not disappointed but not that impressed either. Hard to judge this simply because it only tells part of the story in the Planet Hulk Saga. The part of the story told was good but I have to say I was rather disappointed that there was no hint as to say there is more to the story or that there would even be a part 2.

As for the movie, it is as you would expect, the hulk smashing his way through and there is a lot of chopping and slicing so, definitely screen this before your younger kids watch it. It is entertaining, the fight scenes are well done but predictable, cinematography is not bad, so overall, it is a worthy effort, no doubt people that have read planet hulk comics will not be that impressed, it definitely could have been better. It gets 4stars simply because I am a fun of the Hulk and for over an hour, I was entertained.
on 30 October 2011
Plant Hulk is quite simply a ripping adventure story, well told and well put together. And I for one am delighted! I grew up as very much a Marvel kid rather than a DC kid. So I'm far from displeased that Marvel has finally come up with something that can hold its own against Bruce Timm's DC Animated Universe.

Planet Hulk is not quite as good as Bruce Timm at his absolute best; as seen in the likes of Batman - Mask of the Phantasm and the Project Cadmus story arc in Justice League Unlimited. But it is good, and there are also plenty of things that Bruce Timm has put his name to over the years that aren't up to the standard of Planet Hulk.

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I won't say much about the plot. There are just two observations I want to make...

First, the single thing I love most about Planet Hulk is that it's not yet another reboot origin story. We see far too many of those as it is. To me, that's just lazy writing. Damn it, we already know who Wonder Woman is and where she comes from! We already know who Spider Man is and where HE comes from! And we already know who... well, you get the point. Planet Hulk assumes we already know who and what The Hulk is and goes from there. Which is just fine with me.

Second, I want to draw attention to something another reviewer has already observed - that Planet Hulk clearly owes much both to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Carter of Mars novels, and Howard E Carter's Conan the Barbarian stories. On both counts I agree. But Planet Hulk is never merely derivative. It takes this noble heritage and actively builds upon it, creating something uniquely its own, and yes, uniquely Marvel.

One final point: the only real negative feeling I've noticed in the other reviews came from people who reckoned that Planet Hulk wasn't up to the standard of the comic on which it was based. I can't comment either way since I haven't actually seen that comic, although I'm not entirely unsympathetic. I can't help but think back to when the Tank Girl movie came out. Those who who saw it and hadn't read the comic book generally liked it. Only those of us who were familiar with Tank Girl in her original form understood what an insipid, watered down offering the movie really was.

What I will say is that if nothing else, this DVD was certainly good enough to convince me that I wanted to see the original comic.

In fact, I just put it on order.

Theo.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 October 2010
This was an okay effort but no where as entertaining (at least for me) as a number of the other Marvel animated movies that have been released thus far (I own all of them). As far as Hulk goes, his presence in the two Ultimate Avengers movies (the first one more), Hulk Vs and even the Avengers of Tomorrow movie were far more enjoyable on all levels (be it the action, dialogue [well lack of - Hulk talks a lot in this] or the general story line). Planet Hulk's story line was actually kinda boring - think Gladiator with Hulk instead of Maximus Decimus Meridius and that's it (note: I loved Gladiator - have it on DVD). Apart from the Avengers cameo appearance at the start, which sets up the story nicely, nothing else really stood out for me. That said I don't mind having it in my collection and at least it gave us something else to watch as my son keeps watching the same movies over and over again. However, on this occasion, I suspect my son won't be undertaking one of his intense repeat viewing sessions with this effort from Marvel.
on 6 June 2013
I love the comic story line and Planet Hulk, and loved what they did in World War Hulk. This movie takes some of the best stuff and important parts of the Planet Hulk series, the fights are more brutal they your average cartoon. Almost a manga level of violence it definitely earned the 12 age rating.

The story starts from Hulk being shot into space by the Illuminarty. They pan on sending him to a nice peaceful planet so he does not rampage through earth. The problem is being shot into space has really PI$$ed the Hulk off. He breaks free and knocks the shuttle off course. No he lands on a violent roman style planet where he is forced to play Spartacus in a gladiatorial surrounding. Hulk just want to be left alone but with every victory he brings hope the people of this planet who start to see him as their saviour.

The great thing about this story is not is not a "Puny" Bruce Banner story it is the Hulk unleashed no holding back. The Hulk is making the decisions, Hulk fighting for his survival, and later Hulk fighting for his people. Going through portal that brings Hulk to this world has weakened somewhat so the Hulk he can be cut, and hurt. He must learn fighting skills till his strength return to full. The closest version of this Hulk in the animated version is in Hulk Vs. Thor.

All you need to know about this DVD great animation. Great fight scenes. Even a great story line. In my opinion the best marvel animated movie to date.
on 16 February 2010
Well, I will admit that I never read the original comic, and that for the most part, I am a newcomer to the Incredible Hulk, and indeed all things Marvel or DC in general. That said, I loved this film. Marvel have pulled off a very good adventure here. The storyline is gripping, the Animation is brilliant, the musical score is sensational and the fights are Spectacular.

It was nice to see a different side to the Hulk, showing us that even the most savage of beasts has more to them than meets the eye. All the voice actors were undoubtedly talented,(I actually recognised some of them from other things). I enjoyed the short appearance of Thor and his weird looking buddy, not to mention Iron Man!

All in all this was quite simply classic, and I can't help but wonder were Marvel will take the story next. I also can't help but wonder why Marvel can do something amazing like this for the Hulk, but Sega won't even attempt it for Sonic the Hedgehog!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
An ancient prophecy. An exiled hero. One battle after another.

Hulk has been banished into space by the Illuminati. The reason? He’s simply too dangerous, too powerful and too unpredictable. Upon landing on the planet Sakaar, Hulk is taken captive and is forced to compete as a gladiator for the people’s entertainment. With no choice but to fight, Hulk must battle his way free, and not only for himself, but for an entire kingdom under the rule of an unpleasant emperor. Is Hulk the one foretold to come to usher in an era of peace?

I don’t know, man. This flick wasn’t really my thing, to be honest. It was a kind of Star Wars meets superhero thing that, while kind of interesting, didn’t really thrill me as a superhero fan.

But first, the pluses:

Loads of action. Hulk is fighting people pretty much all the time in this movie, and not only simply fighting them, but having to struggle against those nearly as powerful as himself. You don’t often see him doing that.

The sci-fi aspect was different and by having the story not take place on Earth, you got to see something that isn’t presented all too often in superhero flicks and/or cartoons.

The minuses (for me):

Hulk was the smart Hulk in this movie. Not the genius-level one, but he formed complete sentences, had genuine feelings, and wasn’t a big ball of rage like in Hulk vs. I’m a fan of the latter. I like the Hulk-smash Hulk. Not quite stupid, but certainly simple-minded, and an all-out force of meta-nature. Seeing him pretty much be a big green human wasn’t really my thing. I know others like that version of Hulk, which is fine, but I like the other one better.

The pacing was slow as well, with flashbacks that seemed to bog it down versus add to it. I know why they had them, but they didn’t really add to the tale and those scenes could’ve been simply mentioned versus shown.

Art’s subjective, but the cartooning style of this flick wasn’t up my alley. Whatever. It’s a minor point.

Wish I could say more about it, but this Hulk outing didn’t grab me like The Incredible Hulk or Hulk vs.

However, if you’re a Hulk fan, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it for that reason, and if you like the more intelligent Hulk, you’ll have a good time for sure.
on 7 March 2010
this animated offering from marvel is quite good.i liked the story.it's
nice to see a little thought put into it once in awhile.it doesn't take
a back seat to the action.in fact,i think the balance between the two
is about even.the action sequences are well done,and some are fairly
graphic,and bloody.this is a 14A film,for sure.the voice acting is
terrific here.Rick D. Wasserman provides the Hulk's voice and i don't
think anyone could be more suitable.
well.for me,Planet Hulk is a 4/5
on 3 April 2010
As the title of this review says "it's ok".

I was disappointed that the hulk was so eloquent and that I didn't get to hear "Hulk the strongest there is".
The story's a bit obvious and lacks any real depth.
The characters are just sort of droped into place and that's that.
The violence is surprising so definitely screen this before you allow your kids to watch it.

Overall...
Not bad but it isn't of the same quality as "Hulk Vs."
on 22 September 2013
After I bought this film I found the full version was on You-Tube, it was OK but not one I would watch again so should have just watched it for free - but anyway to the review of the actual film.

The animation is good, although I much preferred Hulk in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Volume 1 - 4 [DVD]and voiced by Fred Tatasciore who has an awesome Hulking voice.

The story starts well with Hulk sent in to space by Ironman, Dr Strange and Reed Richards but quickly turns into a fight for characters that I had never heard about before or cared about what happened to them as there was no investment built up in them throughout the film.

After it was over I was a little bored but thought, at least it would follow with the excellent graphic novel 'World War Hulk' and was really looking forward to it - however after more than three years there is no hint of a sequel.