Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2013
Kara Louise is one of my favorite authors but this storyline appeared to be too weird for me. Fortunately I read another review that gave me the courage to read it and I do not regret it. It's a great book!

The story is indeed very different and difficult to believe in the beginning, however, as we continue to read, it becomes more believable.

For me 2 main premises seamed strange before I read the book, the way the author wrote them was actually believable.

First - Mr. Darcy portraying a pirate? Yes, it sounds strange, but the book explains how this could happen very well, and it is actually charming. It is not that strange as it might appear if you have not read the book.

Second - Elizabeth does not recognize the man who purposed to her only 2 months ago? Again, it sounds strange, but it is very easy to believe it. When she sees Mr. Darcy impersonating a pirate, he has long hair, long beard, and an injury above his eye which is completely covered. Apart from that, he speaks as a commoner (something he learned before) and is in the Mediterranean, so it is not obvious that it could be Mr. Darcy. Also, she always things something is wrong, that he appears to be familiar, and discovers his true identity only after a couple of days. So if you're thinking about not reading the book just because of these 2 premises, give it a shot. The author is very good and did a great job explaining everything so the book is actually believable.

The book is very good. Very well written, very romantic and intense without any lack of propriety, the characters are very true to themselves, and I loved the fact that Elizabeth realizes she is in love with Mr. Darcy in the middle of the book. I always like when I read a story where she is also in love with him in the book and not only in the end.

If you're expecting a lot of sex scenes, this book is not for you. It does not have a single one. If you're looking for something intense and romantic, than this is perfect. Kara Louise did it again. I hope she writes a new book asap!
on 16 July 2013
When I first read the blurb for this story I thought it sounded very... improbable. The idea of Darcy being brought so low by Lizzy's rejection and abandoning all care for his personal appearance and to sprawl around London, rather drunk, and then to be mistaken for a pirate all seemed a little... far-fetched. However, once I got past that and thought `why not', I really rather enjoyed this story, much more than I was expecting to. It was a story full of fast-paced adventure, amusing comedy and passionate romance.

Having Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pemberley mistaken as the infamous pirate Lockerley, with his long beard and curly hair, and consequently thrown into jail was funny in itself, but then to have Darcy agree to impersonate this pirate in the hopes to catch the real Lockerley was even funnier! Imagining Mr Darcy agreeing to something like that is difficult, I grant you (especially given that disguise of every sort is his abhorrence), but it soon seemed like a perfectly normal adventure for Darcy to get involved with! It was a lot of fun, once he had agreed to this impersonation, to see Darcy trying to `forget' how to be a gentleman (and his "gentleman-like manner"!), walk with a much less graceful posture and learn to talk like a commoner!

Once Darcy was able to drop the Lockerley act, he still couldn't reveal his true identity (well, didn't want to - it would be a little embarrassing wouldn't it?) he adopted the character of a rather heroic and dashing Captain Smith. And it falls to this Captain Smith to rescue a certain Miss Elizabeth Bennet who has been taken hostage by pirates (three guesses which pirate!) who very quickly falls for this mysterious captain, whom she seems to recognise (I wonder why?). I can easily see why Lizzy would fall for Captain Smith; Darcy makes a rather magnificent pirate and there are some rather impressive sword fights (where Darcy's fencing skills finally come in useful!)

There were many clever quotes and scenes which are recognisable from the original story but put into a completely different context (such as Lady Catherine's disapproval of Darcy's actions (and not because of his choice of bride this time!)). As Lizzy does not recognise Darcy straightway (understandably!) there are a few scenes where previous meetings and conversations are referred to (such as the conversations at Netherfield and their dance at the ball) which was rather amusing to read and very clever at times.

And never fear Wickham was still in the story but the way in which Darcy comes to the rescue of Lydia is in a completely different way to the original and was a clever way to bring Wickham into the story I thought. Georgiana also makes an appearance and her relationship with Lizzy was sweet, if little seen and explored in this variation.

Something which always annoyed me when I read Pride and Prejudice in my English class at school was the number of cynics among my class who said the only reason (and I emphasise only) Lizzy changed her mind and married Darcy was because of Pemberley, which is nonsense. (Yes she says `And of this place I might have been mistress' and yes she jokes that she first in love with Darcy after `my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley' but no, she was not being serious!) Anyway, in most other variations I have read (if not all other) Lizzy does see Pemberley before they marry. However, (I am finally coming to my point now!) Lizzy never actually sees Pemberley till after the marriage; so there, cynics in my class! It was quite nice to have a story where she fell for Darcy without seeing him in his own environment contributing at all, as it does play an important part in many variations as well as, of course, the original story.

As for the romance, you will not be disappointed. It was, without giving anything away, a perfect ending. For the story, the set up for the ending was ... well, perfect. It cleverly linked back to important scenes earlier in the story when Darcy was disguised as Captain Smith. In fact, throughout the final few chapters when Darcy was once again the clean-shaven, well dressed gentleman we all know, there were many links and references back to the pirating adventure. The ending was also not abrupt, as it sometimes can be, as we see some sweet little scenes of the wedding day and there is a short epilogue where we see what became of some of the characters we met earlier in the story, which is always a nice touch.

Although this is the most far-fetched variation I have read, it has easily been one of the most enjoyable Pride and Prejudice variations, without a doubt! It is such a lot of fun, full of adventure and breathtaking romance! I stayed up rather late into the night to finish this one, which has to be a good sign. Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy now has some stiff competition from Captain Fitzwilliam Darcy!
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This was such a fun variation on Pride and Prejudice! We pick up with Darcy after his failed proposal at Hunsford. He has let himself go and is wallowing in his misery; he's rented a room near the docks so nobody of his acquaintance sees him in this state because his hair is a mess, he hasn't shaved in ages, and he spends his days boozing to forget. He is almost unrecognisable, and he gets mistaken for the pirate Lockerly. Luckily, due to the fact that Lockerly has a scar that Darcy doesn't, Darcy doesn't get hung as a pirate but due to his uncanny resemblance to the pirate he is asked to pose as him in hopes that the real Lockerly will be tempted out of hiding. Although disguise of every sort is his abhorrence, Darcy is persuaded to comply, dressing as Lockerly and learning some less gentlemanly lingo. He hopes that having this deception to focus on will take his mind off the lovely Miss Bennet that found him so lacking as a gentleman.

Unbeknown to him, the same Miss Elizabeth Bennet is accompanying her father to visit his sister on the Isles of Scilly. On their return trip their vessel gets into difficulties and the ladies get taken ashore to an island but when the sailors try to get the men to shore they run into the real pirates. Luckily, there is a fake Lockerly nearby who is on hand to help....

What follows involves mistaken identity, sword fighting, swashbuckling, rope swinging, pirate treasure, changed viewpoints and some lovely, lovely romance. If you are looking for something that Jane Austen herself may have written, then this probably isn't it; but if you are willing to have a bit of fun with your Austenesque variations then I'd certainly recommend this one! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 22 June 2013
I have read all of Kara Louise's books and enjoyed each of them and I'm always pleased to see a new one published, but I could not understand how on earth she could wangle events for Darcy to become a pirate, however it was a clever idea, playing on his sense of honour and decency at a time of his life when in the depths of despair. This is not zombies or vampires or another fantastical scenario but a possible (even though improbable) event. It is pure fairy tale, but so is Pride and Prejudice.
I love the romance in Kara Louise's books. Darcy and Lizzy stay true to their characters; Lizzy remains feisty in the face of adversity and Darcy is the true hero whilst still showing his vulnerable side where Lizzy is concerned. You can feel the passion without blushing! We don't see much of Georgiana but I like the relationship portrayed between the siblings. I will no doubt read this one again when I feel in need of a bit of fun.
on 9 September 2013
I had a sample of this book saved to my kindle for a few weeks before I read it. I really wasn't sure what to make of the concept, and if it would be pure farce....

I'm so glad I read it, it's a lot more believable than I anticipated and thoroughly enjoyable throughout. Darcy is just excellent, even the state of his self-neglect is brilliant and believable. If you're a fan of JA fan-fiction I think you'll love this book too!
on 30 September 2013
I love this, more than Darcy's voyage. Wish someone would make this into a mini animation, if not a movie.
It could totally happen (except maybe the Thames police, were they around already? No worries, don't let history and accuracy of details pull down a good story.) Very light hearted fun reading, will read again. Need to visit Scilly, now
on 7 August 2013
A fun retelling of pride and prejudice on the high seas. It is completely unbelievable - which for me makes it fun and interesting. Definately not for the JA purist. But for me swashbuckling good! Love Kara Louise's books as she brings a Darcy and Elizabeth story where others would not look.
on 2 December 2013
I honestly did not really expect to like this book, largely because of the title, but it is really very sweet. I bought it after a friend's recommendation, and I was not disappointed at all. I liked Darcy in this book very much, especially the parts when he was learning to be a pirate.
on 3 October 2013
This made me laugh out loud. Just imagining Darcy wallowing in his despair at not having Lizzy and becoming a pirate. Thought this might be too far fetched and in some ways it is, but it worked for me and I do re-read it.
on 10 August 2013
This was a really different take on a great story it had some fab characters who reflected the book but brought a new version of the story to life.